This is SO hard! Need some help with meals pls!

Options
124»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just keep feeding them the same thing over and over- and when they get bored they have to come up with a solution to cook.

saves you the hassle of doing research- and it makes cooking easy and consistent.

Nothing wrong with plain white rice- I find brown rice to be icky and gross- so I can't blame them- I hate the texture. But if they do instant- they can do white- just keep feeing it to them- and if you have to mix it half and half

They'll switch over eventually.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    A favorite gluten free side for my family is Mel's Kitchen Cafe's recipe for golden skillet potatoes - it's super simple - Yukon gold potatoes, olive oil, a little garlic. Tastes like delicious roasted potatoes but cooks much faster.
    http://www.melskitchencafe.com/golden-skillet-potatoes-and-lets-talk-food-allergies-for-a-second/

Another tasty one is green bean fries (roasted green beans) (http://dashingdish.com/recipe/crispy-baked-parmesan-green-bean-fries/ is one recipe, but it's really a method).

Two main dishes we love, though not totally clean (but full of veggies) are Thai Chicken with Peanut Noodles (you could easily sub the spaghetti noodle for rice or quinoa pasta or even spaghetti squash or zucchini ribbons - http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/skinny-thai-chicken-and-peanut-noodles/

and Rachel Ray's Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/barbecued-chinese-chicken-lettuce-wraps-recipe.html

Have you tried cauliflower rice? My coworker swears by it!

ty ty! that all sounds so good.

cauliflower rice? I'm learning so much! we LOVE cauliflower here. if it still has that taste it could really work as a great subsitute!
  • majigurl
    Options
    Protein - carb and veggie - all measured.

The grill is great for everything.

Brown rice, couscous, and corn are all decent carbs.

Here's some of our regular meals:

Meatballs and sauce with spaghetti squash
    London Broil and mashed cauliflower with parm and butter
    Blackened Salmon with couscous and green beans
    Fake Korean Bulgolgi ( made with lean ground beef) wrapped in lettuce and brown rice
    Taco lettuce wraps

You can eat anything as long as you're eating at a deficit. :)

taco lettuce wraps is prob. my new fav meal! :)
    everything above I am going to look up and try! ty ty!
  • jmy1975
    jmy1975 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite dinners is stuffed pork chops. I get them butterflied at the store. I grill up some apples and mix in goat or gorgonzola cheese (both are a bit strong, but the flavor is great). Then stuff the mixture in the chop and close with a toothpick. Bake them in the oven according to directions to cook any porkchop (350 I think, but don't have the recipe in front of me). I also like to make chicken breasts covered with pesto and mozarella cheese (again bake in the oven). I used to hate brussel sprouts till I tried roasting them. I brush some olive oil on them, and sprinkle with salt and pepper and then put them in the oven at 350 for about 20-30 minutes (the outside leaves will look crisp). They are much better than I had growing up. Good luck, it seems there is lots to choose from here.
  • majigurl
    Options
    I saw Rachel Ray use a vegetable peeler to make zucchini ribbons as a pasta substitute. I, also, love eggplant parm. I lightly salt mine and let set to pull out bitterness. But I roast mine in the oven.

Roasted veggies are my favorite: yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, even radishes. I season with Mrs. Dash to limit sodium.

What about dry beans? Those are a good option if your family likes them. One of my favorites is a taco salad. I use the lettuce, tomatoes, shredded chicken, beans, cheese, salsa. I normally don't eat chips. That's just my preference.

Also, zucchini, eggplant and spinach makes a great veggie lasagna. I substitute the zucchini for noodles and make a fresh marinara sauce.

Just a few ideas.

we have added beans and found we love it.
    i've heard of mrs dash, I see it in stores but never think of using it. MIght pick some up.

ty!
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I like making home made burgers, can make them much more healthy than store or take out ones. I usually select what minced meat i want and then i like to add in some veg of my choosing to add goodness, flavoures and make meat go further.

500g mince meat of choice
    1 large whole egg
    1 table spoon coconut or olive oil
    1 ground up stock cube
    pinch of herbs
    any spices, salt pepper etc
    half a finly chopped onion
    garlic or garlic paste to taste
    half a finely chopped bell pepper
    1 large grated carrot or potatoe or courgette

all goes in a bowl mix together and form in to burgers 6 large or more if smaller or little meat balls. Leave in fridge for an hour (meant to make them bind but sometimes i skip that bit) Cook in a hot pan using coconut oil 4 min then turn over and again another 4 min. Less or more time depending on size of burgers or meat balls. Freeze any not needed to have another day.

If not binding well I add another egg, when binding ingredients in bowl sometimes i add grated veg last a bit at a time to juge how much i can cram in without it becoming to loose a mix.

I make these a lot and vary what veg and seasoning i add to give different flavours. I usually eat them plain with some veg and salad and dont bother with buns but could put in healthy bun if wanted. They have been a hit with everyone who has come to dinner and been served one. Sometimes i double up mixture and make big batches to freeze.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

I haven't tried tilapia yet . looking for a recipe that suits our family. I found lots that was breaded :/

I really like tilapia tacos. Season with cumin, chili, salt, pepper, and lime zest. Bake, then add a squeeze of fresh lime juice while they are still hot. Serve on corn tortillas (I think you can get these GF) or make a taco salad. My go to for taco salads is shredded red cabbage, shredded carrot, cilantro, lime juice, a touch of agave and a touch of oil. So yummy. Goes great with tilapia, fish, black beans, etc. You can add beans for an extra protein kick, or not.

K. seriously.. do you have more recipes like that? that sounds amazing! all of it! lol I have to look for gf tortillas. I cant' find them here yet. but I love tacos with a lettuce wrap also!

cook book in your future?

You are funny! A lot of my ideas come from things I've had at restaurants that I try to adapt at home.My local paper also has a quick and easy recipe in the weekly food section - that is where I got the idea for cooking tilapia with lime zest. The salad part was inspired by a "deconstructed taco salad" that I had at a restaurant once that blew me away.

The truth is that, like you, I really like to cook and eat. I get bored easily with food, so I'm always looking for new ideas. Over time, I've found recipes I like, while at the same time I've tried and ditched ones I didn't like. Cooking and eating healthy is a learning process.

You could also check if your local library has a section for cookbooks. Mine does, so I almost never buy cookbooks anymore unless I'm really impressed by one. Instead, I check out cookbooks (either hard copy or e-book) and go online to some websites I like. For example, I absolutely love the website www.ohsheglows.com - full of vegetarian and clean recipes, no processed foods.

I know you said there aren't many foods that your family doesn't like. How about cuisines? Any favorites? That might help in suggesting meals to try.
  • jstewa40
    jstewa40 Posts: 27
    Options
    I saw Rachel Ray use a vegetable peeler to make zucchini ribbons as a pasta substitute. I, also, love eggplant parm. I lightly salt mine and let set to pull out bitterness. But I roast mine in the oven.

Roasted veggies are my favorite: yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, even radishes. I season with Mrs. Dash to limit sodium.

What about dry beans? Those are a good option if your family likes them. One of my favorites is a taco salad. I use the lettuce, tomatoes, shredded chicken, beans, cheese, salsa. I normally don't eat chips. That's just my preference.

Also, zucchini, eggplant and spinach makes a great veggie lasagna. I substitute the zucchini for noodles and make a fresh marinara sauce.

Just a few ideas.

we have added beans and found we love it.
    i've heard of mrs dash, I see it in stores but never think of using it. MIght pick some up.

ty!

Mrs. Dash seasonings are REALLY good! I have been using them for years! And they contain no salt. I use the Fiesta Lime seasoning blend on the top and bottoms of my broiled tilapia fish. One of the other one’s (I cannot think of which one it is right now) is really good on green beans. I would just buy them all and experiment with what you like on what. Also, I don’t like steamed veggies at all. I prefer mine broiled or boiled. I know they say that boiling takes the nutrients/vitamins out, but they are still healthy and low in calorie. I say steaming them takes all the flavor out… LOL! Just my opinion/taste. Broiling veggies with a lil olive oil brushed on is really good, but then, of course you have the added fat and calories from the oil. But they are VERY good that way. :)
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Here's what we do...

Breakfast:
    - Ground turkey breakfast sausage (any recipe online will do) mixed with eggs and bell peppers in a skillet
    - Paleo Banana Pancakes (http://www.notsodesperatehousewife.com/2012/04/08/banana-pancakes-plus-a-few-paleo-pancake-pointers/) with organic maple agave syrup
    - Fruit
    - Nature's Path Organic Cereal (naturally gluten free varieties) with almond milk, for quick/easy days

Lunch:
    - Baked chicken breast, which I usually prepare in bulk on the weekends
    - Mini tuna sandwiches on cucumber slices instead of bread. Can top with bell pepper, etc.
    - Raw veggies with some ranch dip (carrots, sugar snap peas, cucumber, mini sweet peppers, broccoli, cauliflower to name a few choices)
    - Deli sliced turkey (nitrate & msg free) rolled up over slices of bell pepper or other veg
    - Amy's organic soups for quick/easy days

Dinner:
    - Spaghetti squash with ground turkey meat sauce
    - Baked chicken breast with veggies
    - Baked tilapia with veggies
    - Chili with ground turkey, peppers, onions, diced tomatos & green chiles, pinto & black beans
    - Amy's organic enchilada or tamale meals for quick/easy days

And yes, we're always looking for and trying new recipes to add more variety :) that's part of the fun!

Oh, and I apologize if any of my suggestions are not entirely gluten-free, as I am not 100%.
  • majigurl
    Options
    Here's what we do...

Breakfast:
    - Ground turkey breakfast sausage (any recipe online will do) mixed with eggs and bell peppers in a skillet
    - Paleo Banana Pancakes (http://www.notsodesperatehousewife.com/2012/04/08/banana-pancakes-plus-a-few-paleo-pancake-pointers/) with organic maple agave syrup
    - Fruit
    - Nature's Path Organic Cereal (naturally gluten free varieties) with almond milk, for quick/easy days

Lunch:
    - Baked chicken breast, which I usually prepare in bulk on the weekends
    - Mini tuna sandwiches on cucumber slices instead of bread. Can top with bell pepper, etc.
    - Raw veggies with some ranch dip (carrots, sugar snap peas, cucumber, mini sweet peppers, broccoli, cauliflower to name a few choices)
    - Deli sliced turkey (nitrate & msg free) rolled up over slices of bell pepper or other veg
    - Amy's organic soups for quick/easy days

Dinner:
    - Spaghetti squash with ground turkey meat sauce
    - Baked chicken breast with veggies
    - Baked tilapia with veggies
    - Chili with ground turkey, peppers, onions, diced tomatos & green chiles, pinto & black beans
    - Amy's organic enchilada or tamale meals for quick/easy days

And yes, we're always looking for and trying new recipes to add more variety :) that's part of the fun!

Oh, and I apologize if any of my suggestions are not entirely gluten-free, as I am not 100%.

I love getting to see what others eat! Not just cook books and online stuff. most of that you never feel like anyone has actually "tried" it. It is nice to see the "real" foods people are eating!

Ty so much! you have given me so much info with this! i can pull A LOT from this!
  • NoMoreYoYos
    NoMoreYoYos Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Again, try the skinnytaste website. Many kid-friendly recipes. Also, as another poster said, try roasting the vegetables. My husband would never eat any cooked vegetables, but now that we roast vs. microwave our vegetables, he will eat them. We roast broccoli, cauliflower, and butternut squash.
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The Kraft websites are great, and my go to place when I'm stuck, you can even type in a couple ingredients that you have (or would like to cook with) and it will pop up a quick, easy, budget friendly recipe.

http://www.kraftcanada.com/healthy-living
    or
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/home.aspx

Sometimes they even have coupons you can print out.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Since you like to see what people are actually eating, here are some of my typical meals:

Breakfast:

-1/2 cup 0% Fage, 1/2 tsp honey, chopped fruit (I like peaches, berries, and pineapple best)
    -2-3 scrambled egg whites (plus sometimes a whole egg), scrambled with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, in a low carb whole wheat tortilla, topped with salsa
    -1 whole egg, sunny side up, on dry wheat toast (my favorite is Alpine Valley 9-grain, if you can find it, it is amazing!)
    -Overnight oats: 1/4 cup oats soaked in 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 small peach, a tiny drizzle of maple syrup - if I have an early AM workout, I blend this into a smoothie so I can drink it quickly.
    -DIY meusli (dry hot cereal mixed with variety of nuts, seeds, and dried fruits), topped with almond milk

Snack:

-roasted chickpeas
    -handful roasted unsalted almonds
    -homemade protein balls (I like the recipes from Chocolate Covered Katie, plus 1-2 scoops protein powder)
    -green smoothie
    -1/4 cup edamame with sea salt
    -2 hard boiled eggs (sometimes I replace the yolk with hummus, really yummy)
    -2 tbs hummus with 1 cup raw veggies

Post-workout smoothie:

-1 scoop vegan protein powder, 2 tablespoons peanut butter powder, 1 cup almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder

Lunch:

-whatever is left over from dinner!
    -Big green salad with chick peas or cottage cheese, homemade lemon vinaigrette
    -Mock tuna salad (whole foods has a good recipe), on whole grain bread or with a salad/raw veggies for dipping
    -Amy's frozen burritos - one of the few frozen foods I buy, because I love them
    -Veggie burgers - homemade or store bought, on a skinny bun
    -Brown rice vegetable sushi in a mason jar - one of my new favorite things, so good!

Dinner:
    -Quinoa stuffed bell peppers or southwest quinoa salad - mix with sauteed peppers and onions, black beans, cilantro, and lime juice. If doing stuffed peppers, add a little cheese to the top.
    -Whole grain pasta tossed with marinara or lemon caper sauce, with steamed kale, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, etc.
    -Stir fried or baked marinated tofu with stir fried veggies and brown rice or whole grain pasta
    -Chick peas and carrots in tikka masala sauce with naan
    -Tasty Bite Madras Lentils with naan
    -black bean tacos
    -black beans, brown rice, salad (either mixed greens or the taco salad I mentioned earlier)
    -frittata or omelette with veggies and cheese, green salad on the side
    -whole wheat pita, hummus, mixed veggies
    -Cheese pizza (guilty pleasure)

Our friends make this dish that I absolutely love, and request anytime they invite us over for an impromptu get together. Marinate thin cut pork chops in fresh lime juice and garlic salt for about 30 minutes. Grill, along with corn tortillas. Slice thin and combine with homemade green salsa that is addictive (no clue what's in it, but he should bottle and sell it). I usually try to bring a salad or some roasted veggies to have on the side. While we wait, I typically indulge in 1-2 margaritas made with Trader Joe's margarita mix - if I'm lucky, I worked out that day so I have extra calories to work with. It's a treat, but one that won't set me back.

Good luck finding some things that work for you and your family.