What's your frame size?

Options
I'm not sure if this belongs in success since its a question. But I'm wondering
1) what is your frame size (large, med, small)
2) and while having a healthful diet and exercising do you find you have an easy time losing weight, normal struggle or is it very difficult?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer!

Replies

• dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Small frame size :) when i really put my mind to it I say it comes off easily but not at a fast rate....but since my frame is so small it shows up quicker (I've lost 6lbs and already my co-workers are asking if I'm skinnier)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this - how do you know what size frame you are? I've seen many women lose weight (especially those who start at 250+) and go down to a very healthy weight and completely change appearance. While they seemed a large frame at the higher weight, they become a small person after they lose it.

2) it's a normal struggle for me. It's easy enough for me to eat under calories, but difficult to choose healthy options instead of candy bars + ice cream. Adding exercise is something I am slowly getting used to :)
  • praymond17
    praymond17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would say I have a medium frame...I find I'm builidng alot more muscle so when i get on the scale it says i gained weight..but it's just muscle weight..i would rather see the numbers dropping on the scale. I have a hard time staying on a healthy diet though..so many temptaions out there..like ice cream haha!
  • jAdorelife
    Options
    it doesnt matter what size frame you have when loosing weight. it's based soley on cals in vs. cals out & that depends on work outs, food, weight & amount of muscle b/c it burns more fat...but frame size is not a factor, it only matters when determining how a person carries their weight / where they will see a change first.
  • majikal6
    Options
    I'm not sure if this belongs in success since its a question. But I'm wondering
    1) what is your frame size (large, med, small)
    2) and while having a healthful diet and exercising do you find you have an easy time losing weight, normal struggle or is it very difficult?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer!

Large...well large, large really. At about 6ft tall, I'm pretty thick however, I'm finding that the weight is shedding pretty quickly, almost comparable to the losses being experienced by my husband.

:smile:
  • Chasity_Leann
    Options
    1) I have a medium frame, so i sortof feel like when i do lose weight its not very noticable.
    2) and pounds for me to do not come off easily i find that i lose inches faster than pounds.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I definitely have a medium frame size, and I find losing weight easy as pie until I hit about 145lbs, roughly a BMI of 23 for me, but to get any lower is rough. Even with super clean eating and working out, I can lose fat, but my body just doesn't seem to want to drop the weight. GRRRR..

Anyways, I hope this helps somehow =)

Are you trying to find someone with similar stats to your own?
  • jAdorelife
    Options
    I've been wondering this - how do you know what size frame you are? I've seen many women lose weight (especially those who start at 250+) and go down to a very healthy weight and completely change appearance. While they seemed a large frame at the higher weight, they become a small person after they lose it.

2) it's a normal struggle for me. It's easy enough for me to eat under calories, but difficult to choose healthy options instead of candy bars + ice cream. Adding exercise is something I am slowly getting used to :)

you can test by putting your thumb & pointer finger around your wrist...if your fingers don't touch, large frame..i they just touch, med frame...& if they overlap, small frame.

we did it in my health class in high school haha (:
  • Medium. But I don't feel the wrist test is really valid. I hear about people losing inches (perhaps not full ones, but you get the idea) off of their wrists. I think I have a medium to small frame cos I gain weight very evenly so even if 134 on 5'5 isn't enough to really effect wrist size for most it probably does for me.
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    As im heavy id say im big boned, but years ago when i initially lost alot of weight, i had a change of heart. Id say im a medium frame, and the weight is hard to come off.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Frame size is an interesting question. Bone density varies a little human to human and with age and exercise. Physical exercise will create healthier more densely structured bones. What really varies from person to person is bone girth or the actual thickness of the bones. This also varies with race a bit.

On a personal level. I am Short 5'8" for a guy. and have always thought my self very heavy for my size even when in very good shape. I had the opportunity to have a full battery of tests done to look at all those things and found that despite my shorter stature, my bone thickness is high. As an outward example it is generally believed that wrapping one's hand around the opposite wrist and looking at the overlap or meeting of the middle finger to the thumb give a loose interpretation of bone girth. The group I was in had 13 people .of those twelve the middle finger wrapped to the thumb in 8 cases indicating average bone girth. 3 others were slightly overlapping about an eighth to a quarter inch. 2 of us were short by some distance on the wrap. the other fellow had a gap of about a quarter inch and I had a full inch gap. Afterwords, there was some electrical current tests and a water bath to check bone, fat, muscle contributions to overall weight. The tests were all consistent with the simple wrap method. So.... when I was at what I consider a good healthy solid fighting weight I was at 202 lbs and only 5'8".

Now to qualify all this I will have to tell you that at the time I was lifting (heavy) 4-5 days a week and I am naturally very large chested so i tend to be heavier than most my size. It always makes me laugh to see the "height / weight charts. by their direction I should be about 158 max. I was 155 out of HS when I ran every day and had about 6% bf by the old pinch methods back in the day.

Bottom line...everyone is different. Get to a healthy weight that makes you look and feel good.

I'm gladly a pretty easy weight loser as long as I'm regimented and track everything. I tend to stray easily though.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Medium. But I don't feel the wrist test is really valid. I hear about people losing inches (perhaps not full ones, but you get the idea) off of their wrists. I think I have a medium to small frame cos I gain weight very evenly so even if 134 on 5'5 isn't enough to really effect wrist size for most it probably does for me.

I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is either. I know my frame from other sources so idk. I do know that my wrists lose fat first (if there's any to spare on them). My bracelets start falling off before my jeans ;)
  • moniqueluv
    moniqueluv Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The wrist test is not all that accurate. My fingers touch indicating medium frame, but I'm pretty sure I have a large frame. I tend to be able to carry a lot of weight before I actually look fat. And the inverse to that is that I look pretty thin at a higher weight than someone with a smaller frame. You can use this calculator which I find to be accurate:

http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/framesize1.asp

As for weight coming off, it depends on how hard I work. I tend to lose pounds slowly and consistently, but inches go away faster.
  • Wandami
    Wandami Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think I have a small frame.
  • As an outward example it is generally believed that wrapping one's hand around the opposite wrist and looking at the overlap or meeting of the middle finger to the thumb give a loose interpretation of bone girth. The group I was in had 13 people .of those twelve the middle finger wrapped to the thumb in 8 cases indicating average bone girth. 3 others were slightly overlapping about an eighth to a quarter inch. 2 of us were short by some distance on the wrap.

I thought it was forefinger? If it is middle then I have a small build....unless I got my mum's long hands. Yeah, not so accurate.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I never actually heard of that test and I don't think it's accurate- I have long fingers and my fingers overlapped showing a small ! Frame when I have a med- large frame and (as do others who do I can carry more weight without seeming fat) there are measurements which indicate frame size based on wrist circumference... I do not know if these are accurate with extremely obese individuals with fat on their wrists.

Female Wrist Measurements
    Line:
      1)Height less than 5' 2"
    2)Height 5' 2" - 5' 5
    3) Height more than 5' 5"
    Small
    Less than 5.5"(140mm)
    Less than 6.0"(152mm)
    Less than 6.25

Medium
    5.5" - 5.75"(140 - 146mm)
    6" - 6.25"(152 - 159mms)
    6.25" - 6.5"(159 - 165mm)

Large
    More than 5.75"(146mm)
    More than 6.25"(159mm)
    More than 6.5" (165mm)

Male Wrist Measurements

Height more than 5' 5"

Small 5.5" - 6.5"(140 - 165mm)
    Medium 6.5" - 7.5"(165 - 191mm)
    Large More than 7.5"(191mm)

I found these online! They should be pretty accurate :)
  • Tara_Alesia
    Tara_Alesia Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm large framed (I measured my wrists at work one day. I'm not skinny, but my wrists are kind of bony), but I'm short, so when I lose, people can tell. So far, the weight has come off pretty easily. I'm sure that will slow down in the coming weeks.
  • amysambora
    Options
    I have a small frame and only need to lose a couple of pounds before people start noticing and commenting that I look smaller. Like a previous poster, I lose very easily until I get to a BMI of about 23. After that it's a bit of a battle!
  • cryslynn1980
    cryslynn1980 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    well.... Im 5'2 and mt recommended weight is between like 112 and 128 which I feel will be too skinny for my body frame. I think Im a med-large build so I think 135ish is a good weight for me. I have an extremly HARD time losing weight and feel like I must work xtra hard than others. I am curently at 184 and have been eating healthy and exercising most days and have on lost .5 lbs in 3-4 weeks. So I dont know the true answer to your question but my answer is...in my case it is frustrating due to slow weight loss for med-large build.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I think I am large frame. I am 5'8 and would not be able to go below 150lbs.

Losing weight was very easy when I was 200lbs. Not so easy nearer the goal weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!