Too much food before workout, stomach upset?

Options
ana3067
ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
Just wondering if this happens to you, either because you had to change your schedule or you just ate too big of a snack beforehand, what do you do to help with the queasiness? Does taking something like pepto or.. whatever other brands there are help? Or just power through it? I just powered through it but I will tell you that it was torturous while squatting ugh.

Replies

• smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Ooh! No. That's never happened to me. If anything, I need to force myself to eat a little more before I work out. Good job powering through! I could not have.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I generally work out at 5am - so I have nothing beforehand (crawl out of bed, put on clothes, head to my home gym downstairs lol).

When I've had to change my schedule, and I've worked out too close to a meal, yep it gets a little uncomfortable. I manage to power through it, but it's not good lol

I just workout better on an empty stomach.

I do, however, make my daughter have a light snack before training (she's a squad swimmer and 11yo). But that's usually just a handful of fruit (once again, at 5am lol we have early morning issues :laugh: ) and then she devours a huge breakfast when she gets home. For her, I've found she needs something beforehand or she gets seriously tired and grumpy :glasses:
  • ana3067
    Options
    I generally work out at 5am - so I have nothing beforehand (crawl out of bed, put on clothes, head to my home gym downstairs lol).

When I've had to change my schedule, and I've worked out too close to a meal, yep it gets a little uncomfortable. I manage to power through it, but it's not good lol

I do, however, make my daughter have a light snack before training (she's a squad swimmer and 11yo). But that's usually just a handful of fruit (once again, at 5am lol we have early morning issues :laugh: ) and then she devours a huge breakfast when she gets home. For her, I've found she needs something beforehand or she gets seriously tired and grumpy :glasses:

I need to plan better apparently haha. Thanks though, I agree that it's easier to work out with less food in the stomach, I've had some good workouts having just consumed some protein powder beforehand!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've had problems, but it depends on what exercise I'm doing too. I try not to eat anything about an hour before working out. If I'm running then I like to leave a good 2 hour (minimum) gap!
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    No point in powering through it when you can try to prevent it :) I just eat appropriately to whatever amount of time I've got before a workout. If I don't leave enough time, I'll get cramps and a couple of times I got sick and started dry retching during a ride or run lol. I make sure I lift either before lunch or well after dinner. You can Google some suggestions of what to eat in the time you have. It's generally plenty of carbs for me, and protein and carbs afterwards.

This is just for morning workouts really, but what works for me is: If it's 3-4 hours til my workout I will eat quite a bit, like a large banana, cup of cooked oats, honey and yogurt. Or two slices of toast with jam, yogurt, raisins etc.
    if it's 90 minutes-2 hours just one slice of toast with jam and perhaps small fruit for example, and if its only 30 minutes before I try not to have much, maybe half a sports drink or a gel. That's not something I do often, though.
    I tend to not get up very early, so I normally go for the 90-mins to 2 hours option or the 30 mins before options as opposed to the 3-4 hours before...I only get up at the crack of dawn and do that on race days.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    did this on Friday, had a banana on toast about 1 hour before spin class and about 15mins started to feel sick! Giving myself 2 hours at least between food n exercise from now on n if I cant then im not eating until after im done, hate that feeling.
  • ikearch
    ikearch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Same here, first thing out of bed - stretch then work out. Water during, protein shake right after, then food if I'm hungry.

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This is going to be different for everybody, I workout at 7:30 daily at the gym but I am up at 6 a.m. and eat 1200-1400 calories before I head to the gym. I could never go on an empty stomach in the A.M. and prefer a big breakfast before I go.. but reverse that to P.M. workout and I prefer to grab a carb bar and hit the gym and eat after I get back... You need to find what works best for you...... Good Luck......
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What I do after every prework out meal. Siri set timer for one hour beep
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've had problems, but it depends on what exercise I'm doing too. I try not to eat anything about an hour before working out. If I'm running then I like to leave a good 2 hour (minimum) gap!

Same with me. If I eat too much, too soon before an intense cardio session I just feel really bad.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    When I workout in the morning, I wake up at 6AM, prepare some tea, small portion (35g) of oats with a scoop (25g) of whey and some strawberries (50g).
    Finish the meal, leave home by bike at 6:30'ish AM and hit the gym at 7AM.

Eating fat in the morning before I workout tends to upset my stomach and having no meal is a no go for me when training heavy.

When I go to the gym in the early evening (6PM), I have a bigger low-fat meal (carb, protein and veggies for example) about 1,5 to 2 hours before.

In the end, you will have to find out what works best for you. As long as you get your daily goals in you will be fine.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm thinking that the combo of too much food but also too much fat does it for me. I'll just have to keep the fat way down pre-workout and only eat more food if I am reaally hungry (ubut nothing huge).