Eager but worried: knee pain

Options
Like many, I am eager to get this weight off. I know to be patient but that part is so difficult.

My head wants to exercise like my younger thin body could. But I am concerned about injury. I am 5 foot 2, 180 pounds with a current low level of fitness. I have a history of joint pain, particular knees and ankles primarily because of weight and years of step aerobics in my youth.

On a whim I just did Day 1, 30DS with some modification to protect knees but I think 30 days straight of that is going to wreck my joints.

What can I do that will FEEL like I am accomplishing something? I hate walking, swimming, stationery bike right now by the way because they feel boring. I need a DVD or youtube kick start that incorporates strength training. Like 30DS but without risk of knee and ankle destruction!

Any ideas?

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Try turbo jam. If you follow her modifications, those people's feet never leave the ground..
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I think at the moment being bored is your best options, get some weight off then as you feel better start ramping up the intensity.

If you feel ANY knee pain, stop. It simply isn't worth it and will only impede your progress in the long run.

Putting the weight on took a while, getting it off is going to take a while. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Slow and steady wins
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Try turbo jam. If you follow her modifications, those people's feet never leave the ground..

I agree with Turbo Jam, after all Mindy lost all kinds of weight and her feet "never left the ground" :smile:
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm early 50s, 5'3" and was around 200lb at my heaviest a couple of years back. It has never stopped me exercising, even though I do get the odd ache and pain.

Do what you enjoy and don't wait until you've lost weight to start exercising. This is self defeating and there is no reason why you shouldn't do some exercise. Listen to your body and don't go bonkers or try and work through any unusual pain.

I enjoy lots of intense cardio stuff (Combat, Running, Spin etc.) , and did even when I was 200lbs. It is much easier now I am lighter, which is great, but I was still happy doing it when much heavier.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

You can try it OP but I still found I had knee pain with TurboJam as there was some twisting moves. Impact isn't the only thing that can aggravate your problems.

I really liked Hip Hop Abs - got the 2 disc set from Amazon that includes Ab Sculpt, Total Body Burn and Fat Burning Cardio. They're a ton of fun and you can choose which one to do based on how much time you have. The only part that might pain you is the squats in Total Body Burn but you can ease yourself into that. Do a few, walk in place, do a few more, etc. There are only a few parts that become high impact but you can follow the modifier.

IMHO, 30 day shred is horrible for anyone with joint problems. Way too much jumping around.

ETA: Just remembered Jillian has another program called No More Trouble Zones. The warm-up includes some jumping jacks and the like but you can just skip those and walk in place. The rest of it is all strength trainnig based combo moves like squats with a bicep curl or sit-ups with a chest press.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Many of the videos out there today have a lot of jumping around, twisting, etc. I would get back to the basics - exercises that are going to strengthen the body in the glutes, hams and quads. When the hip girdle is strong, it translates into healthy knees, generally speaking. So, work on squats, deadlifts, leg extensions, weighted step ups, adduction/abduction of the legs, and hip extensions.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Look for low impact workouts......

Here's a great low impact circuit workout (like 30 DS is a circuit workout): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0C8awjNIQ

These are good websites to find low impact DVDs......video clips and impact info, equipment required list, etc.

http://www.collagevideo.com/

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/default.asp

Another option....a rebounder (mini-trampoline). I like Leslie Sansone Just Walk DVDs which are simple enough to do on a rebounder, I sub in my own rebounder moves. These make everything lower impact.
  • tuxedord2
    tuxedord2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! This is such a motivating community!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    try swimming.
    Options
    Focus T25 is a great workout, lots of variety and offers modified movements. I too had bad knees but through caution and consistency I shed 19 pounds and my knees have never been better. Listen to your body, is it pain that will lead to injury or just your body getting back in motion again?