Soda =(

Options
13»

Replies

• stephi92569
    Options
    We have basically stopped the soda intake. I do limit myself to 1 can a day and that is usually during the week. I like to take one in my lunch. Then when I am at home, I make unsweetened tea or even Crystal light. But I do drink about 12 cups of water a day. It is a hard thing to break, but now if I have more than 1 can a day, I almost feel sick.
  • msce2
    msce2 Posts: 35
    Options
    I love, love, love coke too. It's been really tough for me to give it up. But I have found that I equally enjoy Crystal Light Fruit Punch. I'm not real big on the other flavors, but the fruit punch is awesome. So I now substitute that for breakfast, lunch and dinner. At only 5 calories for 8oz, it's a huge improvement for me over the soda. I do keep a few cans of diet coke (which I really dislike) but if I feel like I need that fizz, I just drink one of those.

But the key is don't keep it in your house. If it's in my sight, I will eat or drink it.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with the diet sodas! Most of them have more caffeine than the regular! :noway:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I've been a diet soda addict for quit awhile now. I know, it has no calories, blah blah blah.....but any soda is soooo bad for your kidneys! And, as PrincessLaundry pointed out, it can make you crave foods you don't need.

I usually have two to three diet sodas and rum a night. I've switched to vodka and diet tonic and only have one. I can really feel a big difference without the soda.

One idea is to put a crystal lite packet into sparkeling water if you start missing the fizz (I know that sometimes that is the only reason I want a soda!)

I am an avid coffee drinker, so I have never reached for soda when I needed caffiene, but you may start to have withdrawls and headaches (I get way crabby), so have a cup of coffee in the morning and another around noon to stave off any crashes until your body adjusts.

:flowerforyou:
    Good luck!
  • vukovich
    Options
    It is hard to go from 'bubbles' to plain water. I think you will miss the 'bubbles'. so my suggestion is to substitute the soda bubbles with something tasty......... flavored bubbly water. I also make a mix of plain water, a bit of diet tonic and some lemon calistoga (or orange or lime). A little tasty, a little bubbly and I tend to drink more liquid that way. Sounds weird, but it works for me...... otherwise I tend to drink wayyyyyyy too many diet sodas. I miss the bubbles, so I just substitute. Another thing I do is buy lemon mint water or orange mint water. (There is also spearmint and peppermint). No bubbles, but it is very, very refreshing and it is plain water, but tasty. Between the mint water and the bubbly mixture, I don't really 'miss' the soda.

64025.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    To the OP, if you can survive going cold turkey God bless you - do it! Every time I've tried that I end up feeling like crap for 2-3 days(fever, headaches, lethargic). I only drink Diet so the calories aren't the issue but the caffiene/sodium/chemicals are. I've been cutting back since I started MFP and am down to about 3 cans/day now (from ~8) with water replacing it most of the time. I cant seem to quit drinking it with meals, though - water just doesn't do it. Some day......

Good luck to you!

Yes...I end up with a headache and the shakes. LOL
  • LREheart
    LREheart Posts: 31
    Options
    I survived day one without my soda!!! Whoop! I had such a bad headache and was more shaky today. But from what y'all said that is normal.

I absolutely have NO soda in my house, so that was very helpful. I was out with the kids today and they wanted to go to McDonald's for lunch so I stopped by there. I was sooo much craving one of those 69cent 64 oz cokes. But I resisted and got a big cup of ice cold water and some of those apple dippers.

And I walked out of that place with a smile, knowing that I choose the right thing. =) If this would have been yesterday, I would have chugged down 2 of those things, a burger and fries and went on with my day.
    I drank sooo much water today, and it feels really good. I am so excited about this change! Can you tell?? =)

Thanks everyone!!
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    you could also try the sodas like pepsi one and coke zero they are suppose to taste more like regular soda without the calories, the cherry coke zero is really good.

Yes. This. It's exactly what I was going to say.

I'm a recovering sodaholic, too. Been there, done that. Been in your shoes. When I decided to lose weight for the first time (I was really young, like, 12), I was pretty adamant about not giving up regular soda. But I did. Now when I drink it, it's just too sweet. It's gross! If I really need a soda, I get one from the gas station because it's cheaper and fountain soda tastes better. This is a ONCE IN A WHILE treat, not an everyday thing, and I feel loads better for it!
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    Keep up the good work!