I can't run.

Options
13»

Replies

• michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K also, finished week 1 last night. I didn't think I could run either after multiple strains and sprains over the years (the most recent is just over a year old and I still have some balance issues on that side sometimes).

It sounds to me like, aside from probably needing a new pair of running shoes, that you're going to fast too soon. If I were to try to run full tilt I'd probably make it about 30 seconds before I'd have a stitch in my side so bad I'd have to lie down. You haveta work up to being able to actually run and walk/jog intervals can help build the endurance for it.

Best of luck!
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    1) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
    2) Slow down...like really slow down...walkers might pass you, but that's okay
    3) C25K
    4) Shoes
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I can do 20 mins switching between walking and jogging, but instead of feeling good and refreshed after, my body really hurts, I have trouble walking, and it doesn't feel like I got a "good" workout.

What I'm hearing is you can do 20 minutes switching between jogging and walking. Yeyyy! Well done :-) Now just keep going.

When I first started trying to jog, I could barely do a 15 minute walk, let alone jog. My first attempts at jogging involved running for ten seconds, because that was all I could manage before I felt like I was dying / collapsing. I simply carried on; I built up to 30 seconds, then I managed to do 30 seconds every 5 minutes, then 1 minute every 5 minutes. Now I can jog for a hour without stopping. I am NOT fast, but I can jog :-)

Remember that it isn't about doing things that are easy, it's about carrying on doing things that are hard. Over time they will become easier. You have made a start, now just carry on :-)
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much all I wanted to say. I exercise 30-45 minutes 3x week. I can do the elliptical or arc trainer at a medium-high intensity for this amount of time no problem, and often will follow up with a short walk (10-15 mins) to loosen up after.

But as soon as I try to run, even jog, I just. Can't. Do it. I will get this terrible pain (usually on my right side) within 1-2 minutes of jogging, even when I stretch beforehand. I don't know why this is so hard, when the other machines are so easy. Even when I "train" to try and build up my endurance, I can do 20 mins switching between walking and jogging, but instead of feeling good and refreshed after, my body really hurts, I have trouble walking, and it doesn't feel like I got a "good" workout.

I want to take up running. It's easy; you can do it anywhere. I'm very frustrated that the one type of exercise I really WANT to do is so hard for me.

Tips?

I completely agree with you. I started my journey weighing in at 337 lbs. I started working out eliptical, weights, stationary bike same as you. I decided to tackle the treadmill. I couldn't even run a full minute. I just kept at it. I was so sore...I mean running at 300+ lbs is no easy feat to the rest of the body. But as I kept going, I got better. This summer I really started taking my run outside. I started a c25k app that really eases you into it and before I knew it I was running for 3 minutes and then 5 minutes. Stretch! That is something I have come to LOVE! Especially AFTER a run! A hot shower and a nice stretch, maybe even mutliple stretches. I combine a lot of different ones. Whatever makes me ooo and ahhh is usually best. Soak your feet even in a ice bucket, I haven't tried it, but I may because sometimes my feet just ache. Also being sure you have the right gymshoes. I went with Reebok Running shoes and they are quite divine also New Balance cross training type gym shoes. I hope these tips can help because yes, it is a great full body workout. Stick with a routine and you will get better at it. I am in the 280's now and I'm so happy to include running as part of my regimen, it's a great stress reliever for me for sure! Baby steps. You can do it! :drinker: :flowerforyou: