Don't believe in myself

Options
2»

Replies

• bimmerjt9
    Options
    It is easier and less stressful to me to not fret over the weight goals. I just made the decision to eat healthy and slowly increase my physical activity as my body can handle it without busting myself up over it. It is easy to get worked up and anxious watching for results. Contrary to what some have said the success stories can make me anxious to see my own results but can also be inspiring. The resolution to make a life style change is something you can accomplish relatively quickly, it's not easy. For me it took a serious health scare. It has been 6 months and I've lost about 10% of my body weight but since joining mfp and really tracking my food intake it has been coming off faster.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Try breaking things down into smaller chunks that are more easily attainable. Write them down along with reasonable deadlines for achieving them (for example, run 1 mile without stopping by Halloween) and work towards those smaller goals. They will make the bigger goals happen without you even noticing them.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I don't believe in myself either, and I am thin and in shape. You need to set little goals and then achieve them. Set easy goals, like working out for 10 mins for five days straight. Then increase it. Don't say a calorie goal that is too aggressive either. Whe. You are feeling down, you need to build yourself back up. If you make goals that are a stretch, you will feel worse if you don't meet them... Also, if you don't feel like working out at all, or want to binge and go over your conservative calorie goal, remind yourself that that you are worth meeting goals and feeling good. You deserve to feel good.
  • Effalunt
    Effalunt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I second those who have suggested breaking your goals into smaller pieces. I realize the first 29 pounds is part of a larger weightloss plan, but what are your other goals? If everything feels like it's too much, can you decide what is your top priority right now? You don't have to accomplish everything on your list, but if have some smaller victories you might have some forward momentum.

Best of luck to you.
  • Kp203N
    Kp203N Posts: 22
    Options
    It is easier and less stressful to me to not fret over the weight goals. I just made the decision to eat healthy and slowly increase my physical activity as my body can handle it without busting myself up over it. It is easy to get worked up and anxious watching for results. Contrary to what some have said the success stories can make me anxious to see my own results but can also be inspiring. The resolution to make a life style change is something you can accomplish relatively quickly, it's not easy. For me it took a serious health scare. It has been 6 months and I've lost about 10% of my body weight but since joining mfp and really tracking my food intake it has been coming off faster.

I understand that. I look at some and get disappointed because my body doesn't look like that. But they are still inspiring :)
  • dani85pex
    Options
    How do i get started in reaching my goals? I know I can reach my goals, I've done it before, but I just can't seem to get out of a slump and reach my goals. I have gained 29 pounds and have lost 1 this week. (good as long as i keep it lost) I wrote my new goals down but I don't believe in myself. i took one step away from my computer and my heart sank. I can't possibly reach my goals. i suck. That's how I feel. What's wrong with me? Why can't I begin to feel batter about myself? i don't even know what goals i want. I've thought about them so much that they are just a mish mash of words in my head and I get all confused. I've had panic attacks before (I have generalized anxiety disorder, but please don't talk to me like i'm crazy :) ) I just want to feel better about myself but I don't believe anyone believes in me and I don't believe in myself. What do it do?

HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS.....now breathe, relax....you've said you've done this before so you know your capabilities! YOU WILL DO THIS! You've already made a good decision and came to the ppl that understand and are exactly where you are or have been....own what you can accomplish and know we're all here for you....Every.Step.Of.The.Way.....as far as your anxietry, I get it....go outside and get some fresh air, no matter the weather, and just breathe. If that does not help, as someone that can relate, medically...there's nothing wrong with calling your doctor and sharing what's going on....Our minds do play tricks and even more so when you're doing something out of the norm or changing was was routine. Having anxiety those can be big triggers for you. I hope this helps. I believe in you. HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I understand that. I look at some and get disappointed because my body doesn't look like that. But they are still inspiring :)

well get used to that- and get out of your own head.

Apparently I (according to some) have a body to die for... and I still have self doubt and image issues occasionally- we ALL have bad days.

It's hard- but you have to work on separating who you are and your self worth from what you look like.

You have to find a happy place about YOU- that is completely separate and not tied to your physical appearance. Because if you don't- when you get to your goal weight- you're going to find yourself deeply unhappy that you have "arrived" and yet somehow you still feel hollow about yourself. Don't rely on "when I get to that- I'm going to be happy" It'll never happen- you have to work on that stuff now.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Why can't I begin to feel batter about myself? i don't even know what goals i want. I've thought about them so much that they are just a mish mash of words in my head and I get all confused. I've had panic attacks before (I have generalized anxiety disorder, but please don't talk to me like i'm crazy :) ) I just want to feel better about myself but I don't believe anyone believes in me and I don't believe in myself. What do it do?

Having recently went through a panic attack not knowing what was going on (scared the daylights out of me), I understand. I had to keep telling myself "It's all in your head..." Scary stuff...

Regarding the "Belief that you are worth the effort," I highly recommend you plug into Personal Development.

I usually recommend John C. Maxwells book "The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth" and another book from him called "Failing Forward." Both life changing in my opinion.

From the 15 Laws My favorite Law is the "Law of the Mirror" which says: You must see value in yourself to add value to yourself. And the author does give tips on improving your self image, which then raises the ceiling of your potential, because you believe you can lose the weight...you will do the work...just like you did last time. :happy:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    946d11581fc803b35320c10fcef04682.jpg
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    you only have 29 lbs to lose, a lot of people on here have 100+ to lose, just do it in small increments 1 or 2 lbs per week, stress makes losing weight even harder so try not to over think it, i would set a calories goal and weigh in no more than once a week so you don't get obsessed with the numbers.

No I don't. I have a small goal of 29 pounds (for now) I have to lose about 140 to reach my goal weight. (of 135) Sorry If i forgot to mention that. Stress does make it harder. And I have already have done those 2 things :) I think I just overthink and worry over it. Thanks :)

I was an overthinker for 44 years. I thought it helped me out (and maybe in some ways it did), but have learned in the big picture that all it does is overcomplicate things.

You only have today. Yesterday is done and tomorrow isnt here yet. You cant undo the past, or control what is to come.

What you can do? Focus on today. Focus on being successful today. Focus on that which you have accomplished, not what you havent.

Try to simplify things, and take pride in your successes.

If you have 29 to lose, lose 1 pound. 29 times.
    If you have 140 to lose, lose 1 pound. 140 times.

You dont have to do it all by tomorrow. And no matter who we are, we can only eat one piece of the elephant at a time.

Give yourself credit for being motivated to do.

And make a conscuous effort to eliminate negative self talk WHENEVER it pops up. It doesnt benefit you, its counterproductive, and ultimantely toxic to yoo.

Been there on the anxiiety, etc. I know of what you speak.

Believe in you. The rest of us do. But at the end of the day? It HAS to come from within. Otherwise, its a band-aid.

Reach out if you need a supportive friend...

Fsunami
  • dispatcher939
    dispatcher939 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Never compare your chapter one to someone else's chapter 20.

Take baby steps and focus on you and what you need to do not what everyone else is doing.

I write all the negative things I think about myself down then go back and write a positive thing for each negative one. It has really help me change the way I think of myself.
  • Kp203N
    Options

Never compare your chapter one to someone else's chapter 20.

Take baby steps and focus on you and what you need to do not what everyone else is doing.

I write all the negative things I think about myself down then go back and write a positive thing for each negative one. It has really help me change the way I think of myself.
    True. Thank you :)
  • Kp203N
    Options
    You guys are being so helpful. Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    How do i get started in reaching my goals? I know I can reach my goals, I've done it before, but I just can't seem to get out of a slump and reach my goals....

1. Be part of a community of like-minded people. MFP is ready made for you. Join one or more of the thriving subgroups in the forums and make some MFP friends. Seeing other people on the same course as you will help you along. You'll help by example, and be helped by example.

2. Be "out" with your goals. Tell your family, friends, coworkers that you're on a weight-loss project. Be open about how much you weigh and how much you want to lose. You will be surprised how much support you'll get from others around you. Plus, when you're public about your goals, it strengthens the resolve to reach them.

3. Make specific sub-goals. I personally broke my seemingly-impossible weight loss task into 10% increments. Just focus on each smaller goal, day by day.

4. Track your progress. On a spreadsheet or with one of the many online tools or apps. Once you start seeing progress on a graph, you will be more determined to keep moving forward.

Hope this helps.

Frank
  • whitpitts
    whitpitts Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started trying to lost weight again about 5 weeks ago. I started at 200 lbs and want to get to 135-140 (for me, that's just a rough estimate because I'd rather be fit with muscle tone and that may make me look good but weigh more). I set small goals to reach, like getting to 170 by November 1 for a cruise. I found fitnessblender.com and that is what REALLY got me through the first few weeks. It's a site run by 2 personal trainers who are husband and wife. They have 400+ free workout videos (more coming all the time) and I'm telling you, it feels like your working out with friends when you watch them. They don't breeze through their workouts. You watch them struggle to get through it just as much as you do sometimes. They are very laid back and I love working out to their videos on days I don't make it to the gym. They also offer recipes, advice (in the forms of video blogs and articles), and weight loss programs. I encourage you to check it out. It could change your life just like it changed mine.

Here's a little something to make you feel good.
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/You-are-Good-Enough-Pass-it-On-/cm/
  • Kp203N
    Options
    I started trying to lost weight again about 5 weeks ago. I started at 200 lbs and want to get to 135-140 (for me, that's just a rough estimate because I'd rather be fit with muscle tone and that may make me look good but weigh more). I set small goals to reach, like getting to 170 by November 1 for a cruise. I found fitnessblender.com and that is what REALLY got me through the first few weeks. It's a site run by 2 personal trainers who are husband and wife. They have 400+ free workout videos (more coming all the time) and I'm telling you, it feels like your working out with friends when you watch them. They don't breeze through their workouts. You watch them struggle to get through it just as much as you do sometimes. They are very laid back and I love working out to their videos on days I don't make it to the gym. They also offer recipes, advice (in the forms of video blogs and articles), and weight loss programs. I encourage you to check it out. It could change your life just like it changed mine.

Here's a little something to make you feel good.
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/You-are-Good-Enough-Pass-it-On-/cm/
    Thanks. i'll check it out :)
  • Kp203N
    Options
    I can relate. I don't believe in myself either, and I am thin and in shape. You need to set little goals and then achieve them. Set easy goals, like working out for 10 mins for five days straight. Then increase it. Don't say a calorie goal that is too aggressive either. Whe. You are feeling down, you need to build yourself back up. If you make goals that are a stretch, you will feel worse if you don't meet them... Also, if you don't feel like working out at all, or want to binge and go over your conservative calorie goal, remind yourself that that you are worth meeting goals and feeling good. You deserve to feel good.
    Thank you. i love your post. :)