cooking spray calories

Options
katschi
katschi Posts: 689 Member
Well, well, well. SOMEbody's been in denial about her cooking spray.

For some reason, I thought it was "free".
OOPS!

A 1 second spray has 10 calories and 1 g of fat!
Well, I'm pretty generous with the stuff and I realize now that I must've been using at least 100 calories of it whenever I cook!
I had no idea.

So tonight, in the spirit of using MFP to full advantage, I counted the seconds ... added it up and recorded it in my food tracker.
4 seconds ... 40 calories ... 4 g fat.

I won't discontinue using it but I'll definitely be more mindful from now on.

"When you know better, you do better." ~~ Maya Angelou

Replies

• sheenabe
    sheenabe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    oooooohhhhh :sad: Sometimes ignorance is bliss.....but now I know and now I too have to be more mindful of it. Why would we think it was free anyway...lol.
  • katschi
    Options
    I'm sorry. :flowerforyou:

Here I've been feeling virtuous about using the spray instead of oil!
    I just looked at the nutrition label on my bottle of EVOO and 1 tsp has 40 calories and 4.5 g fat. Barely a difference and probably a heck of a lot better healthwise.
    I guess I've already changed my mind again. After I use the spray up, I'll be switching to regular EVOO.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I will occasionally add it but I use 2 seconds or less per recipe (so not per serving) so I will admit I can be lazy about that. I do log gum though, all 4 calories 1 carb of it, HA!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    WHAT!???????

Well crap
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. :flowerforyou:

Here I've been feeling virtuous about using the spray instead of oil!
    I just looked at the nutrition label on my bottle of EVOO and 1 tsp has 40 calories and 4.5 g fat. Barely a difference and probably a heck of a lot better healthwise.
    I guess I've already changed my mind again. After I use the spray up, I'll be giving it up for regular EVOO.

You can buy a thing called a "Misto" that is the best of both worlds. It's a spray bottle you can put EVOO (or any oil) into. That way, you have the easy portion control of a spray and no chemical propellants (pam-type sprays are full of them). I :heart: my Misto thingee.
  • katschi
    Options
    You can buy a thing called a "Misto" that is the best of both worlds. It's a spray bottle you can put EVOO (or any oil) into. That way, you have the easy portion control of a spray and no chemical propellants (pam-type sprays are full of them). I :heart: my Misto thingee.

Thank you. I'll look for one.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I usually just use my non-stick pans or my Cuisinart Griddler, which has all non-stick plates, and find that I don't even need a spray or release agent (oil/butter) of any kind. But when I do occasionally use cooking spray (typically only when I cook egg whites) I can put a thin coat on most pans in a second or less. Even when I had to spray a 9x13 pan I just gave a quick spritz with a flick of my wrist up the length of the pan then used a folded paper towel to spread it around to make sure it was in all the corners (just like if you were buttering a pan for baking) and it worked perfectly, and any excess was absorbed by the towel. I can't even imagine spraying for four seconds on anything!
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    hahaha..well I am just gonna pretend I never read that. I don"t use the stuff that often anyhow..