Herbalife

Options
Not sure if this is OK to ask on here and I don't want people trying to sell things to me but wondering about people's personal feelings both consuming herbal ifs products and selling them?? I currently take protein powder and wonder if this is a good way to get my products and make money! Delete post if not ok

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    No. Just eat food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    You'll end up over paying for a mediocre product. The overpay is to pay upline. And the biggest supporting money maker of MLM's are the "distributors/ambassadors/coaches, etc." because they think they are getting a great deal with autoship.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    check the multiple lawsuits filed against them, then make an opinion :wink: :laugh:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You'll end up over paying for a mediocre product. The overpay is to pay upline. And the biggest supporting money maker of MLM's are the "distributors/ambassadors/coaches, etc." because they think they are getting a great deal with autoship.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Pretty much this.

I would rather spend the additional time teaching yourself about portion control and exercise. This way, when you are ready to maintain, you have the knowledge.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Pretty much this.

I would rather spend the additional time teaching yourself about portion control and exercise. This way, when you are ready to maintain, you have the knowledge.

Thanks, never thought about the over paying! 40 pounds off, using a scale, hitting great macros! portion control is no longer an issue! I do however consume one whey protein drink per day to help me hit my protein totals.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have no opinions on Herbalife, but whatever you do, please don't go around trying to sell at your gym.

There is a husband/wife at my gym that wear these huge 'Herbalife' buttons whenever they workout and always try to strike up conversation and get you go buy s**t. At first I thought she was just being friendly, but about 2 minutes into our conversation I realized she just wanted the sale. No frikin' way!

It was beyond annoying to be solicited at my gym.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Options
    I have no opinions on Herbalife, but whatever you do, please don't go around trying to sell at your gym.

There is a husband/wife at my gym that wear these huge 'Herbalife' buttons whenever they workout and always try to strike up conversation and get you go buy s**t. At first I thought she was just being friendly, but about 2 minutes into our conversation I realized she just wanted the sale. No frikin' way!

It was beyond annoying to be solicited at my gym.

Haha! I ruled out selling it!!! That is terrible,too bad the staff doesn't tell them to knock it off!!
  • crystalblair2355
    crystalblair2355 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i did Herbalife or about 3 months but my "coach" was a wanna be and if you didnt want to sell you werent treated very nicely!!
    I ended up paying WAAAAAYYY too much money for the little bit of stuff I did use and have a full container of the shake powder the aloe and the 24 line of restore sitting on my counter not being used cause I got tired of it and decided to just eat right watch calories and continue to do my workouts!! WHICH is what i should have done to begin with! lol
    its a money hungry business in my opinion i wouldnt recommend it honestly ... i have lost MORE doing without herbalife than WITH
    as others have mentioned do some research and read up on the lawsuits that have been done against the company FIRST before going hard core into it!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Bad idea all around. Avoid it.
    Bad for your health, bad for your wallet.

Here's a page of info about HL:
    http://www.mlmwatch.org/04C/Herbalife/herbalife00.html

Especially see...:
    under 'recent information' "Significant Lead Levels Found in Herbalife Products"
    under 'journal articles' the 2 linked studies talking about liver damage, failure, and even death caused by HL products
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    Options
    I bought some herbalife products, the shake mix and some tablets if I remember correctly, and it made me feel so sick that I had to stop taking it after 2 days. I know other people that have had much more success on it, but my experience was not a good one. I definitely won’t be trying it again.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Here is a great read on supplements. Educate yourself on them and make your decisions based on your own needs.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/protein-powder/
  • SydKaty
    SydKaty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Herbalife is always getting a bad rap. I have been doing it for 3 months and I have to say Kudos to my program. I keep my carb, protein and fat levels in check with the range they're supposed to be, I drink 1/2 my weight in water, exercise 30 minutes (or more) per day and replace meals with shakes and make conscious choices about the food that I do eat. I eat lean protein and fish, vegetables and fruits and try to limit my carb and fat/sugar/sweet intake. Hmm... This isn't a diet for me. It's a lifestyle change. My shakes contain skim milk so I'm getting my calcium, which is a benefit because I wouldn't sit and have a glass of plain milk. I have experimented with various concoctions because yes, the first time you try the shakes they might not taste the greatest without extra flavoring. I mix strawberries and other fruits, PB2, or even chocolate syrup. It's not meant to reduce you to a slave. You have to make a choice to change.

My coach does not force or even encourage me to purchase additional product or sell products. Rather, she checks with me weekly to see how I'm doing - asking if I have questions or concerns and provides me with tips for how I can improve my eating /exercise habits.

I have not had coffee since a short time after starting the program. My interest in alcohol (while social at best) has decreased. I went for annual blood work and everything came back great. I even was able to donate blood recently and not have to have them spin my blood for my iron counts.

People say that when you go off Herbalife you end up gaining... Well, if you don't stick to healthy eating, on any diet or lifestyle change, you're bound to gain weight. If you replace a healthy shake or breakfast with McDonald's then yes, you'll gain weight - simple logic.

Everyone has to make a choice about what they want to do to improve their health/food consumption/diet/lifestyle. Why do people have to constantly be bashed? I don't sell, promote or gain anything other than sharing my opinion.
    As far as it being a pyramid scheme, that has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the product itself. If the SEC found cause for concern about their selling practices, the place would be closed. However, they continue to thrive and bring on new customers all the time.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Herbalife is always getting a bad rap. I have been doing it for 3 months and I have to say Kudos to my program. I keep my carb, protein and fat levels in check with the range they're supposed to be, I drink 1/2 my weight in water, exercise 30 minutes (or more) per day and replace meals with shakes and make conscious choices about the food that I do eat. I eat lean protein and fish, vegetables and fruits and try to limit my carb and fat/sugar/sweet intake. Hmm... This isn't a diet for me. It's a lifestyle change. My shakes contain skim milk so I'm getting my calcium, which is a benefit because I wouldn't sit and have a glass of plain milk. I have experimented with various concoctions because yes, the first time you try the shakes they might not taste the greatest without extra flavoring. I mix strawberries and other fruits, PB2, or even chocolate syrup. It's not meant to reduce you to a slave. You have to make a choice to change.

My coach does not force or even encourage me to purchase additional product or sell products. Rather, she checks with me weekly to see how I'm doing - asking if I have questions or concerns and provides me with tips for how I can improve my eating /exercise habits.

I have not had coffee since a short time after starting the program. My interest in alcohol (while social at best) has decreased. I went for annual blood work and everything came back great. I even was able to donate blood recently and not have to have them spin my blood for my iron counts.

People say that when you go off Herbalife you end up gaining... Well, if you don't stick to healthy eating, on any diet or lifestyle change, you're bound to gain weight. If you replace a healthy shake or breakfast with McDonald's then yes, you'll gain weight - simple logic.

Everyone has to make a choice about what they want to do to improve their health/food consumption/diet/lifestyle. Why do people have to constantly be bashed? I don't sell, promote or gain anything other than sharing my opinion.
    As far as it being a pyramid scheme, that has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the product itself. If the SEC found cause for concern about their selling practices, the place would be closed. However, they continue to thrive and bring on new customers all the time.

So, basically, you reduced your calorie intake and added in exercise. Right?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

People often end up gaining because they've been on a highly restrictive diet that doesn't include much normal food. They haven't learned about portions and how much of what they should be eating throughout the day. It doesn't have anything to do with suddenly eating McDonald's everyday (which you can do any still lose or maintain btw), it's just what happens when you go into "diet mode" for a while and then back to "normal mode" without learning what you actually should be eating. So many then put on a few pounds and decide it's time to get back to drinking shakes.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Herbalife is always getting a bad rap. I have been doing it for 3 months and I have to say Kudos to my program. I keep my carb, protein and fat levels in check with the range they're supposed to be, I drink 1/2 my weight in water, exercise 30 minutes (or more) per day and replace meals with shakes and make conscious choices about the food that I do eat. I eat lean protein and fish, vegetables and fruits and try to limit my carb and fat/sugar/sweet intake. Hmm...This isn't a diet for me. It's a lifestyle change. My shakes contain skim milk so I'm getting my calcium, which is a benefit because I wouldn't sit and have a glass of plain milk. I have experimented with various concoctions because yes, the first time you try the shakes they might not taste the greatest without extra flavoring. I mix strawberries and other fruits, PB2, or even chocolate syrup. It's not meant to reduce you to a slave. You have to make a choice to change.

So...you're going to be doing Herbalife shakes instead of eating real food...for life? Good luck with that.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    No. Just eat food.
    Don't understand why this thread is still going after this post?
    :huh:
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

That bolded part right there? That is you selling yourself short. You think you can't do it without some fake magical powder, but you're doing what it takes to lose the weight. You changed your lifestyle. If you want to continue giving someone else credit for all of your hard work, be our guest. It's a shame though.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Options

Thank you for your feedback! Many have voiced the advice of just eating correct but many of us use vitamins, and supplements to help us maintain our health. Not really sure why some took your opinion/ experience as a reason to lecture you! I appreciate your two cents worth!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Thank you for your feedback! Many have voiced the advice of just eating correct but many of us use vitamins, and supplements to help us maintain our health. Not really sure why some took your opinion/ experience as a reason to lecture you! I appreciate your two cents worth!

LOL