Walking not good exercise

Options

Replies

• Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Walking is fantastic; anything that brings your heart rate up and gets you moving is great. Do what YOU like and makes you comfortable
  • JimLily
    JimLily Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, but I agree that there should be strength training included. Build up your muscles to burn fat quicker and more efficiently!
  • LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Walking is the easiest way to exercise but it takes longer to burn calories since it is low impact. I used to walk 2 hours a day when i didn't have a job, now I find it near impossible to walk 1 hour a day. I lost 40 lbs when i walked 2 hours a day and ate right.

Walking is great and relaxing no matter what pace you are at!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Something is always better than nothing, but depending on your goals another form of exercise might help more. My 60+ year old mother lost weight walking to and from McDonald's every day for breakfast (3 miles total, with one of the lower calorie breakfast options). Her goal was just losing weight. Now I've been trying to con her into lifting because it helps prevent osteoporosis, which she is also worried about.
  • Bayou_ButterFLY
    Bayou_ButterFLY Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Walking really helps organize my thoughts and it is so good to be outside in nature. I go to the park and enjoy the sweet smell of summer flowers and pause by the river to contemplate sometimes.

So, while walking may not be the most vigorous exercise, it is definitely easy on the joints (I have a bad knee I threw out kickboxing years ago) and the benefit of fresh air and clarity in thought is a fantastic bonus.

I also second the advice on adding resistance training to your regimen. Weights build strong bones and lean muscle tone which helps support you in your daily activities and make clothes fit wonderfully. This is important for men and women of all ages, but especially when we get to our late 30s-early 40s.

If you'd like to try elliptical, go for it, but be cautious not to overdo the cardio. If you forgo the weights, you could become the proverbial skinny, fat person (looks great in clothes but little to no muscle tone---mostly soft, flabby skin!). Cardio is great for burning calories but also can burn muscle too.

Good luck to you & keep us posted on your progress!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    walking then slowly transitioning to jogging got me to

29509743.png

so if you enjoy it keep it up and track your calories in as well
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I was told by a friend that my waling 5k a day is not good exercise that I should try an elliptical or some other type of cardio machine. Its not like I go for a stroll I am walking at a 3.8-4.0 pace outside up hills. Am I wrong to think my walking will get me to my goals?

Any exercise is good exercise......you have to do what you like and can stick to. I exclusively walk these days and am fine.
    As to your goals....that is more difficult to say, because you did not mention what your goals are. If it is weight loss, exercise is secondary after eating at a deficit. However for allover health any exercise is good exercise...:o).
    Good Luck to you !
  • stephylynn190
    stephylynn190 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone tell you that walking isn't exercise, especially at the pace you're keeping.

I started walking when I started mfp and lost 13 lbs in the 1st month. Then I hurt my foot and couldn't walk but the Dr. gave me the ok to do the elliptical with my boot. I only lost 2 lbs doing the elliptical because try as I may I could never stay on it more than 10-20 min before I felt dizzy. Now that my foot is better and I'm back to walking I've lost 2 lbs just this week. Walking's is by far my favorite exercise.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of anti-walking stuff all the time, and can't say I agree with it. I think its the perfect low intensity exercise so your body is hopefully burning its fat stores instead of its carb ones :) Also, combined with a little strength training and some sprinting/ high intensity interval training, it would seem like a perfect combination for weight loss.

For what its worth, 1/4 of the weight loss you see in my ticker is from walking and the 3- 4 miles I typically walk every day. Anyway, I would walk whether I was seeking to lose weight or not, as I simply like it too much :)
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    haters gonna hate. :) You are doing something, it is a small step (pun intended) towards something bigger! Maybe in a few months you'll try jogging or "trotting" as I call it.

Some would probably call 911 because what I do is that horrendous looking but I assure them if I'm drooling and slobbering then I should be ok, if there's no moisture, I've likely dried up and died.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Keep up the good work
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with walking -- but it gives you a lower burn than other activities, which is likely what your friend was looking at.

As others have said, it completely depends on your goals. Are you just looking to get more active? Or are you looking to create a bigger deficit through exercise? Are you looking to increase your fitness level significantly? etc

Personally, I do a ton of walking in my every day life, and I still head out for walks in the afternoon/evening because I like to walk through the forest and sing to myself to destress haha.

Depending on your goals though, you could consider trying a walk/jog system to eventually work your way into running, which has a higher calorie burn and helps improve your cardiovascular system more than walking, but not knowing your fitness level, I don't know if that is the right time for you yet.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Walking is not running-lite!

It is it's own activity and has worth in-and-of itself.

People always seem to be labelling it as a kind of poor man's running. Something to do until you're "able" to run. Drives me nuts!
  • flowrgal23
    flowrgal23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters; walking is great exercise, especially if you enjoy it. Walking and weightlifting have been my main form of exercise for the past 2.5 years.

Have you ever tried walking DVD's such as Leslie Sansone, Debra Mazda, or Jessica Smith? Many of them are available on YouTube. Some of the workouts incorporate higher impact, the use of weights, squats, lunges, etc. I find them an invaluable tool when the weather outside is frightful, which in WI, is a good nine months out of the year.

Don't let your friend discourage you, you're on the right path.

What's the best exercise? One you will do consistently.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to burn calories by staying active without too much exertion, walking is great. A brisk walk, like you do, will slowly improve cardiovascular fitness, up to a point. If you want to improve beyond that, you'll need to add some higher intensity exercise. That could be race walking, which is lower impact than running. Or it could be something else. It doesn't need to involve a machine, though. These days I get my intense cardio from cycling and running, though I have done swimming and indoor rowing in the past.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Your friend is wrong. Walking helped me to lose my first 35 lbs.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Many people here, myself included, will tell you that walking is a great exercise, and that it can help you to lose weight. You may burn more calories on an elliptical, but there is nothing wrong with walking.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Walking 3.8 to 4 mph on hills is a good exercise. It's not like your doing a slow stroll on a flat ground surface ( but even that is still good ).

Anyway, if you like walking then keep on doing it! Nothing wrong with the elliptical either, but you should do the exercises you want to do!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Your friend is dead wrong. I lift 3 times a week and the rest of my exercise is walking. I used to use machines for cardio and all I got from that was repetitive movement injuries.
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Look at the pics in my profile. 98% of my exercise is walking...think they might change their mind?
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with walking.