Just binged on 4000 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It is possible to have an eating disorder and be of normal weight. But the ED will eventually lead someone out of the normal weight zone.

The problem with an ED is the attitude toward food and eating, sometimes with an associated mis-perception of one's own body shape or conditioning--"body dysmorphia", and often with issues about feeling 'control' in some aspect of life.

The result is a lot of suffering by the person with the ED, and negative impact on social relationships as loved ones become concerned (and often meddlesome as a result of that concern).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP is not at un underweight BMI. Her BMI is 18.5 which is classified as "normal".
    She just dieted to get to the absolute LOWEST acceptable BMI for "normal".
    18.5 "normal" 18.4 underweight. She was "normal" 10 pounds heavier.

So what? Any of us qualified to be the "BMI police"? If she feels healthy at that weight, it is normal, so stop harping on it. The normal range is like a 30+ pound range. Why would it be any more normal for her to be 135 vs 125 vs 155: all in the "normal" BMI range.
    I've been here a while. I've seen many of these threads.
    Best of luck on your journey.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    As already indicated- your body is looking for nutrients from something. Eat a little more on a daily basis, including a small indulgence daily. You'll be much less likely to binge.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    To me, bingeing means that you feel as if you cannot control what goes into your mouth. That is not a good place to be, mentally, whether it means that you undereat or overeat regularly, or have some other eating dysfunction.

I am not a professional who can say whether you have an eating disorder, but it does not sound like you have a healthy or happy relationship with food.

You wrote "I am disgusting". So sad! You are anything but disgusting. You deserve to treat yourself better and love who you are.

Talk to a therapist and see a nutritionist and figure out what "healthy" eating is, and how to do it, from the professionals.

There are some good comments on MFP (including mine - ha ha), but that is no substitute for medical advice.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It is possible to have an eating disorder and be of normal weight. But the ED will eventually lead someone out of the normal weight zone.

The problem with an ED is the attitude toward food and eating, sometimes with an associated mis-perception of one's own body shape or conditioning--"body dysmorphia", and often with issues about feeling 'control' in some aspect of life.

The result is a lot of suffering by the person with the ED, and negative impact on social relationships as loved ones become concerned (and often meddlesome as a result of that concern).

I don't necessarily agree, as many people with binge eating disorder are overweight and many people with bulimia are normal to overweight, though I know some are underweight as well. For anorexia, yes, I would agree that one could be normal weight and anorexic, but that individual would, most likely, get to the underweight category. But I am not qualified to make a diagnosis, especially based on what the OP wrote, that she is suffering from any type of mental illness and/ or eating disorder. I'm only saying that, at this point, she is not considered to be "underweight" by standard BMI charts. That might change tomorrow and, if it does, can be re-evaluated then. People seem to be so fine when someone hits a BMI of 24.9 so that they are not "overweight" anymore. So why are people so quick to jump on "you got a problem, you're underweight" when one's BMI is 18.5?

A previous poster said she dieted until she got to the LOWEST possible "normal" BMI and implied that this was a problem. But if one diets to the HIGHEST possible "normal" BMI, that is perfectly acceptable? Sounds like a double standard you cannot win.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I don't necessarily agree, as many people with binge eating disorder are overweight and many people with bulimia are normal to overweight, though I know some are underweight as well. For anorexia, yes, I would agree that one could be normal weight and anorexic, but that individual would, most likely, get to the underweight category. But I am not qualified to make a diagnosis, especially based on what the OP wrote, that she is suffering from any type of mental illness and/ or eating disorder. I'm only saying that, at this point, she is not considered to be "underweight" by standard BMI charts. That might change tomorrow and, if it does, can be re-evaluated then. People seem to be so fine when someone hits a BMI of 24.9 so that they are not "overweight" anymore. So why are people so quick to jump on "you got a problem, you're underweight" when one's BMI is 18.5?

A previous poster said she dieted until she got to the LOWEST possible "normal" BMI and implied that this was a problem. But if one diets to the HIGHEST possible "normal" BMI, that is perfectly acceptable? Sounds like a double standard you cannot win.
    Based on the OP the entirety of the OP, do YOU believe she's in a healthy place with food?
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    38 degrees celsius actually! thanks guys, I think I will seek help!

I believe this is a good idea....Goodluck.

For future purpose, i am not an expert but mathematically ....Female, 5.9', 19yrs, 125lbs puts you at a healthy BMI of 18.5 BUT Female, 5.9', 19yrs, 124lbs puts you at an unhealthy underweight BMI of 18.3
    and have been counting calories obsessively.

There is nothing wrong with counting calories obsessively, don't be worried or feel bad about this.
    about a month ago I developed a binge eating disorder, and now it's blowing way out of control. Sometimes I have 4000 calorie binges.

Also nothing wrong with this if it is under control and done properly, most of us have cheat days and i am sure we sometime hit 4000 calories. Not counting Breakfast, lunch or Dinner. I had 3 4.5square inc chocolate cake with cream cheese icing on Friday, each one is 1000 calories. i am sure i hit 4000 easily on Friday. However i do not do this everyday and because i log my food i am aware i have had this cheat day and make up for it on other days. However the key is that, i control this or like to think i do anyway.
    I know, i'm disgusting and i'm probably going to gain all the weight back i worked so hard to lose. Will this binge do severe harm to my body? I almost never have sugar, but i ate so much today? and any tips on how to avoid this?

I don't think you are disgusting, as long as it is not a disorder it will not do any severe harm to your body. Which is why i feel that your decision to talk to a professional is the best. Best case scenario you will be able to identify if it is a disorder. Regarding tips, personally i have found eliminating sugar entirely does not work for me, i may be sugar free for 1 month, but if someone blow icing sugar:smile: in my direction...oh dear... i start the whole sugar again and start binging, i try not to be too restrictive, it does not work for me and leads to binging. what works for me is giving in to my "sugar" need every now and then and then making up for it. E.g on Friday and Saturday...i may go crazy on cake, chocolate and ice cream and Sunday to Thursday only have fruits and yogurt as desserts instead of cakes and ice cream
    I was thinking of stopping counting calories, as it has made me a hyper obsessive person...thanks!

I dont believe this is the problem. In my opinion it probably helped, by counting you recognised when there was a problem. If you did not count it may not have been obvious

Goodluck in whatever you decide
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options

People seem to be so fine when someone hits a BMI of 24.9 so that they are not "overweight" anymore. So why are people so quick to jump on "you got a problem, you're underweight" when one's BMI is 18.5?

I may be wrong but in my opinion. If a BMI "overweight" person hits a BMI of 24.9 which puts them in the normal range then people are fine or congratulate the person because you have moved from BMI "overweight" to BMI "normal."

Similarly i am sure that if a BMI "underweight" person moves to 18.5 people will be fine and congratulate the person because they have moved from BMI "underweight" to BMI "normal".

I do not think that there is a double standard, i suspect that if a BMI "normal" person moves up to 24.9 or down to 18.5 the reaction would be the same. The reaction in my opinion is determined by the direction.

I may be wrong
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Based on the OP the entirety of the OP, do YOU believe she's in a healthy place with food?

Actually, no I don't. But in no way is it because of her BMI. And, I repeat, I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist or any kind of a doctor and, therefore, my opinion counts for nothing. Only she is going to know if there is a problem. And even people who are anorexic, even if they deny it to everyone else, know that there is something wrong.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should consider seeking the help of a therapist who specializes in eating disorders.

You may end up much happier.

The binge is over. Forgive yourself, forget about it and move on.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Actually, no I don't. But in no way is it because of her BMI. And, I repeat, I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist or any kind of a doctor and, therefore, my opinion counts for nothing. Only she is going to know if there is a problem. And even people who are anorexic, even if they deny it to everyone else, know that there is something wrong.
    My opinion counts for nothing as well. But when "binged" is followed by a low BMI, "obsessively" and "binge eating disorder", "out of control" and the post that followed, then, well, I draw conclusions. Which apparently make you fret. :flowerforyou:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    OP is not at un underweight BMI. Her BMI is 18.5 which is classified as "normal".

So what? Any of us qualified to be the "BMI police"? If she feels healthy at that weight, it is normal, so stop harping on it. The normal range is like a 30+ pound range. Why would it be any more normal for her to be 135 vs 125 vs 155: all in the "normal" BMI range.
    When you're at 18.5 BMI and doing fine that's a little different from 18.5 and bingeing. Bingeing comes from restricting. Restricting comes from trying to lose more weight.

I would even doubt that BMI because it IS right on the cusp. If the OP has posted her real stats before and been told she's underweight, she'd probably be smart enough to pad it from then on if that's not the type of response she wants.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've been on a diet for the past 8 months, and have been counting calories obsessively. I basically didn't allow myself to have any sweets for most of the 8 months. I ate tones of veggies, whole grains and lean meats. 've managed to lose about 10 pounds, and am now at a healthy weight for my height ( 5'9, 125 pounds) however, about a month ago I developed a binge eating disorder, and now it's blowing way out of control. Sometimes I have 4000 calorie binges. Today I had: Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, 6 walnuts.
    Lunch: lean cut beef, a salad, 1 slice of smoked salmon and a peach and a slice of cheese.
    Dinner: a big bowl of lentils with rice, then i binged and had almost 200 grams of dark chocolate, maple syrup and a banana, 1 small cookie, 1 teaspoon of peanut butter, handfuls of raisins, toast with lots of butter and a bowl of cornflakes and a big glass of milk. I know, i'm disgusting and i'm probably going to gain all the weight back i worked so hard to lose. Will this binge do severe harm to my body? I almost never have sugar, but i ate so much today? and any tips on how to avoid this? I was thinking of stopping counting calories, as it has made me a hyper obsessive person...thanks!

I've also had trouble working out lately, i can't afford a gym membership, so i've been working out by running in the park. However, it''s 35-38 degrees so i've been missing working out lately...
    Please speak with a professional about your food issues. At 5 ft 9 and 135 pounds, you were not overweight in the first place. Now it sounds like you are underweight. http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm?OVRAW=proper weight for height&OVKEY=proper weight height&OVMTC=standard

Please take a look at this website as well: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

If she feels healthy at that weight, it is normal, so stop harping on it.
    Do you tell someone who is anorexic or obese that if they feel healthy at their weight then it is normal?

The OP is clearly headed down the ED road.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge-er from a family of binge-ers.

I too have put up messages up on this board of disgust and despair when I have binge-eaten.

I feel worse now that i am thin, like I'm gonna gain it all back because of one incident.

Here is what helps me-

Log what I ate, in a cold, detached way. In your notes, maybe record "binge".

Realize that it takes 3500 calories to gain 1 lb. how quick does a pound come off? A week? No big deal.

Take mental and physical care of yourself for a bit. I brush my teeth and take a shower after a binge. The next day I try to drink lots of water and rest up.

Try to remind yourself how long it's been since your last binge. The farther apart they are, the better you will feel.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    it happens..i wouldn't worry too much about it, just try to get back on track tomorrow...being overly strict on your diet is what's leading to these binges, you should add some treats that stay within your calorie goal..and on days when you go slightly over don't turn that day into a "already messed up, may aswell eat everything under the sun" day...
  • BigDuck25
    Options
    There is no 1 meal that can derail a healthy lifestyle; as long as it doesn't turn into 2 meals, and 3 meals, etc. Realize that it's done and now it's time to continue on. Never beat yourself up for one slip up.