Where are poly and mono unsaturated fats?

Options
I cut back on my saturated fat, but I'm still not getting much of the good fats (poly unsaturated and mono unsaturated). Some days, I don't get any of either. Where can I get these wonderful fats?

Thank you for your help. =)

Replies

• nedasdaughter
    nedasdaughter Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know that olive oil has monounsaturated fats and so do most nuts...I'm going to do some further research on this myself, because I have the same problem in my diet. :)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Best fats:canola oil, olive oil, nuts (some better than others - almonds, walnuts, peanuts, pistachios), avocados. Good fats: other oils (corn, safflower, sunflower, soy) and fish...

I have a small handful of almonds every day! :wink:
  • darwintheboxer
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't getting any? If you are drawing this conclusion based on the nutritional information from the MFP database, then you most likely are not getting an accurate count. Like potassium, these fat types are not commonly included on nutritional labels, so the data is not always available when people add foods to the database. Doesn't mean you are not consuming them.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    In addition to some sources people have mentioned, you can get them in many fish. Also, you can take a supplement like omegas or fish oil.
  • zebulonwindrow
    Options
    Thank you all for responding. =) Each response helped greatly.

I was doing olive oil, nuts, and so on and I wasn't getting those fats but I was getting the bad stuff. I'll check out the labels. I got into this site because I don't have time to check out labels lol. But, they do most of the work and we have a great community here so I'll get my act together. =)

I'll also keep the omegas in mind, I'll take my flax seed oil capsules. I completely forgot that I had them until Servila mentioned Omega-3s.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I really wish manufactures were required to post these numbers. I was pretty concerned too till I realized that if I subtracted the saturated fast from the total fat numbers it would give me at least a rough estimate of unsaturated fats. Still doesn't give me a breakdown of the specifics but reassuring nonetheless. It is just really frustrating though because of my allergies I eat a pretty fat based diet. I just can't really tolerate much in the way of grains.