Adventure With 21 Day Fix

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    End of Round 1!!

So I survived round 1!! Throughout the 21 days I only missed 2 of the workouts and can see a difference in my performance with each week! The official numbers:

Down 7lbs
    Down 5.75 inches

I'm still trying to track my food a few times per week, the only thing I do get concerned with about the diet plan is that it is not enough calories, but so far so good now that I'm more aware!
    Have you tried to figure out your TDEE? This would be a good way to figure out if you are eating enough calories.
  • northernchic
    northernchic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Wow, Just wow.
    [/quote]

...that was my thought as well...I apologize for ranting, that's really not not like me. It was just so frustrating to be so excited about something that is finally working for me, only to have people crap all over it. In retrospect I probably should have just pulled up my big girl panties and ignored the comments, it was just really hurtful. Ah well... moving on to more positive thoughts...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Wow, Just wow.

...that was my thought as well...I apologize for ranting, that's really not not like me. It was just so frustrating to be so excited about something that is finally working for me, only to have people crap all over it. In retrospect I probably should have just pulled up my big girl panties and ignored the comments, it was just really hurtful. Ah well... moving on to more positive thoughts...
    Aw, I understand. :smile:

I don't think anyone was trying to mean, and I especially was not. Those of us who have been here a long time see so many conversations started about fad diets and fixes. I believe whether any diet plan works for you ("you" in a general sense, not you personally :smile: ) depends on how committed you are to creating and sticking to that calorie deficit. No matter what external stuff we do, the absolute bottom line is that we need to eat less than we burn to lose weight.

I'm going to offer you up another perspective--it is not the 21 Day fix that is working for you, it is YOU working for you. In other words, this is the diet that you chose but it could be any diet. To me, it sounds like you are simply ready to lose weight and that you've found a plan that motivates and works for you. That's great news.

In any event, good luck on your journey. :smile:
  • northernchic
    Options
  • TurboLindsay
    Options
    Just started reading this thread...not sure why I picked it but I did. First off, congrats Betty on completing your 21 Day Fix program! That is a huge accomplishment. Secondly, great job on staying positive, despite any trolls out there. :)

I understand the 21 Day Fix to be more of a teaching tool than a "diet". I hate that word really. It's goal is to get you working out and to teach you about clean eating, whole foods, and portion control. Of course, you already know this by now I'm sure. Just wondering if you agree?

I don't even know you but I'm super proud and excited for you! I have purchased the 21 Day Fix but have not tried it yet - portion control is probably one of my biggest challenges, so I look forward to getting a better perspective on it.

The truth is, no matter where you get your fitness- be it a gym, outdoors, a Beachbody or another at-home program, or a group fitness class - the point is that you're doing it. You're treating your body right and you're taking care of yourself. All of these methods are completely acceptable so you have to do what you enjoy and what works for you. So keep at it and let us know how your journey goes! :)
  • monie5903
    monie5903 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you having it work! 7 lbs down in 3 weeks? I think that's definelty going in the right direction. I'm starting the 21 day fix, FINALLY (I have had it since Apr/May), with my challenge group on September 1st. I came on MPF to see if there were any threads on here about it and had to comment when I saw people on a thread bashing others for choosing this program. I really think people get thrown off by the title, but I feel like that's being small-minded. You have to see past the title to see what it is about. Autumn is not claiming that you'll be fixed in 21 days. It's just to help give you the motivation and keep you on track and work on your eating. I'm so happy to see more positive posts in this thread. YAY!
  • BusyMomma2012
    BusyMomma2012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That is great! I am on day 9 of the program. I borrowed the DVDs from a friend, so I'm not doing the full program. I just needed a workout that would make me work hard & burn calories. I have to do the modified versions of the workouts, but honestly I was surprised I could even do those! I love how there is a schedule, I love how the workouts are challenging, and I love that I have been able to stick with it every day. I plan on continuing the workouts & following the schedule even after the 21 days are over.I still need to get better at controlling my eating, but I'm taking it one day at a time & working towards being a better me!
  • KilaMarie88
    KilaMarie88 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 9 of the 21 day fix, I have to say I am eating a lot more healthy than I ever have in my life! 21 day fix also teaches portion control. I like the exercises, however with my fitbit synching it doesn't really capture what I am doing so I believe I lose out on exercise calories boo :( Also it definitely decreases the normal steps I used to get on my days off of work (I work 3 12s), which I would get a ton from my runs on my days off. It kind of gives me anxiety from my low count of steps, but I also want to see what just following the program does...I never really fell hungry or that I am deprived on the fix, but man my sugar cravings are still present. I realize now that that's just what they are CRAVINGS, not that I NEED to have the sweets to feel full. Oh and I must say, even if I don't see AMAZBALLS results, I emotionally feel 100% better than when I would eat junk (even in moderation). I feel better about being in control and am rid of those nasty guilty feelings after binging! The only thing that I am truly stressing about is not seeing results...I think I will be totally deflated if nothing comes of this. Especially because I feel like there definitely should be good results!
  • northernchic
    Options
    Just started reading this thread...not sure why I picked it but I did. First off, congrats Betty on completing your 21 Day Fix program! That is a huge accomplishment. Secondly, great job on staying positive, despite any trolls out there. :)

I understand the 21 Day Fix to be more of a teaching tool than a "diet". I hate that word really. It's goal is to get you working out and to teach you about clean eating, whole foods, and portion control. Of course, you already know this by now I'm sure. Just wondering if you agree?

I don't even know you but I'm super proud and excited for you! I have purchased the 21 Day Fix but have not tried it yet - portion control is probably one of my biggest challenges, so I look forward to getting a better perspective on it.

The truth is, no matter where you get your fitness- be it a gym, outdoors, a Beachbody or another at-home program, or a group fitness class - the point is that you're doing it. You're treating your body right and you're taking care of yourself. All of these methods are completely acceptable so you have to do what you enjoy and what works for you. So keep at it and let us know how your journey goes! :)

I absolutely agree it's a GREAT teaching tool! I didn't really think about how many unhealthy/processed foods I was used to consuming! I also hate the name "21 Day Fix", it's SUPER gimicky, but honestly I think ANY program is only with what you put into it. For me, it got me excited and gave me a starting point. I know WHAT to do... that's the most frustrating part... you need to create a calorie deficit... but DOING it was a whole other ball of wax lol.

Good luck and definitely come back and let me know how you do!!
  • northernchic
    Options
    Kudos to you having it work! 7 lbs down in 3 weeks? I think that's definelty going in the right direction. I'm starting the 21 day fix, FINALLY (I have had it since Apr/May), with my challenge group on September 1st. I came on MPF to see if there were any threads on here about it and had to comment when I saw people on a thread bashing others for choosing this program. I really think people get thrown off by the title, but I feel like that's being small-minded. You have to see past the title to see what it is about. Autumn is not claiming that you'll be fixed in 21 days. It's just to help give you the motivation and keep you on track and work on your eating. I'm so happy to see more positive posts in this thread. YAY!

I freakin LOVE my challenge group!! They're what really have kept me honest and on track lol. The accountability of having to post after doing the daily exercise and commiserating about it is the BEST lol. Good luck!! Can't wait to see how you do!!
  • northernchic
    Options
    I'm on day 9 of the 21 day fix, I have to say I am eating a lot more healthy than I ever have in my life! 21 day fix also teaches portion control. I like the exercises, however with my fitbit synching it doesn't really capture what I am doing so I believe I lose out on exercise calories boo :( Also it definitely decreases the normal steps I used to get on my days off of work (I work 3 12s), which I would get a ton from my runs on my days off. It kind of gives me anxiety from my low count of steps, but I also want to see what just following the program does...I never really fell hungry or that I am deprived on the fix, but man my sugar cravings are still present. I realize now that that's just what they are CRAVINGS, not that I NEED to have the sweets to feel full. Oh and I must say, even if I don't see AMAZBALLS results, I emotionally feel 100% better than when I would eat junk (even in moderation). I feel better about being in control and am rid of those nasty guilty feelings after binging! The only thing that I am truly stressing about is not seeing results...I think I will be totally deflated if nothing comes of this. Especially because I feel like there definitely should be good results!

Omg I felt the same way!! I was so nervous I wasn't going to see results and dammit this is hard work lol!! Don't get discouraged if the weight doesn't "fly" off... My first week I only lost 1ish lbs...but the measurements at the end are worth it! I posted my before/after pics along with how much weight/inches I lost in my workout room to motivate me!!

Can't wait to hear how you do!! Come back and let me know!
  • EandA85
    EandA85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 2 of my second round. I did my first round in May and it was great. I lost 4 pounds and over 10 inches, and I've maintained nicely since then. I started another round on my own because my exercise was in a rut and my eating was going downhill.

I have found that the 21 Day Fix actually fits nicely with MFP. Looking at my diary entries over the last couple days, my macros are the most in line that they've been in months. AND I'm keeping my calories at an honest 1400-1500 instead of a fudged 1500 that I tend to go to when I'm not using the containers.

I did Shakeology for the first round, but not anymore. WAY too expensive for me and I'm not a fan of MLM so there was no way I wanted to coach. I still like to use protein shakes for meal replacement but it's out of convenience and to meet my protein goals.
  • northernchic
    Options
    I'm on Day 2 of my second round. I did my first round in May and it was great. I lost 4 pounds and over 10 inches, and I've maintained nicely since then. I started another round on my own because my exercise was in a rut and my eating was going downhill.

I have found that the 21 Day Fix actually fits nicely with MFP. Looking at my diary entries over the last couple days, my macros are the most in line that they've been in months. AND I'm keeping my calories at an honest 1400-1500 instead of a fudged 1500 that I tend to go to when I'm not using the containers.

I did Shakeology for the first round, but not anymore. WAY too expensive for me and I'm not a fan of MLM so there was no way I wanted to coach. I still like to use protein shakes for meal replacement but it's out of convenience and to meet my protein goals.

Wow!!! Awesome job!!! Have you noticed a difference replacing the shakeology with a regular protein shake? I think I'll be looking for other options myself... but would love to hear feedback about the difference! The only other shakes I tried were Weight Watchers and they didn't *ahem* agree with my belly lol. Would love to hear how you do in round 2!!!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I say we are all adults and you should do what you feel is right for you. I have been thinking of trying this as well.
    Good Luck to you.
  • EandA85
    EandA85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like Nature's Way Metabolic Reset shakes - only tried chocolate so far but I just ordered Vanilla off Amazon. They have fiber in them and it really helps me with hunger. I thought the texture was pretty similar to Shakeology, especially since I like to use almond milk in them (That is my major complaint with 21DF. No way am I counting 35 calories of almond milk as one of my yellows. Nope. Not happening).

I did not care for EAS Lean 15. Had that fakey sugar taste. That one is actually still sitting in my cabinet. Tera's Whey powder was good, but no fiber (and pricey). Local Wegman's natural brand was pretty good, but again, no fiber. I think those are all the one's I've tried, lol.
  • deechap69
    Options
    Hello all, I have not done the 21 day fix, but I have been doing the P90, P90M, P90X sets from beachbody. I have completed all over the past two years. I am a fitness fanatic, and nowhere near beachbody, but I do it for my health. I will continue to do the P90 workouts, moving on next to the P90X Plus, and on from there. Although I have not lost any weight, I have a pretty solid body, I am in good health, and I can run 8km non stop which is something I was never able to do before. It has helped put me in pretty solid shape as I have a body chemistry for muscle which most bodybuilders would die for. I am happy with the program as it keeps the motivation, it adds challenge and you really do improve your strength and endurance. And that is pretty much what I want out of the program. I have added running into my workouts in the past two weeks, and yes, prior to that, I could not run longer than 20 minutes due to an injured knee and no stamina. In two weeks ..... 8 km!! So I say, good for you for your drive and follow through and I am happy to hear that it works for you.
  • deechap69
    Options
    Oh .... and I will share my protein shake recipe. I call it my power shake. Costco sells whey isolate protein powder, it has 35g of protein per serving. I buy the ice cream flavor. I scoop of that, 1/2 c water, 1/2 c. Olympic Krema Greek Yogurt 0% fat (20g protein!), one raw egg, and 1/4 cup frozen berries.

If I want a light shake, unsweetened almond milk and the same whey isolate protein powder.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I thinking of trying 21 day fix not nessasarily looking for the portion control. I've gotten that down, I want the 30 min workouts. How have you liked them?
  • northernchic
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I thinking of trying 21 day fix not nessasarily looking for the portion control. I've gotten that down, I want the 30 min workouts. How have you liked them?

Hi there!
    For me the workouts are great!! Although I have to say, if it wasn't for the gal who does the modified version I'm not sure if I would survive lol. I like the 30 minute intervals, they seem to go by pretty quick, and the different workout for every day of the week keeps me from getting bored. Mind you... I was doing ZERO official exercise before I started... so I was REALLY starting from the bottom, but I feel like there is quite a bit of room to grow in the program as you get stronger. Hope that helps! :happy:
  • northernchic
    Options
    Oh .... and I will share my protein shake recipe. I call it my power shake. Costco sells whey isolate protein powder, it has 35g of protein per serving. I buy the ice cream flavor. I scoop of that, 1/2 c water, 1/2 c. Olympic Krema Greek Yogurt 0% fat (20g protein!), one raw egg, and 1/4 cup frozen berries.

If I want a light shake, unsweetened almond milk and the same whey isolate protein powder.

Thank you so much!!! I think I'll be switching at the end of this bag lol