stomach pouch won't budge!

Options
I think I'm gonna be one of those ppl that no matter how hard I workout or restrict my calories this pouch of a stomach wouldn't budge! I have been strength training 3-4 times a week, cardio 3 days and I get enough protein and consume less calories than my maintence ( I eat 1420) I'm 115 pounds and even at this weight I've always had that bulge! I dream of having it a flat stomach and have been working my *kitten* off! Will I just stay like this no matter what?

Replies

• mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump- I too would like suggestions.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Mine is a lot smaller now that I'm nearing the lower end of the BMI estimate. But it looks like I'm going to have to be at the very lowest healthy body fat possible to get rid of the rest of what I want gone. And it has definitely been the last holdout.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I made a post about this earlier. Seems to be a common problem for women especially women who have had children. Guess one of those wonderful joys of motherhood.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna be one of those ppl that no matter how hard I workout or restrict my calories this pouch of a stomach wouldn't budge! I have been strength training 3-4 times a week, cardio 3 days and I get enough protein and consume less calories than my maintence ( I eat 1420) I'm 115 pounds and even at this weight I've always had that bulge! I dream of having it a flat stomach and have been working my *kitten* off! Will I just stay like this no matter what?

Read here. The OP was obese and is a mum with 2 children, I think: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I made a post about this earlier. Seems to be a common problem for women especially women who have had children. Guess one of those wonderful joys of motherhood.

It's a problem with those with high body fat and/or low lean body mass. Just because you have children, doesn't mean you can't have a well defined stomach. But there are some exception, just like in every case.

OP, how tall are you? That will determine which side of the spectrum you are on.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options

It's a problem with those with high body fat and/or low lean body mass. Just because you have children, doesn't mean you can't have a well defined stomach. But there are some exception, just like in every case.

OP, how tall are you? That will determine which side of the spectrum you are on.

Well I'm not severely obese and only need to lose 30lbs and I can't get rid of mine. So yes I attribute mine to pregnancy and c sections.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well I'm not severely obese and only need to lose 30lbs and I can't get rid of mine. So yes I attribute mine to pregnancy and c sections.

If you need to lose 30 lbs, then your body fat % is too high. Genetics will determine where you store the body fat. Those that store it in the mid section will take longer to get there. I can bet though, if you are weight training and you get to a low body fat 16-24% ish body fat, then you will have a flat and probably defined stomach.

Keep in mind, it's about body composition, not weight. There are many cases of underweight women on this board with stomach issues. It's because their lean body mass is too low.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Most of it will go away with a calorie deficit as you lose weight. You might not be able to completely get rid of it though if you have some loose skin in there, unless you go down to a pretty low fat percentage.
  • christinelast
    Options
    I am just 5 foot
  • christinelast
    Options
    It is not lose skin, it is fat. It looks so weird cause everything else is perfect and then you look at it and can easily grab 2 handfuls of giggly fat.
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've come to terms with the fact that no matter how much weight I lose, I will always have the mommy pouch! I had twins and then another baby less than 3 years later! I'm ok with it.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow joey.

Most of it boils down to genetics, I believe.

I work out like a bandit, watch my intake fairly well, but after having three kids, I still have a little one. I call it my baby carriage. I wouldn't trade it for anything because I have three blessings that I think the world of.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting weights. It will change over time.

May even help to look into a heavier lifting program such as Nia Shanks's Beautiful Badass, New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts 5X5 or something.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Well women should have a curve there. But if it's beyond that, maybe you have ibs of some sort? Food sensitivity?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Wait, you are 5 feet tall, 115 lbs, and want to lose 30 pounds? So your goal weight is 85 pounds? Pardon for sounding rude, but....are you out of your mind?

<
    This is me, at 5 feet tall, and 107 pounds. You desperately need to adjust your goals, because at 85 pounds you will be dead, or at least look like you've been dead for several days.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest not trying to lose anymore weight. At this point, I think it would be wise to bulk to build some lean muscle mass, and then cut fat. If that's not an option you want to go with, just keep lifting, eat at maintenance, and your body composition will slowly improve. It just takes time.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Wait, you are 5 feet tall, 115 lbs, and want to lose 30 pounds? So your goal weight is 85 pounds? Pardon for sounding rude, but....are you out of your mind?

<
    This is me, at 5 feet tall, and 107 pounds. You desperately need to adjust your goals, because at 85 pounds you will be dead, or at least look like you've been dead for several days.

The OP doesn't want to lose 30 pounds. That was someone else who made the comment.
  • christinelast
    Options

<
  • christinelast
    Options
    No way! My goal when I first started was 30 pounds! I started off weighing 145