Bored Housewife seeks buddies?

Options

Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Do want ranch, being able to do my own thing all day, and a bunch of animals.
  • Muchaneta1305
    Options
    I've already fed the animals, scrubbed water tanks, got started on a few loaves of bread, walked my dogs, and cleaned my kitchen. So....for the next hour while I wait on laundry and rising bread....I have nothing much to do.

Sounds like my type of girl!!
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Do you have any pics of baby goats?
    Please?
    goat_1.jpg
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Are you asking us or telling us?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a pair of these in the spring and can't wait.......

tumblr_m7zujrf0qc1r5c792o4_250.gif
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have Nubians (the ones with really long ears), lamancha (the ones with no ears), one fainting goat (who does not faint), and one Boer goat (the 4h breed).

They're absolutely spoiled.

We aren't milking yet but two of my girls are expected to kid by thanksgiving :)
  • NastyNinja
    NastyNinja Posts: 120
    Options
    Never hurts to have some human interaction once in a while. I think we would all go crazy without it. I used to do a lot of power lifting, so I repsect that! I just wish I had this diet while I was lifing, I might actually be in shape!
    My husband was home from september-march and then june-today so I'm suddenly realizing the cats aren't good conversationalists (one is snarky, another is ADHD and keeps wandering off....*sigh*)

I was ALMOST at a 305lb dead lift when I quit to start The Adventure Into Self-Sufficiency (or...Why Did We Think 150 Chickens Was a Good Idea?)

Hey that is awesome! At my peak, with a slight slipped disk, I could pull 610 quarter dead lifts. Full dead lift, I was at 425. I didn't do those as much because of tweaking my back in football years ago. I still try to do powerful movements but with limited wear and tear lol.
    WOW. I don't think I own that much weight! I originally stopped due to a muscle tear, but then hubby lost his job and (I love him dearly buuuut) I'm the only one who knows the ins and outs of livestock care so I was suddenly under the gun to make ends meet. I learned to tan pelts and we started fur trapping, which led to me learning how to raw feed my dogs so we weren't wasting whatever animal we trapped, which led to my hubby realizing there's money in homesteading when done right....and the next thing I know I'm hatching 120 chicks at a time and pricing milk goats.

Oh good, so at least all the pressure wasn't put on you! People don't understand that working animals is pretty crazy and intense. you can't call in sick one day and not feed them. Power to you for stepping up and being awesome. You deserve to get pack into power lifting and feel great again!
  • Dee3394
    Dee3394 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello I am Dee. I live in North Carolina and I am a Job coach. I work odd schedules, when my clients get a job, I go to work with them. So this morning I am home doing paperwork and enjoying the silence of home for a while until I have to go to a meeting this afternoon. I used to have a small farm in Kentucky when my husband was living. It was plenty of work of every hour of every day and it was small. I could only imagine working on one in Texas. Keep up the good work. How do you make your bread?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    You eat cats and dogs?

Teehee just kidding! Though... technically you did say that ;)

Anyway, good on you, getting exercises planned! You sound very efficient... something I could strive to be better at!
  • KandGRanch
    Options
    Never hurts to have some human interaction once in a while. I think we would all go crazy without it. I used to do a lot of power lifting, so I repsect that! I just wish I had this diet while I was lifing, I might actually be in shape!
    My husband was home from september-march and then june-today so I'm suddenly realizing the cats aren't good conversationalists (one is snarky, another is ADHD and keeps wandering off....*sigh*)

I was ALMOST at a 305lb dead lift when I quit to start The Adventure Into Self-Sufficiency (or...Why Did We Think 150 Chickens Was a Good Idea?)

Hey that is awesome! At my peak, with a slight slipped disk, I could pull 610 quarter dead lifts. Full dead lift, I was at 425. I didn't do those as much because of tweaking my back in football years ago. I still try to do powerful movements but with limited wear and tear lol.
    WOW. I don't think I own that much weight! I originally stopped due to a muscle tear, but then hubby lost his job and (I love him dearly buuuut) I'm the only one who knows the ins and outs of livestock care so I was suddenly under the gun to make ends meet. I learned to tan pelts and we started fur trapping, which led to me learning how to raw feed my dogs so we weren't wasting whatever animal we trapped, which led to my hubby realizing there's money in homesteading when done right....and the next thing I know I'm hatching 120 chicks at a time and pricing milk goats.

Oh good, so at least all the pressure wasn't put on you! People don't understand that working animals is pretty crazy and intense. you can't call in sick one day and not feed them. Power to you for stepping up and being awesome. You deserve to get pack into power lifting and feel great again!
    thank you :) honestly, the saying is true: do what you love and you'll never work a day.I have rescued animals since I could walk, so when my husband said, "eggs are expensive. Let's get chickens!" I was ALL OVER it. The only times I desperately want a break is if I get sick or if its really cold outside. I'll go wrangle poultry in the pouring rain without complaint but I HATE the cold! I always tell people it sounds like more work than it feels like, but its something you do all day, every day. I'll never take another vacation, or go out of town for a weekend, or stay the night with friends. I'm tied to the animals. But I'm perfectly happy, so taking an hour a day to enjoy is just icing on the cake :)
  • NastyNinja
    NastyNinja Posts: 120
    Options

thank you :) honestly, the saying is true: do what you love and you'll never work a day.I have rescued animals since I could walk, so when my husband said, "eggs are expensive. Let's get chickens!" I was ALL OVER it. The only times I desperately want a break is if I get sick or if its really cold outside. I'll go wrangle poultry in the pouring rain without complaint but I HATE the cold! I always tell people it sounds like more work than it feels like, but its something you do all day, every day. I'll never take another vacation, or go out of town for a weekend, or stay the night with friends. I'm tied to the animals. But I'm perfectly happy, so taking an hour a day to enjoy is just icing on the cake :)

That is truly awesome you love what you do that much. I don't hate my job, but it is a job that provides the means for living. My prime focus is how I live outside of work. I want to make sure I am not work 24/7. When I clock out, I am done with work until the next morning. If you can't find the time to lift someday, just stat deadlifting animals. That will really help with those stabilization muscles when they start kicking all over lol. I promised myself that I wouldn't get back into lifting until after I hit my ideal weight. Then I will work to build back up the right way with the right diet and hopefully keep the tone with the muscle mass. But that is a long road ahead. I messed up for too long and now I have to pay it back!
  • KandGRanch
    Options
    Hello I am Dee. I live in North Carolina and I am a Job coach. I work odd schedules, when my clients get a job, I go to work with them. So this morning I am home doing paperwork and enjoying the silence of home for a while until I have to go to a meeting this afternoon. I used to have a small farm in Kentucky when my husband was living. It was plenty of work of every hour of every day and it was small. I could only imagine working on one in Texas. Keep up the good work. How do you make your bread?
    are the Carolinas as beautiful as I've always heard?
    I have a super easy yeast bread recipe I use :)
    Dissolve 2/3 cup sugar in 2 cups warm water and add 1.5 TBS active dry yeast (NOT quick yeast). Let it sit until its a creamy foam.
    Mix 1/4 cup olive oil and 1.5 tsp salt into the bowl.
    Add and mix 6 cups of bread flour to the liquid, then turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and silky.
    Place in a greased bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let it rise until its doubled in size (about an hour in a warm house).
    Punch it down, divide in half and knead until silky again.
    Place in two loaf pans (VERY well greased and floured). Let them sit until it has risen 1" over the lip of the pan.
    Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until its a rich, dark gold.

Try not to eat entire loaf.
  • KandGRanch
    Options
    You eat cats and dogs?

Anyway, good on you, getting exercises planned! You sound very efficient... something I could strive to be better at!
    I HAVE eaten raccoon and opossum :) haha
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    You eat cats and dogs?

I HAVE eaten raccoon and opossum :) haha
    Yeah, I have to admit I'd probably eat just about anything. Except cats. I've had too many as pets. And also not tripe. Because... some reason I can't get over that!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    mmm bread... you can add me
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    *raises hand then runs away*
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Kelsi (the K in K&G Ranch). I'm 24 and live in Texas. I raise or grow my own food, and I have chickens, ducks, rabbits, and goats as well as cats and dogs.

My husband went back to work after a long layoff this morning and it looks like I'm in for a long day! I've already fed the animals, scrubbed water tanks, got started on a few loaves of bread, walked my dogs, and cleaned my kitchen. So....for the next hour while I wait on laundry and rising bread....I have nothing much to do.

This afternoon I have someone coming to get eggs and chicks.

But in the meantime I realize I've had a lot of company these past few months and now I find myself without much human interaction!

So I have my workouts scheduled (I'm going to get back into powerlifting) and id like some new buddies to chat with from time to time :)

Hi .

I'm Heidi, am also a housewife, but I live in Cape Town South Africa.
    I dabble in bread baking and have a small veggie patch and a few fruit trees.
    My sister however has chicks, geese , donkeys and a caracal problem :sad:

Feel free to add me :smile:
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Hey I made bread this morning too! :drinker:

Farm living here in Virginia, no livestock (yet) because we work two jobs, but I have cats and a dog.

I'll send you a request! :wink:
  • Memorableheart
    Memorableheart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am a housewife as well. I will as you as a friend. No worries you will get used to your new schedule. I hope. lol :)