Alcohol v. Food Calories?

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    But I dare say that a person at most will be active aerobically for 1 hr...maybe 2, throughout the day.

So saying you burn more calories during the other 22 hrs of rest is not wrong.....

I will rip Alan Aragon's response to things..
    "Overall diet context matters"
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    The issue with alcohol is that it deters any use of any other energy source until it's metabolized since it can't be stored. One burns the most fat at rest, but if you're inebriated, fat DOESN'T get burned till alcohol is metabolized.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is hands down the biggest load of crap I've ever read on this forum. Are you serious!? You have all these credentials, yet you say people burn the most fat at rest? So you're saying that someone who pushes themselves as hard as they can running or swimming, they burn fewer calories from fat than when thy're sitting on their *kitten*?

Hah.

When at rest, one person may burn about 100 calories in total, per hour. Sure, 80% may be fat, but that's only 80 calories from fat.

When running at the aerobic threshold, one may only be burning about 20% of the calories from fat, but if you're burning 800 calories per hour, that's 160 calories from fat.

You're almost as bad as Dr. Oz.

And also to go w/ the numbers you presented, you are burning more fat at rest.
    Cardio for 1 hour = 160 cal from fat.
    1 hour at rest = 80 cal from fat.
    2 hrs at rest = 160 cal from fat

8 hrs of sleep = 640 cal from fat.....
    So I dare say that not many ppl on here are gonna do 8 hrs of cardio.....or at least 5 hrs of cardio to equal the amt in 8 hrs of rest.

You're comparing 1 hour of cardio to 8 hours of rest...

Are you dumb?
  • MityMax96
    The issue with alcohol is that it deters any use of any other energy source until it's metabolized since it can't be stored. One burns the most fat at rest, but if you're inebriated, fat DOESN'T get burned till alcohol is metabolized.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is hands down the biggest load of crap I've ever read on this forum. Are you serious!? You have all these credentials, yet you say people burn the most fat at rest? So you're saying that someone who pushes themselves as hard as they can running or swimming, they burn fewer calories from fat than when thy're sitting on their *kitten*?

Hah.

When at rest, one person may burn about 100 calories in total, per hour. Sure, 80% may be fat, but that's only 80 calories from fat.

When running at the aerobic threshold, one may only be burning about 20% of the calories from fat, but if you're burning 800 calories per hour, that's 160 calories from fat.

You're almost as bad as Dr. Oz.

And also to go w/ the numbers you presented, you are burning more fat at rest.
    Cardio for 1 hour = 160 cal from fat.
    1 hour at rest = 80 cal from fat.
    2 hrs at rest = 160 cal from fat

8 hrs of sleep = 640 cal from fat.....
    So I dare say that not many ppl on here are gonna do 8 hrs of cardio.....or at least 5 hrs of cardio to equal the amt in 8 hrs of rest.

You're comparing 1 hour of cardio to 8 hours of rest...

Are you dumb?

:noway: :noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Srs dude.....

You know what....enjoy your cardio mate.

And yes I am comparing them...because there are 24 hrs in a day, you are at rest more than active.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member
    You do, however, burn a higher PERCENTAGE of calories from fat while at rest.
    Yes. Like 100%. So the question I pose is "does one REST more and longer than one exercises?" Speaking of course about the general population and not like some elite athlete that does like 4 hours of running, biking, etc.

IDEA Fitness member
  • chivalryder
    Yes. Like 100%. So the question I pose is "does one REST more and longer than one exercises?" Speaking of course about the general population and not like some elite athlete that does like 4 hours of running, biking, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

Ok, I'll admit, one could have read what niner said in more than one way. Please, be more specific next time. I read it as "You burn more calories when resting than compared to when exercising," which is not true. However, I won't argue that you burn more calories from fat throughout the day than during the short period you are exercising.

It can be read either way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member
    Niner said "you burn more while at rest"

He didn't say "You burn more in the 23 hours you are resting during the day than in the 1 hour you're exercising"

What a bunch of morons there are on here today.
    No I said "you burn more FAT at rest" which is correct. And please refrain from name calling. It's not needed. Just debate the point.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MityMax96

IDEA Fitness member

Ok, I'll admit, one could have read what niner said in more than one way. Please, be more specific next time. I read it as "You burn more calories when resting than compared to when exercising," which is not true. However, I won't argue that you burn more calories from fat throughout the day than during the short period you are exercising.

It can be read either way.

tumblr_m43ez8ohHS1qlilguo1_500.gif
  • chivalryder

He didn't say "You burn more in the 23 hours you are resting during the day than in the 1 hour you're exercising"

No I said "you burn more FAT at rest" which is correct. And please refrain from name calling. It's not needed. Just debate the point.

IDEA Fitness member

Depends on how you read it. "You burn more fat at rest" when compared to not at rest,

or "you burn more fat at rest" throughout the day?

See what I mean? Context is missing.

Anyway, I'm dipping. If you don't get my point now, you clearly never will.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

LOl "One burns the most fat at rest" means "you burn more while at rest." I thought the first comment was common knowledge. I guess I was wrong. That why you weight train to burn more calories (FAT) at rest. I weight train just to be strong thought.
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Are alcohol calories and food calories the same when it comes to weight loss since alcohol has no nutritional value?

For example, if you normally have 10 drinks per week at 100 calories a piece- that is an extra 1000 calories. If you didn't have any the next week and you ate the same, would you lose weight? Or would it make any difference?

No. Alcohol also increases the rate at which your body stores fat, and it also slows down your fat burn. So if you are drinking 10 drinks in one week (a separate issue that maybe you should address, and further most are more than 100 calories), you are making it very difficult on your body to lose weight, and the extra 1000 calories isn't helping. Also, if your food intake is within calories, then yes that 1000 calories less from not drinking would probably help you lose weight, but not as much. And since alcohol is a diuretic, you tend to retain water a day or so after as well.

Because of all this, when I drink, I just double the amount of calories in my head and say okay, this 137 calorie beer is really 260, so is drinking 5 worth the effect it will have?? Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. lol
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Are alcohol calories and food calories the same when it comes to weight loss since alcohol has no nutritional value?

For example, if you normally have 10 drinks per week at 100 calories a piece- that is an extra 1000 calories. If you didn't have any the next week and you ate the same, would you lose weight? Or would it make any difference?

No. Alcohol also increases the rate at which your body stores fat, and it also slows down your fat burn. So if you are drinking 10 drinks in one week (a separate issue that maybe you should address, and further most are more than 100 calories), you are making it very difficult on your body to lose weight, and the extra 1000 calories isn't helping. Also, if your food intake is within calories, then yes that 1000 calories less from not drinking would probably help you lose weight, but not as much. And since alcohol is a diuretic, you tend to retain water a day or so after as well.

Because of all this, when I drink, I just double the amount of calories in my head and say okay, this 137 calorie beer is really 260, so is drinking 5 worth the effect it will have?? Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. lol

whatever-gif.gif
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

whatever-gif.gif

10 drinks in one week I think is nothing. 10 drinks in one night I might call that something.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

whatever-gif.gif

10 drinks in one week I think is nothing. 10 drinks in one night I might call that something.

Exactly. That's like a drink a night, with a 3 extra on the weekend. When I drink, I usually have 2-3 drinks. I drink about 3-4 times a week. Hardly an alcoholic.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    But when I'm drinking... I think cardio and dancing are such a good idea. I only think running is a good idea when I'm drinking. I feel like there should be some accounting for the drunken cardio factor in this debate.
  • MityMax96
    But when I'm drinking... I think cardio and dancing are such a good idea. I only think running is a good idea when I'm drinking. I feel like there should be some accounting for the drunken cardio factor in this debate.

giphy.gif

let me know next time you go out, I wanna come
  • christinalong1991

whatever-gif.gif

Exactly. That's like a drink a night, with a 3 extra on the weekend. When I drink, I usually have 2-3 drinks. I drink about 3-4 times a week. Hardly an alcoholic.

Granted, I come from a family of alcoholics so I try to keep my drinking low, specially being in college, its easy for that to spiral out of control in my case. Not to judge or insult anyone else, but for me anything more than once or twice a week for me in particular scares me. Just sayin...
  • christinalong1991

That is definitely true!! I'm more of the cartwheel and handstand type!! Terrifies my friend when I start doing it in driveways, but that has to cancel out some of it! lol