NSV -Spinning for the first time

Options
epd17
epd17 Posts: 28 Member
Hi all,

I just wanted to share with you a non scale victory is recently had.

My whole life I grew up playing sports. Soccer, basketball, softball, ice skating, etc. However, I was always the biggest girl on the team. I've been overweight my entire life, with the exception of a few periods of time when I was dieting and playing volleyball year round. In high school and college I was constantly training and playing volleyball. I was still pretty heavy for my height but I was solid for the most part!

Well after college I started my first 9-5 job and volleyball was no longer part of my life. Over time solid turned to mushy!

I joined a gym and got into group exercise classes. (Tae bo, kick boxing, Zumba, Step classes, etc...) I'd try anything! Even if I had no idea what I was doing I always had fun and enjoyed being active.

However, there was one group exercise class I avoided like the plague- THE SPIN ROOM! Music was blasting and instructors could be heard a mile a way screaming out various commands. For some reason I was so intimidated by spinning. I always thought there was no way I could keep up with a class like that - even in my best shape. The women coming out of the class looked so toned and fit and tiny! That couldn't be for me! I'm way to big for those bikes (probably at the time 200lbs)

I would ask friends who took the class what it was like and they'd say things like "intense", "sweaty", "hard" "can't sit for a week after your first time" None of that stuff sounded too horrible, but still I kept saying to myself that spinning wasn't for me.

Fast forward to today - I've steadily put on 40 lbs since graduating from college 7 years ago. I had been traveling about 75% of the month since 2007. So fitting in exercise was always a challenge and sometimes just not even a priority.

Now I work in an office and no longer travel. I decided to enroll in a new gym that specializes in 3 different classes - Bootcamp, Zumba, and Spin. Spin class we meet again! For the first 2 months I just did Zumba. Then one night one of the instructors I became friendly with asked me to try out one of her spin classes. I had to fight the urge to vom and said...ughhh yea ok. "See you on Monday !" she said. (Internal freak out ensued - this Monday? Holy crap---wait I need to drop more lbs before I try spinning, I can't do this, oh God why did I say yes??!?!?)

Then all of a sudden my mind quieted and I thought why the heck not, just do it. Stop hiding from those darn bikes and give it a shot.

So two weeks ago I strolled into that class, sat on one of the bikes in the front, fumbled around with the settings and got to spinning!

HOLY CRAP! It was hard, intense, sweaty, and OH YES my butt hurt for a week - but I LOVED IT! I gave it 110% and it kicked my butt. I went back again last night and I can say I'm now addicted. I have no idea why I was so intimidated by it. Yes, the other people biked way faster then I did, and probably cranked up their resistance a lot higher than I did but so what!

I'm sharing this with you all because we shouldn't be afraid to try anything in life! The worst thing that could happen is that you don't like it! Don't talk yourself out of life's experiences because you think you're too heavy. I've been doing that for too long and it can definitely take toll on you! No more! Tackling my fear of spinning was so mentally liberating!

Good luck everyone....I hope this inspires you to take on that class you've been avoiding!

When I first started going I would take a Zumba class

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    good for you!

I get my padded pants from aerotechdesign and I wear a big pad between them and my underwear, on the outside of my underwear, for extra padding. Get wild print spandex!
  • Hgiel79
    Hgiel79 Posts: 4
    Options
    Totally relate!! All I ever heard about spinning was so negative, so didn't bother with it at all. However after
    Recently giving it a go I am totally hooked! All I want to do is spin. It's hard work but I feel so satisfied with my
    Workout after wards and can not wait for the next class. I just today did level 2/3 for the first time and it was so
    Damn hard but I loved it! I go between 3 and 5 times a week depending on wether I can get a class around work!
    :@)
  • McCluskey1128
    McCluskey1128 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! This is tremendously exciting. :flowerforyou:
  • DaisyDi65
    DaisyDi65 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A neighbor has talked me in to attending my first spin class this Saturday. I'm scared to death but your story is giving me a little comfort! I'm just afraid of the sore butt and being the largest in class!!!
  • kurkwartburg
    kurkwartburg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well, i saw this article a was ok what the hell is spinning, feel so old now :(

Congrats and good job, fear is the one thing that can hold us back from any goal.
    Great work showing up, and not being "sick" that monday!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Excellence! I went to my first spin class a couple of years ago and thought I was in pretty good shape after finishing my first marathon...yeah, not so much! But I've stuck with it and it is my go to cross training workout and I've even gotten into cycling as well because of it. Great job and enjoy!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Congrats, and thank you for posting this! I have wanted to try the spin class too, but have been intimidated. Think I might give it a try next month!
  • rfpemp
    rfpemp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great job!:happy: I am a spin newbie also, with 5 classes under my belt (butt?). What is great about spin is that while it is a group class, it is very indiividually tailored by you. you control your RPM and resistance, so in the same class that a spin expert is getting a great workout in, us newbies can get a great workout in also. It's just a matter of RPM and resistance. I love it!

Keep it up!
  • epd17
    Options
    Daisy just go for it! You can totally tailor the class to your fitness level. If you feel like the resistance is too much for you, turn it down! I promise you it's definitely worth trying out.

My butt did hurt - but a good hurt! What's that song...Come on baby make it hurt so good!

It takes your body some time to adjust and they say you get used to it and I can see why. After last night's class (my second time) my butt hurt level is at 2, where as the first time it was probably at a 6.
  • epd17
    Options
    A neighbor has talked me in to attending my first spin class this Saturday. I'm scared to death but your story is giving me a little comfort! I'm just afraid of the sore butt and being the largest in class!!!

Sorry...i posted this below and then realized how you respond to individual posts....slowly getting the hang of this forum.

Daisy just go for it! You can totally tailor the class to your fitness level. If you feel like the resistance is too much for you, turn it down! I promise you it's definitely worth trying out.

My butt did hurt - but a good hurt! What's that song...Come on baby make it hurt so good!

It takes your body some time to adjust and they say you get used to it and I can see why. After last night's class (my second time) my butt hurt level is at 2, where as the first time it was probably at a 6.
  • epd17
    Options
    good for you!

I get my padded pants from aerotechdesign and I wear a big pad between them and my underwear, on the outside of my underwear, for extra padding. Get wild print spandex!

Thanks for the pad tip! Didn't think of that.

Oh trust me I have plenty of wild print spandex! I fit right in with the black lights - my work out gear is all whites and neons!
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Way to go! After a few more classes your butt won't even notice. I promise!

If you are going to purchase anything at all for spinning, make it shoes! The ride you get when you're clipped in is totally different and amazing! Absolutely worth the price!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!