Reactive Hypoglycemia Diet Help

Options
13»

Replies

• carolynjpotter
    carolynjpotter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get on websites that support Low-carb-high-fat, and / or ketosis diets. There is lots of help and recipes there. Sugar and carbs are poison. It is the Department of AGRICULTURE that promotes the Food Pyramid with 11 servings of bread and starch each da. The American Diabetes Association is funded by the insulin manufacturers. The Heart Association is funded by the Stating manufacturers. They don't want us healthy, they want us sick and buying their grains and medicines. The only animals that wer designed to live on a grain-based diet are birds. We were designed to live on meat, fat, and leafy greens vegetables. Forget fruit: it's just like candy. Forget milk: even "low fat" is still FULL of sugar. Your health, energy and brain function will improve dramatically when you get the carbs and insulin out of your system. You will stop falling asleep after every meal.
  • Benheredoneart
    Options
    I believe I have Reactive Hypo, missed diagnosed with early dumping syndrome. I have panic attack like symptoms after I have eaten a carb rich meal. Naturally I've been driven to a low carb diet. Since I was misdiagnosed I wasn't put on the right path as far as eating was concerned. But little by little I eliminated the foods that made me feel bad and have somewhat succeeded.
    Sure do miss sugar though. Tried diet drinks and diet candies. Although they didn't spike me and put me in a happy place but they made me feel worst in the long run. Wouldn't be able to sleep through the night until I gave those up too.

What I eat now to keep me in my happy place:

B/F- I love whole rolled oats with flax seed, sunflower seeds, and cranberries. Philly Cheese Omelets with Swiss cheese, onions, peppers, and tomatoes. I love baked hash browns when I need sustainable fue. I work hard everyday so I also eat Greek yogurt with granola on top for my after breakfast before lunch snack.

Lunch: I love chicken! I stay away from rice pasta and all that jazz but fried chicken is a guilty pleasure of mine at least once week. Grilled chicken tenders with French fries. And chicken wings with no sauce. I get the sauce on the side with with sour cream to cool. Actually really yummy. I'm lucky to have a Whole Foods nearby. They have a hot bar with tons of veggies and good healthy proteins.

Beanitos!! Bean chips made with pinto beans and brown rice. I eat these when I get home from work. Nachos baby! So good with cheese, olives, tomatoes and whatever veggie you want. I found as also with less than 1mg of sugar in it that is super yummy too.
    Beanitos make a black bean and white bean chip too, I keep these in my car to level me out or just keep me going.

For dinner I eat protein and veggies and snack on something small
    Before be. I've lost 80 pounds in a year. And look and feel good. I am starting to test out fruits to see what does what. It seems that I can eat some sugar in the mornings in the form of yogurt and granola. Any suggestions in fruit will be appreciated. I've read that kiwi and strawberries are low on the glycemic index.

Trying to look on the bright side to this ailment and hope to possibly overcome it with some serious ex resize and good healthy living. Doing acupuncture and going to the chiropractor as well. We shall see!
  • inguy4
    inguy4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fellow RH'er here. I would strongly suggest people here understand the biology behind reactive hypoglycemia. I struggled with it for years and had gotten dr bernstein's diabetes book(in 2003 from the US). The message was radical but it was essentially a low carb diet. It wasn't until I increased my protein intake in 2010 onwards that I started feeling productive.

What works for me now is keto diet but even a low carb diet at 50-70 gms of carbs per day should work. The key? LCHF. Your fat intake should be 65-80 %, protein 5-15 % and carbs for the rest(most of these can come from veggies)

Was prescribed acarbose for my RH and it does work but liberal servings of fat works even better.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    i guess my single concentrated piece of advice is, don't eat anything without a protein accompaniment!

any examples of what you eat in a day?

The handiest on-the-go proteins for me have been string cheese or BabyBel little goudas. They will survive hours and hours in a book bag. I used to always carry them when I was doing long teaching sessions. If I felt myself wavering like grass in the wind in the midst of an all day session, I'd grab some string cheese and be set to go for hours.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I have been on here for a while and have lost a decent amount of weight...however I feel like I am not taking care of myself. You see, I have reactive hypoglycemia, and I struggle daily with the crashes of blood sugar. I was wondering if anyone else on here who has this condition would be willing to give me examples of their daily food intakes and maybe add me as a friend so that I can really work harder on taking care of myself. This site isn't just about losing weight. It's about being healthy. I think one of my greatest struggles with this is that I am a working mother to a very vibrant/energetic girl and my husbands works...ALOT... so it leaves a lot on me to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi, I also struggle with low blood sugar and I find that eating a breakfast with a lot of protein like two or three eggs and avoid simple carbs like oatmeal or cereals or white bread, also coffee avoid it, my blood sugar is more stable thru the day. I carry raisins, hard candiez, and juice pouches in my purse when i am running late on having my next meal, and make sure you have complex carbs at dinner to keep your sugar in a good range.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Look up on google "low glycemic index diet" and look for a glycemic index chart or list on foods and avoid any high glycemic index foods that will send your sugar soaring up and crashing down, unless youre in an emergency where your sugar ia already dipping low. It helps a lot..... no simple sugars unless your blood sugar is already low and you feel faint lightheaded or sick
  • fitcamomama
    Options
    hi i was recently reading this board and wondering what meds they have you on for hypoglycemia? has it helped with insatiable hunger and cravings? weight loss? Im struggling and feel like mine has just gotten worse and will continue to get worse if i dont do something about it.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Hello. I know this topic hasn't been active for awhile but..

I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia 11 years ago and am still trying to get my blood glucose under control. There was a period of two to three years when the symptoms almost completely dissipated but they came back full force three years ago. I've lost certain symptoms (blackouts and headaches) and gained new ones (panic attacks and extreme fatigue) along the way. It won't get better if you don't do anything about it.

I think the trickiest part about controlling Rh is that it won't be the same for everyone. It's pretty much trial and error until you find something that works for you. I was on a diet of only low Gi foods since my diagnosis and then that stopped working. My pancreas seems to be overreacting to any carb that gets put into it. I am now on acarbose and just began the low carb high fat diet. I'm still getting lows.. But not at the frequency I was before the acarbose. The best part about the medication is I have been having less intense cravings... Man, the cravings for sugar and starches before were awful. I haven't had any carbs or sugars from anything but high fat dairy or vegetables since beginning. Also, my brain fog and word slurring gave gotten slightly better. If acarbose doesn't help I will have to hospitalized for two days to be monitored..without food. I haven't tried exercise yet with the medication. I drop pretty low about 15-20 minutes in and get heart palpitations regularly while exercising so I'm trying to work up to it.

I agree with not eating sugar to correct lows. However, if you are on acarbose (I think I read someone else in here was or is) you must take oral glucose because the usual snacks people with rh should be having to correct won't hit the bloodstream fast enough.