Running Clothes Suggestions

Options
So the weather is starting to change. Soon we will be into the cooler weather of fall and winter. I notice the stores are already changing their clothing line for the winter. I was wondering what people wear for fall and winter running outdoors. My concerns are warmth and safety running on winter roads. Any suggestion clothing wise? I know obviously reflection and light colors compared to black. I am just wondering should I lair clothes or will that make me too hot?, Will any normal sweat pants clothing do or is their something specific that I should buy? Hat, gloves or anything like that I should remember to have?

Anyways thanks for any suggestions you have to offer?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You're always better off to be dressed in a way that you'll be a little chilly at the beginning of the run.

In the fall the main worry is(that you've already identified) shorter days, less light & visibility. I have a running shell that I'll wear when it's a little chilly and before / after sunrise / sunset that has reflective striping all around. Personally I'll wear shorts down to about freezing and maybe go with a long sleeve jersey.

Once you get below freezing you need to start thinking about layering. In early winter I'll typically wear running tights, a long sleeve running shirt and a lightweight half-zip and my shell. As temperature drop (and it gets down to -40C here) I'll add my touque, merino wool base layer, merino wool socks and nice warm gloves.

There's a bit of trial and error involved but the good thing is that most of this stuff will give you years of service and is still cheaper than a dreadmill.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,216 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No advice, just in for cooler weather running gear suggestions. :):flowerforyou:
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Wear what is most comfortable for you. I bought a few pair of leggings and like them for running in cooler weather but you might not care for that. I second the suggestion to dress so you are a little cool at first. That changes quickly.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Too soon. Still trying to deal with this dang heat and humidity!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    After 6 years of doing a Thanksgiving 5K in New England, I finally have it down! Temps are usually in the 30s (F). I wear leggings (I wore yoga pants at first which are fine, but leggings actually help keep my legs warmer), a moisture-wicking tank top with a long sleeve tech shirt over it, non-bulky gloves, and a fleece headband to keep my ears warm. I've tried hats before but my head ends up getting to hot and I rip it off halfway through. I am COLD before the race starts but I am always thankful I didn't wear anything more while I'm running. If you can quickly get inside before and after your run, less is more.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I love my running tights for chilly runs.

I have an amazing running jacket by Sugoi called the Versa - the sleeves are magnetically attached so that if I get going and I'm too warm, I just pop off the arms, stuff them in my pocket and voila - running vest! It's also highly reflective. http://www.sugoi.com/usa/versa-jacket-10027174.html

I agree with previous posters who say it's better to dress so that you're a bit chilly when you start. Nothing is worse than overheating on your run.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I quit running last winter when it got cold but I missed it so much that I went back in February. February in NY is NOT warm. I have two pairs of fleece lined running tights (Nike & Underarmor). 2 underarmor compression cold gear tops (long sleeve). 1 Champion cold weather hoodie and 1 underarmor storm hoodie.

THey get the job done.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I live north of Pittsburgh and run outside all winter, unless the temp drops below zero or there is too much ice. Last year I did a lot of runs in single digit temps. My go to stuff is Mizuno Thermo Breath....shirts, running tights, jacket, gloves, socks, hats... awesome light-weight stuff that wicks away your sweat, traps it and converts it to heat. Absolutely amazing stuff. I would be cold the first mile or two, but once I would start sweating, I would get nicely warm...
  • kickasscleaning
    kickasscleaning Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK and am currently in denial about the changing weather haha. I wear a tshirt, basketball shorts and a pair of my mum's old shoes.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have a 3/4 pair of yoga leggings and a full length pair of running leggings (both of which I believe are under armour) that I run in on chilly mornings/into the fall. They're black, so I just pair them with a sports bra and a bright hoodie so that I can be seen. For the most part I run sidewalks or trails though, so I'm not usually too worried about cars.

I've yet to decide if I want to be an out door winter runner. I remember trying a few times last year and getting an awful metallic taste in my mouth, which paired with difficulty breathing, I was not so happy with. I'm in better shape this time around though, so I may stick with it... or I'll find a gym with an indoor track.
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My best advice, layers are your friend. Wearing a couple layers that can be packed mid run is better than overdressing. A long sleeve tech shirt over a short sleeve for example. Sun comes out and peel off a layer and throw it around your waste. Run with a pack? Throw in an ultralight portable rain coat. You may not use it mid run but on a cold wet day when you're done and cooling down, you may appreciate it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I live in Georgia.

I have capris, leggings and warm up pants. I will wear the warm-up pants over leggings if it is both cold and wet. I'll wear cotton shorts over the leggings on colder dry days.

I have wicking long sleeved shirts, fleece shirts, fleece hoodies and an outer shell with a zip in fleece lining. I wear a long sleeved shirt and add layers as appropriate. On days where it's a little cool, but I'm going to warm up running, I'll wear a singlet with arm warmers. A lot of times, gloves with a long sleeved shirt is a great strategy. On colder days, I'll throw a cotton t-shirt (you know all those race shirts you end up with?) over a long sleeved shirt.

My feet don't end up too cold, so I just wear normal socks.

I have hats, hoodies, a neck gaiter, ear warmers, head scarves and a balaclava.

The rule of thumb is to dress for 10 degrees warmer. So, if it's 65* dress for 75*F.

99% of the time, a pair of capris, a long sleeved shirt, a head scarf and gloves will be everything you need through the cooler fall days.

http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Someone told me last year, as I prepared to face my first Canadian prairie fall and winter of outdoor running, to dress for 10 degrees warmer than the actual temperature.

So, for the most part in fall, I'm happy just in regular running tights, a dri-wear tee and a long sleeve shirt over top. I have light running gloves if my fingers feel cold, and a buff that can be worn multiple ways to protect my ears from windy days.

I ran outside this past winter a few times, the coldest time it was -32C. I wore the same as above, with a pair of fleece pants over my tights, and a fleece lined jacket over my shirt. I also wore a full faced bellaclava that had 2" of frost build up on it when I got home. But, I wasn't chilled.

I LOVE Under Armor cold gear!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    jX3ZQr4.jpg?2

If you really want to be elite, I suggest a reflective, thumb-hole running top like this one.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Reflective and rain resistant is going to be what I need to stock up on. I'd like to try to keep it going year round, but the Vancouver winter rain is pretty relentless.
  • asheserin
    asheserin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I believe the rule is to dress for 20 degrees (F) warmer than it is outside. So if it's 30F, dress like you would if it was 50F. Your body heat from activity will make up the difference. Sweat-wicking running hats and gloves are helpful for COLD running weather, but if it's over freezing I often find myself whipping those off within a few minutes of starting my run.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    For me it was definitely an trial and error thing, and several runs taking note of the conditions and how I felt based on how I was dressed. I'd rather start chilly that be overheated by mile 2! I've learned what I can get away with by temp, wind, sunny or overcast, etc.

Layers for sure. Wicking fabrics, same as summer - you don't want sweat soaked cotton hanging on you and making you colder, especially when you stop. I hate things tied around my waist or flapping when fully unzipped, so I've gathered a pretty good collection of half-zip long sleeved tops - bonus if they have thumb-holes and can be pulled at least part way over the hands. If it's really cold, I can put a layer underneath for more core warmth. And my "really cold" is really rare as I live in California, so snow and ice are not a factor for me, just the occasional mornings in the 30's, or thick fog with 40's. :tongue:

Top to bottom, I have these items for winter running -

Fleece beanie
    Fleece ear wrap
    Neck gaiter (never used it, but I've got one!)
    Half zip long sleeved tech tees
    Half zip merino wool long sleeved tees (Costco has these the past two years and I LOVE them!)
    Wicking tanks and short sleeved tees
    Gloves with a techy-touch finger & thumb so I can still use my phone apps/music
    Windbreaker/shell type jacket
    Fleece vest
    Compression tights (full length)
    Compression capris
    Compression bike length shorts
    WOOL SOCKS - love love love my Smartwool socks! Happy feet!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    jX3ZQr4.jpg?2

If you really want to be elite, I suggest a reflective, thumb-hole running top like this one.

In for elitism.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Heh, it's 95 degrees Fahrenheit out here this time of year so I haven't even begun to think about this, but it is a smart topic.

It doesn't get quite this cold where I live (last year I think it hit 40 once) but this is something I'll have to think about this year because I recently started running. I figure I'll be ok in some lightweight sweats and a lightweight zip jacket. Maybe I'll have to break out the hoodies but I doubt it.

Reflective is a smart idea especially if you run in the early morning or after dinner. Where I live in the winter it gets dark around 5:30pm or so, ha.