If you're pressed for time...

Options
...and you have to choose between circuit/weight training or cardio, which is the better option?

Yesterday I only had time to do half a workout, but was seriously torn between which half I should do... the circuit training or the cardio? I ended up doing the cardio (partially because I can set the time, partially because the weight machines were busier than I like). Is there a "right' option, or does it not matter as long as exercise is getting done?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    HIIT/Weights.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I would do weight training. I find that if I skip a weight workout, I end up with serious DOMS once I get back to it.

I would only do cardio if I seriously overate that day and needed the extra calories.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    HIIT with weights is what I'm currently doing. Biggest bang for the buck, so to speak. I burn about as many calories in 30 minutes as I would on a stationary bike, but after the workout, my muscles are busy repairing, and it keeps on burning additional calories in the process. You could do cardio, but as soon as you stop, so does ' the burn'...
    The longer cardio sessions are for my lazy days, like 20 miles on the stationary bike and a movie.
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    priority principle
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Depends
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Depends

Alex I'll take
    "what old people's oral sex tastes like for 500"
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    HIIT/Weights.

+1
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'd do weights, but that's because my focus right now is gaining muscle versus losing weight. Obviously I want to do both, but I'm close enough to my goal weight I spend more time doing weights.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    thank you... that helps.

for those of you doing HIIT, are you doing them with or without equipment? and conversely, can that be done using the circuit machines? i have bad knees that prevent me from being able to run or put a lot of pressure on them laterally/diagonally (lunges, or anything with quick and intense side movements is out), but i'm fine with presses, extensions, and the like.