cocktails?

Options
Looking for some low cal drink recipes. My signature drink is a Margarita or tequila sunrise. I posted this as a status before and the only response I got was gin&tonic.......WHICH I HATE! it tastes like drinking a Christmas tree!

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Vodka tonic?
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Bacardi and Diet? You couldn't drink a worse drink full of sugar than a margarita!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    sf7xmw.gif

Careful, though...serving size is only 4oz.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Bourbon. Neat.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    they make skinny margarita mix.

or just use fresh lime / lemon juice and a little bit of triple sec to mellow the tartness.

or just switch to spirit + diet soda or crystal light or club soda and lime wedge
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Narcotics are calorie free. Just sayin'.
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Vodka soda with lime...mmmm. :) Or club soda + oj + vodka.

Anything can be made lower calorie with gin and/or vodka, and by adding club soda as half or so of the mixer. Lemon or lime add flavor.

With gin, I'd try New Amsterdam. It's not fancy shmancy gin, but it actually has a really nice, subtle flavor. I like to make homemade lemonade with mint (you can control the amount of sugar and/or add an artificial sweetener), add club soda and gin, and boom; heaven. My friends that HATE gin love that drink.
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Narcotics are calorie free. Just sayin'.

Way harder to get a hold of. Waa waa waaaaaaa... (Mario death noise)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    highballs with diet soda... is about as good as it is going to get... Booze is booze... th eonly way to make it palatable is to mix it with some sugar... and of course booze has it's own sugar and carb content... Personally I will stick to Bordeaux's... Tequila... Manahattans... BUT then again I Only drink when there is an occasion... and I am currently holding onto like 60+ bottles of wine...

so... what do I know about drinks
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Gin and diet tonic with two limes is my very favorite!!

But, since you don't like gin, how about rum and diet coke, vodka with light/diet cranberry juice or a wine spritzer?
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    highballs with diet soda... is about as good as it is going to get... Booze is booze... th eonly way to make it palatable is to mix it with some sugar... and of course booze has it's own sugar and carb content... Personally I will stick to Bordeaux's... Tequila... Manahattans... BUT then again I Only drink when there is an occasion... and I am currently holding onto like 60+ bottles of wine...

so... what do I know about drinks

Sounds to me like you're drinking the wrong stuff. I said it before, I'll say it again....bourbon. Neat. Mmmmmm..........
  • tzdani
    tzdani Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like the sugar free, zero calorie Jose Cuervo margarita mix. Then, you only count the booze! About $7 or $8 for the jug at Target (and my Albertson's recently started carrying it).
  • Bella0531
    Options
    With gin, I'd try New Amsterdam. It's not fancy shmancy gin, but it actually has a really nice, subtle flavor. I like to make homemade lemonade with mint (you can control the amount of sugar and/or add an artificial sweetener), add club soda and gin, and boom; heaven. My friends that HATE gin love that drink.

Great suggestion. I don't really care for New Amsterdam, but that's because the flavor doesn't smack me in the face like others do and that's what I love about gin.

Comb 9 gin is also quite mellow - it's made with honeycomb and has a touch of sweetness.
  • Wenderzs
    Options
    I like flavored vodka with Club Soda, but there is still some sugar in most brands flavored vodka. I think Belvedere and Absolut are 2 of the no-sugar flavored vodkas (hence the reason they are 80 proof/stronger and not as sweet). Most flavored vodkas are 60-70 proof because the sugar takes away from the alcohol content. (I'm not a drunk, I work for a liquor and wine marketing company so I've learned a lot.) Personal favorite here is Three Olives Cherry with Club Soda.

The most low-cal drink I can tolerate is plain vodka with club soda with some real fruit squeezed in it. Lemon, lime or orange wedges work well and are generally the available items at a bar.

They do make sugar free margarita mix that's not bad. I use it once in a while. Tequila Sunrise is tough one as there is quite a bit of sugar added to most bottled juices. Maybe trying juicing your own orange juice. Grenadine is nothing but sugary syrup. I'd stay away from that stuff.

Now if there was a way to start making low-cal liquor....hmmmm. Maybe that's a bad idea.
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind artificial sweeteners, Target or any store brand has flavored sparkling waters that are calorie free (and sweetened, not like seltzer). I like the raspberry one with vodka. Maybe lime with tequila?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't really care for New Amsterdam, but that's because the flavor doesn't smack me in the face like others do and that's what I love about gin.

As my fiance says, "Drinking Gin is like skiing and smacking every pine tree on the way down".
  • Wenderzs
    Options
    I forgot mixing with Crystal Light. That works well with quite a bit.
  • Bella0531
    Options
    I don't really care for New Amsterdam, but that's because the flavor doesn't smack me in the face like others do and that's what I love about gin.

As my fiance says, "Drinking Gin is like skiing and smacking every pine tree on the way down".

Hahaha! I love it!