weight loss comments

Options
Do you enjoy getting weight loss comments? I find it akward when someone comment on my weight loss. At the same time its nice for others to regonize your hard work. How about you? Do you enjoy it, hate it or indifferent ?

Replies

• Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I'm like you, the simple comments are nice. If they get all dramatic about it like "Oh my God...!" It makes me uncomfortable.
    I noticed I'm getting a lot of thin-shaming, too.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I can understand the mixed feelings.

One the one hand, someone is saying something nice about you and recognizing the effort that you're putting into making changes. On the other, they are at least unintentionally reminding you that had gotten to a place where you felt those changes became necessary - so not a totally comfortable feeling there.

I already own where I had let myself go. It would be foolish of me not to recognize that other people noticed it too. It's not like you can exactly hide an extra 50 pounds of weight ;) So those people who notice my weight loss now? They're the same people who knew me at my highest weight too and who were also considerate enough not to have made comments about just how overweight I used to be. So their intent is clearly not to be rude or hurtful - even if we may internalize their comments that way because of our own issues in coming to grips with where we are/were.

I take weight loss comments in the spirit in which they are intended: supportive and positive. I use them as further motivation and inspiration to keep doing what I was doing for myself anyway :)
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I cant wait for my first weight loss comment. So far I am 10.5 pounds down according to last Saturday weigh in. From waht ive heard it takes about 20-25 pounds lost for people to start to comment.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    In general, I like it. But I do get a bit uncomfortable when people are over the top about it. There are a few cashiers (mostly women 15-20 yrs older than I am) at stores my husband and I frequent who make a big deal about our weight loss any time we go in. That is tired by now, I appreciated it the first couple of times but they don't need to keep on...

The only type of comments I really dislike are things like "OH I bet you FEEL soooo much BETTER now!" because I never felt bad, even 100+ lb heavier.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I lost about ten pounds I was so pumped and WAITING for someone to notice, and no one noticed :( Or just didnt want to say anything. Now I am down 20 and people have started comments like "skinny" and "tiny" and I don't like that because I am in no way skinny, I must have just been that chunky before that I look normal now. Or something. If someone would say that my dedication to the gym is paying off, I'd take that compliment and run! As I type it seems I will never be happy compliment wise! lol
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    In general i don't mind and i keep my response short yet polite however our Father at Mass would every now and then ask the congregation to continue to pray for my WOE. That makes me feel uncomfortable as i have never told or asked anyone (with the exception of my wife and WOE forums) for their support. Just something personal i am doing for myself.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Oh I love it when someone notices, because it shows my work is paying off!
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My husband's family comment a lot and it's a bit embarrassing because they are always like "Omg you're losing so much weight" and "how are you doing it, it' soooo hard, I need to lose too" (they aren't big)... I hate being the center of attention, especially about something as delicate as weight. Plus I haven't lost MUCH since they started commenting (5-10lbs but I'm like 100lbs over weight so 5-10lbs is nothing)... or sometimes I even maintain or gain a little. It's awkward having to say I didn't lose anything and... I dunno... it's just weird to me. haha
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I smile and say thank you. Saying that, I've not had anyone gush, which I can imagine is a bit uncomfortable.
  • focusedonfitness2015
    focusedonfitness2015 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I wish! No one says a damn word to me about it. Even got the comment this morning from a co-worker..."Oh, you've lost weight?" because I was wearing jeans I haven't fit into for over a year. Geesh!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The comments I receive are negative, so no. I don't like them.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. Its when they go on and on about it that makes me feel weird.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The only comments that I didn't like when the ones where people were telling me I was TOO thin.

Have you never received a compliment about the way you look? Does it make you uncomfortable because you're not use to the attention? They've got to get use to the "new you" too.

Good news, after a while it goes away. Enjoy it while you can.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I want to hear them. I do this for myself but it's nice to hear that it's noticeable.
  • cstroh13
    cstroh13 Posts: 24
    Options
    I it depends on what they say. If they make comments about why I was overweight or anything other than "good job, you look great" then I get uncomfortable/upset. I know why I am overweight, I know it's unhealthy, but that is a topic for me and my doctor to discuss not anyone else. I don't like advice unless it's positive either. "try not to lose weight too quickly or eat healthy"...common sense I don't need to be reminded a million times. I don't like being lied to either. When I haven't lost any inches or pounds and people will say I look like I've lost weight as a compliment kind of hurts. but when it is true and they comment on my energy and point out what looks smaller that puts a smile on my face :D
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how the comment is made. I love hearing people say "Have you lost weight? You look good!" On the other hand if it's said differantly it can be awkward or even make me feel bad. Here's some bad ones I've heard:

-If you lose any more you're face is going to start sinking in.
    -Damn you need to stop losing weight!
    -Him: Damn you're getting skinny!
    Me: Thank you
    Him: Are you going to stop losing soon?
    Me: Yeah, I'm about done. My husband jokes around and says I need to eat a cheeseburger. LOL
    Him: Yeah, you really do. -_-

And then this one was just plain weird:
    Her: I haven't seen you in a while. You look differnt
    Me: Yeah. [awkwardly long pause] Thanks.
    Her: [even longer awkwardly long pause] You look good.....[sounds like the sentence is still going but no, another long pause]
    Me: thanks [runs away!]

So again, I think it's all in the delivery.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I never felt fat or sick, but I wanted more attention, so I started losing weight.
    So... I love all the comments!
    :P
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I generally find them awkward, and it makes me feel uncomfortable... but, I'm also socially awkward. Also, being overweight is embarrassing to me, so I am also embarrassed when people make comments about my weight, even if they are supportive and positive. I tend to just blush, stammer about awkwardly for a few seconds, and immediately change the subject. I just don't know what to say! I suppose "thanks" would be an option, but that feels weird too, and then I never know where the conversation is supposed to go...... I'm feeling nervous just thinking about it! Sigh. :-) :-)
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love it, assuming it's well intentioned (really a compliment, and not a backhanded compliment).

One member of my family loves to give the backhanded compliments. Like, "Good job with losing weight, it's about time you did something about it."