What Condiments Should I Use? I Use Ketchup On Everything!

Options
Hello!

I had a delicious breakfast today- chicken strips and lettuce wrapped in a tortilla- plain, no dressing.

I know some people like putting salad dressing on different foods. Is there one that is very yummy on most foods? Usually I just put ketchup on everything from sandwiches to whatever because I don't know what else to put on!

So please, can you give me some ideas on which dressings/condiments to use for what? (I would appreciate your favourite bbq sauce as well) thanks.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    mustard.

Want to use it for barbecue? Add honey and vinegar.

Seriously, mustard. Ketchup is for the kids.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Regular yellow mustard. Ketchup has a lot of sugar in it, yellow mustard doesn't.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Tapatillo Hot Sauce or Chulula Hot Sauce
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup. I seriously can't even tell the difference between that and regular ketchup.

Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauces are yummy too. Or Stubbs.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of mustard because it's very, very low in calories.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Regular yellow mustard. Ketchup has a lot of sugar in it, yellow mustard doesn't.

This. Now that I've cut back on sweet things ketchup just tastes sweet to me. I like yellow mustard, but also deli brown, dijon and horseradish mustards.

ETA: For bbq sauce I buy Dreamland's from the restaurant in town. It's vinegar based, not sticky/sweet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not wild about yellow mustard, but I love all the spicy brown mustards of various types. Also sriacha, and play around with vinegars. And Fage 0% is great as a substitute for sour cream. But most things don't actually need any condiments.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I hope you are putting it on your mashed potatoes. Potatoes, some butter/marge, and ketchup. I've been told by those who have not tried this that it is disgusting. But then again, most of them were Americans and they think that THIS is gross:

tumblr_lvngw3i7p51qeq894o1_500.png

Silly Americans.

Anyways. I love mustard on meats and salmon, or honey mustard. I also LOVE ranch dressing with french fries. I don't really do many other condiments and don't do a lot of salad dressings though.
  • ana3067
    Options
    mustard.

Want to use it for barbecue? Add honey and vinegar.

Seriously, mustard. Ketchup is for the kids.

That sounds really good, do you think it'd work as a nice glaze for pork tenderloin? PLanning on pork for dinner tonight! And I love mixing honey and yellow mustard.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I second the Heinz low sugar ketchup- it's awesome!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I use Simply Heinz ketchup, it doesn't have any high fructose corn syrup in it.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This is such an open-ended question - do you want condiments for sandwiches, salads, stir fries?

I like ketchup mixed with a little sriracha, gives it a nice smokey kick. My husband loves spicy, so he adds way more sriracha than I do.

I love whole grain mustard or dijon mustard.

Substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream, cream cheese, ranch, etc. Can be eaten plain or mixed with citrus, spices, etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Dijonnaise is good on a lot of things....chicken for one.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I like Pesto but why add sauces to your food? It's just extra fat, sugar and calories.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Homemade salsa goes well with lots of things, too. Ketchup and bbq sauce have way too much sugar and sodium added. Read labels on everything! That's why I make my salsa myself. I know what's in it and I can adjust it to taste.
  • tralala99
    tralala99 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Salsa, sriracha, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice. Or use more spices!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    I hope you are putting it on your mashed potatoes. Potatoes, some butter/marge, and ketchup. I've been told by those who have not tried this that it is disgusting. But then again, most of them were Americans and they think that THIS is gross:

Silly Americans.

Anyways. I love mustard on meats and salmon, or honey mustard. I also LOVE ranch dressing with french fries. I don't really do many other condiments and don't do a lot of salad dressings though.

Love me some POUTINE!!!!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The replies here make me sad. You can eat literally anything that fits your calorie goal. Weigh/measure out a portion. The sodium in 1 tablespoon of soy sauce is not going to do anything to you.

I have been really into sriracha mayo lately. You can make it yourself or buy some. It is 90 calories for 15 grams, so I usually weigh out half a serving. Soy sauce, regular sriracha, all types of mustards, salsas, and relish. Worcestershire. Balsamic. Ranch dressing. All these and more could be yours. Sweet baby rays. Stubbs. BBQ SAUCE - all of them. Kraft sandwich shop chipotle mayo. Anything you want, just measure it.

Edit: I forgot. Texas pete. Tabasco habanero. I need these in my life.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options

Silly Americans.

That picture is making me drooooool. You must be Canadian eh?
  • ana3067
    Options

Silly Americans.

That picture is making me drooooool. You must be Canadian eh?

Hell YEAH. Every day should be National Poutine Day.