Whey Protein Powder for a 10 year old?

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    Okay... first off, I don't use media outlets for nutritional advice.

Secondly, nothing about that article supports your opinion that people of the Western world eat too much protein.

This was after a quick search this covers the UK obviously we have a better diet than the US.

Obviously? If it is so obvious, feel free to explain it -exactly-, right here and now.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Secondly, nothing about that article supports your opinion that people of the Western world eat too much protein.

This was after a quick search this covers the UK obviously we have a better diet than the US.

Obviously? If it is so obvious, feel free to explain it -exactly-, right here and now.

It was due to the previous comment about northen America not comsuming enough protein.

However he was wrong

See the below article
    'Average Protein in Daily Diet

The typical American diet is defined by a greater intake of red meat, high-sugar desserts, high-fat foods and refined flour. It also usually contains high-fat dairy products, artificially sweetened drinks and eggs. According a National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey from 2007-2008, this diet provides a net protein intake of 101.9 grams to males and 70.1 grams to females a day—more than double the recommended daily allowance as suggest by national dietary guidelines.'

Also there are several maps online which suggest that north america actually consumes an average of 114g of protein per person alone with around 100g-105g for most of europe so yes the western world does consume too much protein. This is an average and not for an individual person.

However I still say that a child should not have protein supplements unless under a doctors orders
  • CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me so sad. How about just giving them a balanced diet yep I know a pretty off the wall idea but it's worked for children for generations so maybe it could work now

Perhaps because he seems to refuse to eat most things she's tried?

I haven't parented much (I have some experience having been a full time live in caregiver to young children)... but I kind of thought the adults made the rules.

We had "you get to leave the table when you're done eating rules" and that was that.

When did kids start dictating the food??

I have two kinds of eaters in my household: one eats PB&J and chicken nuggets (He's 5). The other eats chili, feta cheese, black olives, buffalo wings, and just about whatever I'm eating (She's 2).

As parents, we've struggled with how far to push our oldest to eat. In some way, I don't really care that he doesn't like food that much or doesn't eat much because he doesn't beg me for cookies, brownies, or ice cream either. He just ISN'T hungry. And he's a picky, picky eater. It makes me angry that he won't eat the broccoli in front of him, but my only option has been starve him til he eats it or shove it down his throat. So... if I do that, promise not to call CPS on me? He's gone 2 full days without food before because he JUST WOULDN'T EAT.

Now, talking to the doctor, she tell me he'll grow out of it eventually. All I can do is put the option in front of him and pray he'll eat. He's healthy, he's growing, he's not overweight or underweight so there's no point in stressing us both out over it. And as long as any child isn't exhibiting health issues, this would be MOST pediatricians response to it.

Picky eating is as old as time. Its just there weren't as many options to get around it when you lived on a farm 10-20 miles from town.

Bottom line: you can control what foods a child has access to, but YOU CAN NOT FORCE FEED THEM. At some point, parents of particularly stubborn children find a balance that keeps their child healthy and growing even if it isn't "balanced".
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    This thread makes me so sad. How about just giving them a balanced diet yep I know a pretty off the wall idea but it's worked for children for generations so maybe it could work now

Perhaps because he seems to refuse to eat most things she's tried?

I haven't parented much (I have some experience having been a full time live in caregiver to young children)... but I kind of thought the adults made the rules.

We had "you get to leave the table when you're done eating rules" and that was that.

When did kids start dictating the food??

I have two kinds of eaters in my household: one eats PB&J and chicken nuggets (He's 5). The other eats chili, feta cheese, black olives, buffalo wings, and just about whatever I'm eating (She's 2).

As parents, we've struggled with how far to push our oldest to eat. In some way, I don't really care that he doesn't like food that much or doesn't eat much because he doesn't beg me for cookies, brownies, or ice cream either. He just ISN'T hungry. And he's a picky, picky eater. It makes me angry that he won't eat the broccoli in front of him, but my only option has been starve him til he eats it or shove it down his throat. So... if I do that, promise not to call CPS on me? He's gone 2 full days without food before because he JUST WOULDN'T EAT.

Now, talking to the doctor, she tell me he'll grow out of it eventually. All I can do is put the option in front of him and pray he'll eat. He's healthy, he's growing, he's not overweight or underweight so there's no point in stressing us both out over it. And as long as any child isn't exhibiting health issues, this would be MOST pediatricians response to it.

Picky eating is as old as time. Its just there weren't as many options to get around it when you lived on a farm 10-20 miles from town.

I have 4 kids, aged 9-14. Like adults, they have food preferences (any person on here try telling me you like every conceivable food on earth, do it, I dares ya!). While I do not allow them to dictate to me, they get choices (balanced ones, usually) for their breakfast and lunches/snacks. Supper is where it comes down to it. Everybody gets their plate of food. If they do no eat something on it, fine. They are required to try it. If they still do not eat it, well... Kitchen's closed for the night after that, and they all know it. Want more rice? Eat your veggies. Want a snack a couple hours after dinner? Eat your veggies. Everyone knows the policy and there are no fights over the food. Even my son, who was the pickiest of my 4 kids, at nearly age 12 will now eat most veggies put in front of him, which he never would have unless "encouraged" to try them. I was too busy early on with 4 kids in 5yrs to make it a struggle, but I also refused to let the children set the rules.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Bottom line: you can control what foods a child has access to, but YOU CAN NOT FORCE FEED THEM. At some point, parents of particularly stubborn children find a balance that keeps their child healthy and growing even if it isn't "balanced".
    I hear you and that's how it mostly was as long as you are getting food and not sick/health issues.. it's fine.

I grew up and when I was a caregiver We had a fairly varied diet- stuff that didn't get eaten regularly didn't wind up on the menu regularly- but you weren't going to just eat NOTHING because "ew gross" wasn't a valid excuse- you had to make an effort- sometimes it was a fight- sometimes not so much.

But yeah- I remember S.... wasn't having the potatoes I made- she didn't have much of them but she flat out would refuse to eat the food without even trying.... she sat for like 3 hours before finally shoveling it in.

I'm not suggesting forcefeeding- but it just seems to me often "picky eaters" are dictating food choices and "will only eat twinkies and herseys" but won't eat anything else- there might be something bigger going on there other than "picky eating".

My friend does case work- and she see's it a lot- it's just easier to feed them a steady stream of junk rather than take the time to do a little parenting. I think that was my roundabout point :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

It was due to the previous comment about northen America not comsuming enough protein.

However he was wrong

See the below article

The typical American diet is defined by a greater intake of red meat, high-sugar desserts, high-fat foods and refined flour. It also usually contains high-fat dairy products, artificially sweetened drinks and eggs. According a National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey from 2007-2008, this diet provides a net protein intake of 101.9 grams to males and 70.1 grams to females a day—more than double the recommended daily allowance as suggest by national dietary guidelines.'

Also there are several maps online which suggest that north america actually consumes an average of 114g of protein per person alone with around 100g-105g for most of europe so yes the western world does consume too much protein. This is an average and not for an individual person.

However I still say that a child should not have protein supplements unless under a doctors orders

First off, I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I am male. I am not.

You haven't posted anything scientific that supports your opinion. You have posted opinion articles which is at best circumstantial. As Americans are generally of British descent, our diets are culturally derived from the roots of the British diet. Sure, Texas gave us red meat. But I can point you to a multitude of scientific studies that refute the archaic nutrition myth that red meat is inherently bad for you.

But if you prefer to feel superior to Americans because of your fabulous diet, I guess you can do that. Just don't expect anyone not to call you out for blatant stereotyping.
  • aneary1980
    Options

However he was wrong

See the below article

You haven't posted anything scientific that supports your opinion. You have posted opinion articles which is at best circumstantial. As Americans are generally of British descent, our diets are culturally derived from the roots of the British diet. Sure, Texas gave us red meat. But I can point you to a multitude of scientific studies that repute the archaic nutrition myth that red meat is inherently bad for you.

But if you prefer to feel superior to Americans because of your fabulous diet, I guess you can do that. Just don't expect anyone not to call you out for blatant stereotyping.

I'm pointing out that the western world eats too much protein and we don't need supplements unless you are an athlete or ill. Can you actually read?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

However he was wrong

See the below article

You haven't posted anything scientific that supports your opinion. You have posted opinion articles which is at best circumstantial. As Americans are generally of British descent, our diets are culturally derived from the roots of the British diet. Sure, Texas gave us red meat. But I can point you to a multitude of scientific studies that repute the archaic nutrition myth that red meat is inherently bad for you.

I'm pointing out that the western world eats too much protein and we don't need supplements unless you are an athlete or ill. Can you actually read?

Alright. I'm done! You have made assumptions about me and Americans everywhere and have resorted to insults when asked for legitimate proof of your ignorant opinion.
  • joecampbell29
    Options
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but double and triple check the quality. Many protein powders have been shown to have high amounts of lead and other contaminants in them. Granted, plant based ones tend to be the highest since they leech these contaminants from the soil. The amounts of lead in them aren't usually high enough to effect an adult, unless consumed in a very large amount, but the situation may be different for children. Best to double check.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    wait hold on

how did I miss this gem
    Also there are several maps online which suggest that north america actually consumes an average of 114g of protein per person alone with around 100g-105g for most of europe so yes the western world does consume too much protein. This is an average and not for an individual person

what is TOO much and who decides that??
  • aneary1980
    Options
    wait hold on

how did I miss this gem
    Also there are several maps online which suggest that north america actually consumes an average of 114g of protein per person alone with around 100g-105g for most of europe so yes the western world does consume too much protein. This is an average and not for an individual person

what is TOO much and who decides that??

In the uk it's COMA and SACN.
  • sharonpink
    sharonpink Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would ask his pediatrician for advice.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I can’t imagine there would be a problem with him consuming a protein shake but if you take any advice let it be, to speak with his pediatrician first.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Then France has a better diet than you do then, because their obesity rates are much lower than yours (ours is 33%, yours is 26.9% and France's is 18.2%)... so I wouldn't be pointing fingers there.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options

Then France has a better diet than you do then, because their obesity rates are much lower than yours (ours is 33%, yours is 26.9% and France's is 18.2%)... so I wouldn't be pointing fingers there.

And France has way tastier food!:wink:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Hey! You know what they say... French women don't get fat!

Because stereotypes are fun...
  • ShinjiruGhetto
    Options
    I don't see why not,
    as for adults
    average healthy male who's working out should consume about 2grams of protein per lbs
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Seriously... If it's all about cultural diet then I'm going on the Dutch diet... I like their food.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Seriously... If it's all about cultural diet then I'm going on the Dutch diet... I like their food.

sushi all the way

edit nope.

no way i could pick between sushi and Moroccan.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Hi,
    I wonder what you all think about giving Whey protein powder to a 10 year old boy. My son is not overweight but he is husky. He has horrible eating habits on his own. However, he says I'm mean because I encourage healthy eating habits. I do allow him to eat treats. He gets to pick three junk food items a week. Which he chooses to eat the first two days of the week. So I'm not depriving him. I'm also a busy Mom. Breakfast most days is a challenge because he is just not in the mood to eat. I let him try the Whey Protein Powder I have been having in the mornings and he like it! I didn't see anything on the package that said an age limit on it. He said he stayed full till lunch then stayed full till he got home. Usually he is famished by then.

Anyway what do yall think about giving whey Protein Powder for a 10 year old boy?

I would honestly ask his pedi... Otherwise, I would make some make ahead snakes that have some other protien sources in it... Like a frittata or something.