So is it 1200 NET calories, or just 1200 calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I personally do not believe in eating back your workout calories. Just seems counter productive to me.
    I agree.

Unless I do a bunch over my normal amount, I don't count it at all and don't eat them back. I gage by hunger. I if I'm hungry, I eat extra. If I'm not, No Way that I'm shoving in food just to eat up to a number.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

You need to eat the 2,600. Peanut butter is cheap. Eat a few spoonfuls. Eventually eating this low will burn you out and you will quit.
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    It is net.

And if you are a male over 350 pounds, net 1,200 probably isn't enough. How many does mfp suggest you eat?

It's telling me 2600/day, which seems crazy to me, I wasn't eating that much before. I can hit 2000 pretty easily I guess, but once I work out that adds another 1000-1500 some days. I can't afford to eat that much! :)

That's definitely off. I'm at 369 and it's giving me 2370 a day....
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    So, if I have a net of 60, that is bad?

Really?....Yes, that would not be using MFP as intended. You're supposed to net your goal.
    It's telling me 2600/day, which seems crazy to me, I wasn't eating that much before. I can hit 2000 pretty easily I guess, but once I work out that adds another 1000-1500 some days. I can't afford to eat that much! :)

What do you mean by 2600 being crazy and that you weren't eating that much before?

Let me verify: I need to net 1200, after exercise.

Also, no need to be snarky. I am new here, and I am learning. :)

You need to net your MFP goal, weather by eating back portions of exercise calories, or not exercising and properly logging. By netting 62 calories, that would be like doing zero exercise and having 2/3's of a 100 calorie snack pack for your entire day of eating.

BTW, that's not snark :drinker:
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You should eat back your exercise calories and net your goal. Eat back your calories because mfp is built to factor in so much activity based on what you set your activity level at, and anything over that equates to calories you can eat back (and should, since the goal is to lose weight in a maintainable way, not lose weight as quickly as possible).

Sorry I'm on my phone and don't have it ready, but find the guide to sexy pants and read it...among some of the other stickied topics here.

I eat back my exercise calories (however, mfp grossly overestimates calories burned, so if you use it to estimate calories burned maybe only eat back half or so, or measure calories burned in some other way). What i am doing and have been doing has been working. I net 1490 calories per day currently with my activity being lightly active (5'4", 34 years old).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Remember you want to eat enough so that this is sustainable. Anyone can just "not eat enough" for a month or two, (usually the ones who gain it all back +). For a man of your size 1200 is ridiculous. I'm 5'3 and did 1300 for the first 3 months here (totally doable), but it turns out it wasn't enough calories for my body. Feed yourself and work on a goal that you will be able to maintain long term.
    Best of luck!
  • freedomwriter88
    freedomwriter88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So, if I have a net of 60, that is bad?

Really?....Yes, that would not be using MFP as intended. You're supposed to net your goal.

What do you mean by 2600 being crazy and that you weren't eating that much before?

Let me verify: I need to net 1200, after exercise.

Also, no need to be snarky. I am new here, and I am learning. :)

You need to net your MFP goal, weather by eating back portions of exercise calories, or not exercising and properly logging. By netting 62 calories, that would be like doing zero exercise and having 2/3's of a 100 calorie snack pack for your entire day of eating.

BTW, that's not snark :drinker:

Thanks for the info!

(I am snarky, so I tend to read things in a snarky tone.)
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    im 6'4 and now weigh 260lb. Since I started this, I have been trying to keep it at 1200 a day, regardless of how much I burn off. My health has been fine, and I have been working out as much as I can.

With that being said, I am under a doctors watch while I am doing this. Always consult a doctor before trying that method.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    my hubby is 200 and mfp gave him 2100 a day without the added exercise calories. I think you need more.