Cyclists-Expert advice appreciated!

Options
I am wanting to add cycling into my fitness repertoire....any guidance by those MPF'ers in the know would be greatly appreciated.....I am a complete newbie to the sport meaning I know how to ride a bike but not much else. I want to start with a road bike/long distance type riding. Most importantly, what bikes should I be considering in terms of buying what I need but not spending too much-meaning I want to spend as much as NECESSARY but not more than necessary. What do you cyclists out there recommend in terms of type of bike, setup, etc that would last me about two years without upgrading? Should I buy something off Craigslist or opt for a new bike? What are the pro/cons, etc. Help me out guys! Thanks.

Replies

• JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Anybody cycle around here?
  • mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    Your local bike shop would be your best bet for a visit. it is good to establish a relationship with the person who will be servicing your bike for years to come unless you end up doing it yourself - ain't nobody got time for that! The level of quality will depend on your weight, riding frequency and terrain/weather.

I ride 30 kms a day so I use a mountain bike for durability because I am 210 lbs. I took my road bike out once this summer and broke a spoke pushing too hard on an uphill. Better work out on a mountain bike anyways.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    NOT an 'Expert' but I ride a lot ....

Yeap - go to a bike shop first and make sure that you know what frame size you need.... (you can always buy one 2nd hand after - but you NEED this information!!!!)

Then when you do get you bike - you need to make sure that it is set up CORRECTLY for you (google Bike Fit) - seat height, handle bar height and position, Crank Length, Cleat position etc... etc..) - you'll be surprised exactly how important it is and how many people ride around on a mal-adjusted bike!!

Next - learn to ride again - seriously it's not just about jumping on and turning the pedals - you need to be in the right gear and turn at the correct cadence (pushing high gears at low cadence can bugger up your knees - watch the cycle races and you'll see they 'Spin' at quite a high rate ..... I tend to spin at around 90+rpm - but there is a lot of info on line (some conflicting ... [shock!!])

Get your BIKE fitness up - take it slowly and add mileage at a conservative rate - don;t burn yourself out or get injured.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    By all means, keep it fun! It ain't work and you are not in the tour de France.

Pretty much what shropshire said. Get a bike the right size and fitted to you, and a bike shop is best for this.

Do NOT think you should spend much money. (Ohh, I want more equipment!) Resist this. The latest titanium/carbon/bull-handle roadbike is totally useless to a newbie cyclist. If you spend 300-700 on Giant brand roadbike, including setup, that is fine. Again, like he said, you gotta learn proper pedaling style and gear changing. Do not spend a bundle on clothes. Lycra does not make the man.

I ride a recumbent bike. They are not better, they are more comfortable and it might appeal to you. Try one if there is one in the shop.

Really, you would do better with your question googling for beginning cyclist and youtube for cycling technique and conditioning.

Join your local cycling club.
  • eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER: I'M NO EXPERT, but have ridden a bit in the past and just got back into cycling. I agree with the others on here that said stop by your local bike shop.
    I went to three or four in the Tampa Bay area before I found one that "felt right"!
    At a few of them I was ignored as if they didn't think the older fat dude would spend any money!

The one I went to actually discouraged me from buying a bicycle more expensive than I ended up with - who does that these days??

As for how much to spend, that's a personal preference and personal finance issue, but if you want something that will last figure on something in the $500 and up range if you buy new. I went pricey and added a high-tech bike computer from Cateye w/GPS, but then again I am an I.T. professional and gadget freak. But if you get a mount for your cell phone you can actually use apps like Endomondo, Strava, MapMyRide, etc to record your rides and then they'll post calories expended to MFP autoMAGICALLY!

It's great to have your rides tracked online if you are into comparing ride speed and heart rate (most apps work with HRM's)

Back to the bike itself, what was said earlier about proper "fit" CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH!!!
    If you get a bicycle that doesn't fit you, you will NEVER be comfortable - spend the money with a local shop that gives you a good level of service and will take care of you. The shop I chose even does adjustments FOR LIFE when you buy from them!!

Another sign you are at a good bike shop is if they let you do test rides. I found a shop that INSISTS on you riding the bike before the sale. It ensures that you are happy with the handling and fit of the bike.

As for Carbon Fiber bikes being useless to a newbie cyclist (as stated by another person on here) I have to disagree.
    I've never owned one before but LOVE the lack of vibration, I'd ride one just to see how you like them - you may prefer the feel of a carbon frame. Actually ride several different bikes to see the difference in handling, fit, and feel! You may be more comfortable on a "city bike" with a flat handle bar, or you may like the traditional road-bike with drop bars....you'll only know after riding them.

As for clothes, Lycra may not make the man, but denim shorts will certainly RUIN THE MAN -= proper bike shorts make a world of difference in comfort.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    My husband was a competitive cyclist in college but after years of back surgeries, etc he has gone to a long base wheel recumbent, much easier on the back and much more comfortable to ride. He got me a recumbent trike and I love it. It is much more stable than a two wheel. It is heavier than his two wheel but again much more stable. We both have cleats with the clip on pedals and for me, this makes cycling easier as I can just spin my legs and pull back without my feet falling off the pedals. Recumbents are nice but tough to get up hills because you can't stand up and use your body weight, but they do have the gears so you're not pushing really hard. Mine also has under the seat steering which is nice because my arms are down at my side when riding.
    We got ours used from craigslist for a little less than half the retail (his was 500 and mine was 675). There are the tadpole type three wheel recumbents that have two wheels in the front and these are lighter than the kind I have and much faster. I would say yes, start slow and add miles and time to your ride as you get more comfortable and stronger. If you live near a rails to trails this is the best place to ride as it is usually shady and since it used to be a train track, there are no hills above 3%.
    If you're going to get a traditional bike you just need to be sure you get the ride size for your height (bike shop can help with this) and if you want to spend extra- a lighter frame. Also a comfortable seat is a must (which is why I love the recumbent). Be sure to carry a first aid kit with you at all times (we learned that one). The two wheel recumbents are a little tricky to get going but if you test one out wherever you buy one you can get the hang of it quickly.
    Check out bike tours around the country to connect with other riders too- have fun and be safe (wear a helmet)!
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options
    Oh! and a good pair of cycling shorts. It's very "owie" on the butt in the beginning.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Some good advice above, but just one thing I'd add: it's an old saying among cyclists that the purpose of your first bike is to help you figure out what you need for your second bike.

So don't drop mega=$ on your first bike. I agree having a look at your LBS is a good idea. Department store bikes are overall much lower quality.

If at all possible, think about bke commuting to work or for some of your errands, riding to the gym, or whatever. It works a lot better if you can get it into your daily routine. Burn kCal instead of gas!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    there might be a little more mileage asking this question in one of the cycling related groups mate :-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/344-bicycling-road-and-mountain

would be a good place to start...
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options

If at all possible, think about bke commuting to work or for some of your errands, riding to the gym, or whatever. It works a lot better if you can get it into your daily routine. Burn kCal instead of gas!
    Great idea! Thanks and thanks to you all for the advice....I am excited to get riding!
  • wesleepuntilthesungoesdown
    Options
    Oh! and a good pair of cycling shorts. It's very "owie" on the butt in the beginning.

especially if you want to do long distance!... otherwise you're gonna be sore :)
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    budget to buy a decent track pump as well as a bike, and keep your tyres close to the max recommended (it'll be written on the side of the tyre). Check them every day, it makes life so much easier...

something that looks like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=track pump
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    No "expert" here either but I typically ride 100 or more miles per week. Most of the information above is true and accurate, but I like another poster I disagree with the "carbon/titanium/et al is useless for beginners" sentiment. The fact is that different frame materials have different ride quality and different strengths and weaknesses. Aluminum bikes are relatively light and economical but their ride quality isn't as good as many carbon bikes, especially the newer "comfort" or "endurance" bikes (Specialized Roubaix, BMC Gran Fondo, Trek Domane, etc) and will generally be heavier. Just keep that in mind and don't get hung up on frame material too much at this point.

My recommendation would be to find a local bike shop you're comfortable with and start building a relationship. You can look around there and get a feel for what things cost vs. what you're willing to spend. I'd also ask about local cycling groups or clubs that might be a good fit for you as a beginner to get some mentoring. There are a TON of things to learn, from equipment selection to training to best practices to road and bike handling skills.

Feel free to add me as a friend and/or message me if you have any more specific questions. I'm kind of a cycling gear nerd so happy to help.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I won't ever call myself an expert, because as soon as you do someone else will make you look dumb. However, I have been riding for years average between 150 - 200 miles per week. I am also a pretty decent bike mechanic (not working currently … by choice).

Get fitted! It is the most important thing. Good components make the difference so expect to spend at least $1000. I don't know your weight, but if you are still heavy you can get wheel sets intended for the larger rider … American Classic makes an awesome wheel set called Hurricanes that served me well when I was over 250 (not that anymore YAY!). I live in the mountains, so my riding is pretty much climbing and never broke a spoke.

I personally don't get terribly caught up into how much one component weighs over another. I know a lot of cyclist who do. I do get caught up in how smoothly the bike shifts through the gears. I can not abide a derailleur that drops. Dropping a chain is something you often live with till you figure out that slight hesitation so you don't drop the chain. The cheaper derailleur will give you a headache no matter what you do. So invest in good components. When you are ready for the Tour De France you can worry about how much everything weighs.

If I'm touring I ride a touring bike, if I'm riding road I ride a road bike, if I'm single tracking I ride a mountain bike. If I'm going to ride a mixture of pavement and dirt roads (not single track) I choose my touring bike as it handles multiple surfaces well.

I will recommend that you not buy a hybrid. They are generally less expensive, but are intended for people not serious about riding and use cheaper components. I promise you that very few people are happy with a hybrid purchase.

The other thing to really consider is the appropriate saddle for you. Remember soft is not good after about 10 miles, in fact it becomes more painful. Most bike shops today have a device for you to sit on to determine the appropriate saddle width/length for you. A firm saddle that is the appropriate width and length for you will be comfortable on long rides.

Oh! I second the cycling shorts recommendation.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to add cycling into my fitness repertoire....any guidance by those MPF'ers in the know would be greatly appreciated.....I am a complete newbie to the sport meaning I know how to ride a bike but not much else. I want to start with a road bike/long distance type riding. Most importantly, what bikes should I be considering in terms of buying what I need but not spending too much-meaning I want to spend as much as NECESSARY but not more than necessary. What do you cyclists out there recommend in terms of type of bike, setup, etc that would last me about two years without upgrading? Should I buy something off Craigslist or opt for a new bike? What are the pro/cons, etc. Help me out guys! Thanks.

Get a bike that fits your budget, and most important - that fits!!! Sure, we can ride a bike that doesn't fit so well, but you mentioned long distance type of riding. You can get away with 1 - 2 hour rides on a bike that doesn't fit, but when you start riding 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 hours anything that causes discomfort will be HUGELY magnified.

Unless you are really flexible and are not racing, I would avoid road bikes with race geometry. The "industry" is finally getting it and producing bikes that are called "endurance geometry". They have taller head tubes so your handlebars are higher, and they come with drop bars that are a shorter reach and have less drop so that you can actually use all three positions (hoods, flats, and drops). Specialized Roubaix is in this segment. As is the Trek Domane. Plenty of others as well.

New or used? Either if it fits. In the newer trend, disc brakes are and will be common place on road bikes. Depending on where you live, that is a nice boon if you ride in inclement weather, on gravel, on streets that have a lot of grime, sand, salt during the winter months as the streets/highways are treated.

I have the Specialized Roubaix from last year without the disc brakes as they were not available last year in my size of bike. It's been a great bike for me because it fits and performs what I need for the long endurance riding. My son, who is very flexible, has the Specialized Tarmac because he likes to be down in the racer position and it has not been a problem for him to ride endurance length of rides at all.

It all depends on your body, preferences and budget. Just make sure the frame fits you and the wheels are designed to handle your weight/size. Consult online fitting charts. Test ride several sizes. Ask for guidance and alterations that can be made to dial in a fit at the bike shop. They have bikes from $1K all the way up to $15K+.

You could start out with a used bike in good shape to get started at a lower cost. Then, you will start to get a feel for what you like and don't like. You can test ride and demo bikes to help you feel and see what is out there that would work for you.

There is no right or wrong answer outside of getting one that fits. ;-)
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Ditch the road bike idea and get a mtn bike :-)
  • s_bashore
    s_bashore Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a life long cycler and currently have four bikes hanging in my garage. First you should do some research. Do you want to road bike or mountain bike? Or a combination of both? To what degree? Different types of biking are totally different experiences. Once you've settled on a type of biking, do some research on bikes. If you buy a cheap Wal-Mart bike you may fail in your plan because you don't have good equipment. You don't have to spend a fortune but you have to resolve to spend enough to get a quality bike that will serve your purpose. You'll get your value in a lot more pleasure and benefits, because if you enjoy it, you'll do it more. I ride as often as I can just for the sheer pleasure of it. Take your time and plan.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

OP says he wants to do road riding, not mountain biking.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

Why? The OP stated that he wants to ride distances, a road bike is far more suitable for this than a mountain bike. mountain bikes are great for riding trails, they're built with sturdy, heavy frames for a reason. A road bike (whether it's aluminum or CF) will be lighter, faster and more comfortable for riding long distances.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    And as far as the recumbent bike that she was talking about above. No. Just no.