Fish for people that hate fish?

I hate Fish. Something about the texture/ taste combination just really does my head in. I have tried Cod, Trout, Tilapia, Salmon, and Catfish. Hated them all. I do however really love seafood like crab legs, lobster, and scallops. I also really like most amphibious reptiles like, alligator, snake, and frog legs.

The trick here is that I really want to like fish and I know that somewhere out there there is a fish that will swim happily in my belly.

Help me find it. What type of fish would you recommend for someone who hates fish. Recipes welcome.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Tuna steaks and Sea Bass steaks have more of the texture of meat. They are a denser, more solid fish. It's hard for me to comment on the flavor since I like fish but I'd say these two are on the milder of the fishy flavor scale.
  • Same ! Love the not so good for me seafood items! I tolerate tilapia, recently with lots of lemon .... Because it's good for me only. I've heard it's the least fishy fish....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    why not just stick with what you do like? namely the crustasceans

i think all fishies have similar texture. tuna and sea bass are definitely meatier but they are fishy and flakey like fish
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    You like frogs legs and snake, but not cod, salmon, or even ahi tuna? Weird.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    have you tried salmon in different recipes? sometimes what compliments the fish dish is key. i'm not the biggest fan of tuna, because of the taste and texture, but i still eat it as a snack or on sandwiches or something. usually when i have fish i like having lemon with it, and lots of veggies or rice along side it. have you tried tilapia? it has a soft sweet texture depending on how it's cooked, maybe you'd like it with some creamy rice dish baked in the oven. if all else fails, shrimp is pretty good for you! i think oysters/mussels might be too but i'm not sure ahah
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Try Monkfish. They call it the poor mans lobster because it has a similar texture. Also swordfish is "meatier".
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Why do you want to like fish? I never liked fish/any seafood. Wasn't crazy about meat in general, but always hated fish. The only way I could get it down was as deep fried fish sticks smothered in mayo (soo healthy). I gave up and became a vegetarian. Good luck finding something you'll love (and no shame if you never do).
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Swedish fish!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    I don't much care for fish myself, but i do eat it now. Tilapia is decent, tuna steaks....it's really good if you put a sauce on it (i make my own honey mustard sauce, which comes out to about 20 calories for a tablespoon).
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Strange .. but each to their own..... Try Fish Pie ... it might disguise the texture enough for you to get it down your neck.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    why not just stick with what you do like? namely the crustasceans

i think all fishies have similar texture. tuna and sea bass are definitely meatier but they are fishy and flakey like fish

This.

I really don't like fish that much. So, I don't eat it. I will have salmon once in awhile and prefer it with brown and wild rice.

However, it does exclude tuna for some reason. I eat tuna mixed with black beans and salsa rolled up in a wheat tortilla. Or a tuna melt.
  • bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Grouper is a really good fish! Its not always available, though. Its a white fish and not fishy tasting. I tried it at Bonefish recently. I, too, favor shrimp, lobster and scallops and surprisingly, Grouper reminded me of scallops in the taste. Its worth a try!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Try Monkfish. They call it the poor mans lobster because it has a similar texture. Also swordfish is "meatier".

I'm going to second swordfish steaks... Pan sear them in butter.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Gotta just say here I also hate most fish - just the smell alone grosses me out even if it's not fishy. Texture - yuk. I LOVE sushi. Good, fresh, raw fish is delicious and a completely different flavor and texture. Worth a try?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Swedish fish!
    Word to yer moms
  • lhopex3
    lhopex3 Posts: 12
    You're missing out on the best ones! Yellow-fin tuna steaks and salmon.

Yellow-fin tuna steaks:
    pan seared with braggs amino acids

Salmon:
    baked with salt, pepper, and lemon

Nothing better, especially if you get them fresh. I grew up in the seafood industry, with my parents and previous generations all owning seafood markets and I truly began to hate seafood. Only recently did I rediscover the taste and nutritional value of these two wonderful foods.

** if possible, try to eat wild seafood. With salmon, make sure it's organic if it's farmed...there's a farm off of Norway that farms incredible salmon in a real ocean environment, so they're eating their real diet! Supaa cool
  • I love salmon, but only if it's overcooked. I don't think I could order it at a restaurant...they serve it almost raw! Blech!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Grouper is a really good fish! Its not always available, though. Its a white fish and not fishy tasting. I tried it at Bonefish recently. I, too, favor shrimp, lobster and scallops and surprisingly, Grouper reminded me of scallops in the taste. Its worth a try!

I had grouper for the first time last week. Wow was it delicious!

OP: I am a fan of shellfish too. If you don't like fish, just stick with that!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Swordfish has a more meaty, dense texture if it's cooked well - kind of reminds me of a pork chop.

While I love salmon, it has to be Atlantic, has to be the bulkier mddle part of the filet (no tail pieces) and has to be cooked well. This gives it a meatier texture IMHO.

Not sure where you get your fish but you may want to try to go to a speciality shop if possible. I've learned the cuts you get in the grocery store aren't always great becuase they've been frozen for a while or sometimes even partially thawed and refrozen so there is freezer burn/damage. Talk to a reputable fish monger or do research online so you know what to look for.

For instance, I learned recently that swordfish meat should be more opaque (not cloudy like it can get when it has freezer burn) and should not have any of those bloody spots you sometimes see.

The only problem with experimenting with different cuts is that the good ones tend to be more expensive...kind of like beef.
  • azrubael
    azrubael Posts: 65 Member
    Wow, lots of suggestions. Thanks! I am really looking forward to grabbing some of these on my next grocery trip to give them a try. You are all awesome.