Very little weight loss: Looking for non-traditional advice

Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

* My thyroid is a bit low and two months ago I began taking a supplement from the doctor.
    * My glucose is a bit high so for the past two months I have been lowering my carb and sugar intake.

OP, The doc who prescribed you the dosage for Thyroid was he/she an Endocrinologist?

If not, I would start from there. If you have been detected with hypo thyroid and if the strength of your meds are off by even .20 mcg you will see elevation in BG and pretty much failure in weight loss.

Seek an Endocrinologist appointment.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Chia Seeds, Rasberry Keytones and coffee enemas......You are welcome.
  • LeonXC
    LeonXC Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm on the Cabana Banana Diet. I haven't lost any weight. But boy can I climb trees now.
  • jroncoble
    jroncoble Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It takes two hours of cardio per day for me to lose two pounds per week. If I do one hour, I hold my own - but- do not lose weight.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    My two cents: Buy a copy of "Eat To Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Read the entire book. Decide to follow his 6-week plan. Enjoy the results.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Work out harder and longer, create more of a deficit, makes up for the lack of calorie counting.
  • mcatlin10
    mcatlin10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    a few simple examples -

high fructose corn syrup does not stimulate the release of Leptin, the hormone that tells us we are full, the same way cane sugar does, because cane sugar tends to produce more insulin which is tied to Leptin production and also suppresses Ghrelin in the stomach.

Studies show that vinegar can decrease the insulin response of a meal by 20% and increase insulin sensitivity by 34%

Anthocyanins (found in berries) act on the genes that determine whether you burn fat or store it (turning on an enzyme called AMP kinase)

So yes - different foods affect different hormones which impact metabolism and weight loss. This is still pretty new research and while it is all peer-reviewed, it's not that well known. I'm not saying calories don't matter and that creating a deficit doesn't matter, I'm saying that's not the whole story and I think we're going to see the fields of nutrition, weight loss and exercise change over the next 20 years as we better understand these mechanisms at the biochemical level.

And when people are asking for help, I do think it's rude to say things like "start using meth". That's not helpful, and if the only answer people have is weigh your food and count calories, great, but then why comment at all after the first 20 times people have said it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try a different approach. You say that you do not find yourself counting calories for the rest of your life. To be honest, I don't think anyone started on MFP thinking that they would do this forever. I counted calories until I got to maintenance phase, and quickly learned that I would have to count calories forever or I would gain weight. You might be one of those people, or you might find that you can maintain quite easily without counting. Seems like you're doing a good job maintaining already.

It is tedious at first, but once you build your "frequently eaten" list, you'll find that logging your food is quite simple and quick. I can do it pretty quickly after dinner before the baby starts screaming at me for attention. :happy:
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Counting calories will be more accurate, but here are some other methods:

- buy smaller plates (8 or 10 inches)
    - fill your plate with 1/2 veggies, 1/4 protein and 1/4 healthy starch (starchy veg or whole grain)
    - eat a big bowl of veggie soup (150 calories or less) before lunch and dinner (I have been doing this for the past few weeks and have cut down on portions while still feeling very full). Also a good way to get in more veggies.
    - Don't eat unless and until you are hungry
    - plate 20% less than you usually eat and don't go back for seconds
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    In the past I measured food and calories. It is not something I can sustain for every meal for the rest of my life. So no, I do not currently count calories. However I do eat reasonable portions and periodically I will go back and count for a week at a time to make sure my portions are OK.

You won't lose weight unless you consistently eat at a deficit to your TDEE. It sounds like the portions you are consuming now (without counting calories) are not as reasonable as you think.

Some people can eat reasonable amounts without counting, many cannot. It seems that you should probably admit you are in the later group and start accurately logging all of your intake. Good luck!

Aside from counting calories (and lowering intake) the only other idea I can offer is to exercise more while continuing to consume the same amount. I have tons of MFP friends who eat a LOT while maintaining a healthy weight year round. They can do this because many of them exercise everyday (or very close to it). I see you are a runner (who has raced up to 10k). Perhaps training for a half marathon (as you are planning) then a marathon (in addition to CrossFit, rowing and cycling) will help you increase your calorie burn.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wow, people are kind of rude.
    If you want to try something different, you might check out the. . .[snipped].

I didn't notice anyone being rude in this thread, but I did see one person being kind of commercially spammy.
  • jasonctyler
    Options
    Gotta agree with everyone here, for a vast majority of the population looking to lose weight but being unable to do so no matter what healthier choices they've seemingly made, there is no substitute for accurate measurement and logging of caloric intake.

It'd be easier and cheaper to invest in a basic digital food scale ($10 usd), an accurate tablespoon, and liquid measuring cups... and then actually use them to accurately log your intake... then to try some fad diet that would probably end up doing more harm to your health and metabolism than good, or at the very least end up costing more to follow...
  • AdobeTree
    AdobeTree Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am totally overwhelmed and hurt.

I was not expecting so many responses and I was definitely expecting more thoughtful, serious ones that indicate the writer read the entire original post.

I'm totally fine if a lot of people advise me to count calories but I would appreciate it without the rudeness and assumptions.

To address some of the things suggested:
    I have counted calories and have not found it helpful in weight loss. (That's why I don't bother with it now... and it's yes, it's not logistically possible.)

I have created a calorie deficit as evidenced by previous calorie counting and a drastic increase in activity (including strength training and cardio) and decrease in calories.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

I was not expecting so many responses and I was definitely expecting more thoughtful, serious ones that indicate the writer read the entire original post.

I'm totally fine if a lot of people advise me to count calories but I would appreciate it without the rudeness and assumptions.

To be fair, you came on to a calorie counting website, you said that calorie counting doesn't work, and that you don't do it, and then asked for input.

You might have anticipated how people would react.

Nonetheless, take what you like, ignore the rest, and press on.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

I just read the whole thread and it looks like you got some great advice and a few funny joke responses. Who hurt you? I think I must have missed something.

I'm not sure what kind of "non-traditional" advice you're looking for. That could be anything from "Don't Eat Anything White" to Wiccan weight loss spells. Could you maybe be more specific about what kind of advice you're looking for? :smile:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I am feeling very stuck and would like some non-traditional advice or ideas. I made a lifestyle change about 2 years ago going from very sedentary to a very active. I am in the best shape of my life: fit, strong, and feeling good. :happy: Unfortunately I am also overweight and have lost very little fat. :grumble:

Considerations:
    * My thyroid is a bit low and two months ago I began taking a supplement from the doctor.
    * My glucose is a bit high so for the past two months I have been lowering my carb and sugar intake.
    * The food I eat is 90% whole, unprocessed, and clean. (I don't count calories or measure food because it simply isn't realistic for me. From time to do I do it short -term as a way to re-orient myself to correct portions.)
    * I do CrossFit and rowing/running/biking 3-5 times per week
    * I make a rocking very low sugar low carb chocolate raspberry ice cream :glasses:

Here is the traditional (and usually correct advice):
    Eat less, move more. -done
    Measure your food. - done
    Count calories. - done
    Count macro nutrients. - done

Eat Clean. - 90% done
    Do cardio and resistance training at least 3 times per week. - done

Any other ideas?
    So you don't want advice that works. Hmm Interesting concept.

If though you want something that works do the things I've bolded but accurately. Sorry to go all traditional on you
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

You asked for feedback, and you got very honest and straightforward feedback.

I think the level of hurt you're experiencing is directly correlated to the amount of responses advising you of something you knew already but did not want to hear.

Despite all of the good things you *are* doing, the one thing you *are not* doing is eating at a deficit which would lead to weight loss.

It's a simple fix OP, despite it being what you don't want to hear.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

just a word of friendly advice... don't start another thread about how mean people are or how we are not supportive.
    Those never end well.
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Nearly the same problem but not as fit as you.....tried everything, nothing worked for 6 months. I read about "resetting your metabolism" and found a book "Fast Metabolism Diet" and buttaching.....it is working. Seems that putting your body through the same old rigamoroar day in and day out can screw your metabolism up, especially if you are not putting enough fuel in your body and with all that you are doing....seems you would need a lot of fuel. Anyway, putting this 28 day metabolism reset into action seems to be the answer for me....could be for you!
  • AdobeTree
    AdobeTree Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    just a word of friendly advice... don't start another thread about how mean people are or how we are not supportive.
    Those never end well.

No worries.. I'm not like that...