Rumbling stomach seconds after eating cheese

Options
Hello,

I have noticed that I have an almost immediate stomach-rumbling reaction to milk or cheese, within just minutes or even seconds.

I thought I must be lactose intolerant, but this should normally take 30 minutes to 2 hours for the reaction.

Does anyone have an idea what else I could look into?

Thank you!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am LI and when I eat a troublesome food, the reaction definitely does not take 30 minutes to show up. To me, it sounds like you may be LI as well.
  • SeattleRaven
    Options
    I am LI and when I eat a troublesome food, the reaction definitely does not take 30 minutes to show up. To me, it sounds like you may be LI as well.

Ditto. I get a reaction within minutes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have noticed that I have an almost immediate stomach-rumbling reaction to milk or cheese, within just minutes or even seconds.

I thought I must be lactose intolerant, but this should normally take 30 minutes to 2 hours for the reaction.

Does anyone have an idea what else I could look into?

Thank you!

Psychosomatic?
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If you don't do well eating it, don't force the issue and get your nutrition elsewhere. Plenty of people can't handle dairy. It's not a necessary thing to have in your diet, never mind the spiels so many of us got as kids. I remember back in junior high, they showed a video in health class about reading nutrition labels and it compared a granola bar and milk, talking about how much better the milk was. You can guess who made the video. Some of what we "know" bought its way into the classroom and should be ignored.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The safest way for me to eat cheese is while I'm walking to my bathroom...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The safest way for me to eat cheese is while I'm walking to my bathroom...

Ha! It's funny because it's true (for me too.)

My husband has been dying to use a gift card for Carabba's and I have been avoiding it because no matter how many lactase pills I take or how much I think I've ordered dairy free, I always get sick.
  • ddoubleg
    Options
    Thank you very much for your replies, especially those of you who confirmed the reaction can be very quick. Strange that Wikipedia and other prominent LI articles say it should take much longer. Preusmably it can do for some people, but others not!

I'm also gluten intolerant and I have low sugar tolerance, so it's not a huge surprise that I've developed a lactose intolerance as well. Basically I'm just intolerant to all the bad things! Which is not a bad thing in itself :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    LI here and hard cheeses don't bother me. Milk and ice cream are off limits. I was using lactaid milk but recently switched to almond milk for the reduced fat and higher calcium.
  • LonelyLadyBug
    Options
    Was the cheese warm? I have a bad reaction to heated cheese. Apparently, there's an enzyme in heated cheese that can upset people's tummies. Eggs also upset my tummy, but that's just me. The reaction is usually instant.