Eating while overweight?

Options
When you were overweight WHAT did you eat?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Mostly the same "healthy foods" I eat now, to be honest -- like lean meat, fish, shrimp, vegetables, fruit, hummus, rice, eggs, salad, etc. I had frequent treats like ice cream & chocolate. Also same as now.

But...I covered all of my meals with WAAAAAY too much shredded melted cheese, or breaded coating, and/or mayo & other high calorie condiments. And instead of getting the mini blizzard, I got a medium. Instead of homemade pizza, it was Pizza Hut. At restaurants I ate things that were served even if I didn't want them, like 3-4 dinner rolls at Logan's or 1/3 of an onion blossom thing from Outback.

Instead of making quesadillas for dinner with 2 tortillas and a TON of sautéed veggies, black beans & a tiny bit of cheese inside...I'd make them back then using 6 tortillas just for me (like 8-10 for my ex husband)...and a little bit of black beans and 3 different kinds of cheese inside them all.

For me it wasn't a matter of really changing what I ate so much as how I cooked/prepared my food and the portions. Sometimes it isn't even a matter of eating fewer calories at every meal. I used to eat a whole cucumber and some hummus for lunch and then get a HUGE mocha or latte on my way home. Now I eat the same number of calories all at once for lunch and I get to have so much yummy food.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I was never overweight (I've always been a healthy BMI and have never in my life teetered over to overweight or obese). But I definitely didn't understand food, calories, and nutrition in the way I do now. I gained around 15-20lbs throughout five years at college (avoided the freshman 15..just put on the grad 15!), and it was from the standard college diet. I'd eat well at the dining hall, and wouldn't eat to excess, but college students also like takeout, coffee, and sitting in lectures for hours at a time.

I still eat the same stuff I did before; I'm just more mindful of whether or not I'm hungry, eating until I'm full, and keeping my day balanced. :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The same foods I eat now, just less of it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't eat now that I ate before, and its just because i choose not to waste my calories on it, is fast food.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Eating the same as I eat now, but without noticing/caring for portion sizes. Whole tubs of Ben&Jerry's at a time, 'guesstimating' how much rice/potatoes/pasta I cook, buying whole sticks of garlic bread and having those on the side. Basically eating until my stomach hurts and only recognising that as 'full'. Then waiting 30 minutes and topping it off with dessert. And being allergic to exercise.

Now, I try to keep a balance. I eat one 'serving' of things, or half if I don't need the full amount (like I hardly ever need 2tbls of peanut butter). If I want dessert I work harder for it, and go lighter on supper (or find a yummy healthy recipe that fulfills my sweet tooth).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I ate a ton of food...and I didn't really move too much.

Really, that's the biggest difference...I just eat less and I move more. I eat much of the same things that I did when I was overweight. That said, I do eat "junk" in far more moderation these days. I also eat far less dairy than I used to...namely because dairy can be very calorie dense and it's just pretty easy for me to chug a 1/2 gallon of milk and eat a 1/4 Lb of cheese without giving it much thought. I've also substantially reduced my soda intake...I used to drink 3-5 12oz cans daily...now I maybe have a soda once per month or something. I also eat out far less than i used to as it is very easy to over eat when you're eating out a lot...not to mention all of the bloating and whatnot. I used to eat out several times per week...I eat out maybe 3-4 times per month these days.
  • skyytlz
    skyytlz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i eat sme of the same things i did before, though im still losing.. and far from goal. but i ate a lot.

i also didn't "cook"
    a lot of kd. noodles, sidekicks, canned soup, pasta, bread, cheese,

i dont really eat any of that anymore. not on a regular basis that is.

if i want a ****ty burger, ill get one. if i want macaroni, ill have it. if i want soup... ill make it from scratch. if i want pie, ill bake it.

but as for a daily diet, its a lot of fresh veggies and lean meats and eggs. its a lot healthier now then it was but im not giving up the things i had before, just modifying the how and when....except icecream. i just love it, and will still go to town on a small bucket of bubblegum icecream. i have no shame
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Mostly the same "healthy foods" I eat now, to be honest -- like lean meat, fish, shrimp, vegetables, fruit, hummus, rice, eggs, salad, etc. I had frequent treats like ice cream & chocolate. Also same as now.

But...I covered all of my meals with WAAAAAY too much shredded melted cheese, or breaded coating, and/or mayo & other high calorie condiments. And instead of getting the mini blizzard, I got a medium. Instead of homemade pizza, it was Pizza Hut. At restaurants I ate things that were served even if I didn't want them, like 3-4 dinner rolls at Logan's or 1/3 of an onion blossom thing from Outback.

Instead of making quesadillas for dinner with 2 tortillas and a TON of sautéed veggies, black beans & a tiny bit of cheese inside...I'd make them back then using 6 tortillas just for me (like 8-10 for my ex husband)...and a little bit of black beans and 3 different kinds of cheese inside them all.

For me it wasn't a matter of really changing what I ate so much as how I cooked/prepared my food and the portions. Sometimes it isn't even a matter of eating fewer calories at every meal. I used to eat a whole cucumber and some hummus for lunch and then get a HUGE mocha or latte on my way home. Now I eat the same number of calories all at once for lunch and I get to have so much yummy food.

This is similar to me. I eat the same things, I just eat less of them now. I had no idea what a proper portion was. I also used to split everything with my husband. I mean, fair is fair, right? Unfortunately, I ended up weighing as much as my husband too.

oh yeah I can relate to that, too. For 9 years I was married to a guy who was usually ~300-350 lb and I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 260-280 for most of that time. I kind of gauged my eating off his, like "well he's having seven pieces of pizza, so 4 or even 5 is really not too many for me". Never mind that they were huge deep crust slices with extra cheese and lots of toppings.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    What's changed as I've concentrated on losing weight?
    Fewer carbs - I used to have huge bowls of pasta or rice (at least 2 cups dry, with some toppings), lots of bread
    Lots more veggies. Lots.
    Less meat (though I didn't eat a whole lot to begin with)
    Less fast food - maybe once or twice a month at most now; most meals are from home, from the grocery store
    Definitely less frozen custard & ice cream :sad:
    Fewer PBJ sandwiches
    Less cheese (I love cheese; cheese goes on so many foods & makes them better. It's a lot like bacon that way.) :frown:
    Less oil (like to stir-fry veggies)

Mostly just paying attention, having smaller portions of whatever I want.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    nothing too unhealthy just way too much of it. The things i ate then that i limit now are bread, rice, sweets and white potatoes
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I swear I gained weight from sandwiches! Also popping random foods in my mouth all day.
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I eat exactly the same stuff I ate when I was much bigger. I am still overweight, but my ticker shows what progress I've made by simply adding cardio and weights to my daily routine.