Learn from my mistakes

Options
I lost 40 pounds and kept it off for a year, but my propensity for seeing everything I do as complete success or absolute failure, without anything in between, caused me to gain it all back plus 20 more. It happened after a long vacation when I discovered I had gained five pounds and I was devastated. I had been following a very strict diet perfectly, but had allowed myself a few treats on my trip. Frustrated, I gave up, since I was obviously a "failure", and fell back into my old bad habits. I know, hard to believe. I could kick myself.

Now, here I am, losing it all over again. But this time around I have learned that no fad diet can be eaten forever, it really is a lifestyle change, and just because I have a gain doesn't mean I have failed. There really is no magic to it, it is a slow process. But the time will pass anyway so why not make each day count toward your goal, instead of away from it? I have learned to cut myself some slack and just try to do better the next day if I slip up on my goals. I turned 59 this year so I am much older now but it is never too late to decide to take better care of yourself. I have gone from a size 22 to a 16 and my hips, knees and back don't hurt anymore.

The one piece of advice I can offer is that no amount of wishing will make the fat go away or give you back your youthful figure. It takes hard work and there are no short cuts. But it is SO worth every effort, and you can do it. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can.

Replies

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    This is a really great reminder for those of us who aren't "there" yet, that sometimes there isn't really a "there." I've seen the all-or-nothing attitude fail miserably with loved ones, and with myself as well. Thanks for sharing your story, it definitely resonates with me.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    JulieGirl, you are a very wise and wacky woman. Think I"ll keep you.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I basically did the same thing and it's been AWFUL trying to re-lose it ever since. Thanks for the encouraging post. :drinker:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful reminder. Thank you and welcome back!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds and kept it off for a year, but my propensity for seeing everything I do as complete success or absolute failure, without anything in between, caused me to gain it all back plus 20 more. It happened after a long vacation when I discovered I had gained five pounds and I was devastated. I had been following a very strict diet perfectly, but had allowed myself a few treats on my trip. Frustrated, I gave up, since I was obviously a "failure", and fell back into my old bad habits. I know, hard to believe. I could kick myself.

This is such an important reminder.

Same story. I was fat as a boy/teen, hated it, lost almost all the weight in my late 20s. Everyone couldn't stop telling me how good I looked. But because my mind was warped, all I saw was the weight I had left to lose. My body didn't look all that different in my mind than it did 60-70 lbs prior. Eventually I regained all the weight, plus double. Only years later did I realize how close I was to my goal and how far I'd really come. If you don't get your mind together, and change how you see yourself, you can easily destroy all your progress.