Sweet Tooth cravings!!!

Options
Hi everyone!! I suffer from anxiety and have stopped smoking as much as I used to...I want to QUIT but these sweet cravings that I get are killing me.....Is there ANY thing I can substitute the cravings for? I usually crave lots of chocolate, or ice-cream...I don't want to break my diet so PLEASE HELP if you can!!!

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Icecream - try frozen yogurt. Kemp's makes single serving ones - the wild berry is awesome.
    Chocolate - don't go for fake crap - just have one piece. The prepackaged one's I find I can have just one and put them back in the pantry and not have more.
    Or - exercise some and then you'll have room for some sweets.
    Good job on the quitting!
  • lala3882
    Options
    one thing the dietian suggested for me was 100% whey protein shakes... they are high in protein and will make you feel fuller. get the chocolate powder and mix it with skim milk. its like a thicker chocolate milk. its better then it sounds and will satify your chocolate craving while making you fee fuller.

another suggestion would be homemade smoothies.... use fresh or frozen fruit and low-fat vanilla yogurt, throw it in the blender w/ some ice and its kinda like ice cream.

good luck on your journey hope we can help each other out.
  • treblemaker90
    treblemaker90 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think the nest thing you can do is allow yourself to have some sweets. Keep a small amount of ice cream or chocolate on hand for when you get a craving. That way the craving won't get so out of control that you run to the store and down a pint a ben&jerry's (I've been guilty on more than one occasion haha).

You could also try to keep like chocolate pudding or dessert flavored yogurt. Not quite the same as ice cream but can still satisfy that sweet tooth from time to time.

Hope this helps! And more importantly props to you for quitting smoking!
  • dreamc08
    dreamc08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like a bowl of mixed fresh fruit with a FEW chocolate chips mixed in. Sweet and chocolately!
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, so I went browsing in the health food section of my grocery store. I was pleasantly surprised at what I found. Aside from the Biggest Loser chocolate protein shake, I've fallen in love with Pamela's Chunky Chocolate Chip cookie. Best of luck and much success. Remember... the pleasure of the taste doesn't last as long as the result of eating well :)
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Breyer's has a low cal chocolate frozen yogurt that is pretty good. 1/2c serving won't ruin your whole day either :)
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I bought some Ghiradelli 60% cacao chocolate squares and you can eat 4 of them for 210 calories. It helps and is slightly good for you since it's dark chocolate!
  • Jaypea15
    Jaypea15 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a low calorie chocolate drink with honey in. It works everytime, and relaxes you too.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'll use the idividually wrapped chocolates. (Like Dove) and keep them in the freezer so when I have one it takes longef to melt in my mouth. Plus I can bury the bag under other stuff so its not starinb at me when I need to get something, lol.

Also I find dark chocolate more satisfying, its actually better for you too.
  • cyndi101
    Options
    have you tried the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches? wow...they are like Amazing ..only 140 calories..
  • Chrissy721
    Options
    For my chocolate craves I like the Special K Chocolate Pretzel cereal bar as for the ice cream Breyer's has a Carb Smart line of products that are great. I also like to munch on sugar free fudge pops or sugar free chocolate pudding.
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    have you tried the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches? wow...they are like Amazing ..only 140 calories..

YES!! They are one of my favorite summer treats! Love them :)
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    One other thing. When I was fat smoker,lol, my doctor said he would rather have me quit the butts and keep the weight, its muchn worse for you. So you may want to focus on one, then tackle the next. I did and I have been smoke freee. For 5 years, during which the last 3 I lost 254 lbs.

Good luck and do what you can.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I drink Hot chocolate
  • Merodie
    Merodie Posts: 21
    Options
    Having read all these..Great Ideas !!! First and formost...good for you for the giant undertaking!

I have discovered the skinny cows, a low carb atkins bar called carmel mousse, for when you just HAVE to have chocolate :) oh, and I am allergic to all nuts and peanuts so there are even better ones if you can eat those.

But I agree with the hot chocolate posting. I use sugar free only 50 calories and very chocolaty.

Good luck with the quitting, been a lot of years for me and worth every one. Luck to you. Stay strong
  • robyndanielle3
    robyndanielle3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Love the bowl of fruit with a few chocolate chips idea! When i'm craving chocolate, I either have hot chocolate (25cals), a piece of dark chocolate (with a glass of red wine), or a high fiber english muffin with nutella. Nutella with an apple or banana is amazing too. YUM! I'm also an ice cream fanatic but I have been learning to allow myself a 1/2 cup per week... gives me something to look fwd to!

Get your workouts in and earn your sweetness for the day - but try not to over-do it!
    Good luck, my fellow sweet craver!!!
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Just have some fruit! That always takes the edge off any beginings of a craving!
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Yes I agree try the Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches or Weight Watchers have a Chocolate Mouse that is really yummy too -
    You could buy a bag of Freddos chocolates and just have one when you get a craving

Good luck - I gave up smoking last year and I found it too hard to concentrate on both - the not smoking and the weight loss so now that I feel the not smoking is under control I am 100 % committed to getting this uggghhhh weight off (about 30kgs!!!!) Feel free to add me as a friend if you need support :flowerforyou:
  • caseykm
    caseykm Posts: 37
    Options
    My favorites...
    Breyer's no sugar added vanilla ice cream
    Jello Pudding Cups - no sugar and only 60 cal.
    chocolate whey protein w/ 1 cup skim milk and a whole banana for a blended smoothie
    Swiss miss no sugar added hot cocoa - also only 60 calories.

Yummy :)
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If I just want the sweet taste and am not truly hungry, I have a sugar-free breath mint. Suck on that and you get the sweet without any calories. Peppermint seems to help me that way.