Fish for people that hate fish?

2»

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    My first suggestion would be to not eat it if you don't like it lol. But if you really want it for whatever reason go for swordfish or shark steaks if you can find them. When I was a kid and hated fish those were the only two I enjoyed.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Definitely try the meaty fishes, tuna swordfish and marlin. Tuna steak can even be eaten as a burger
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I pretty much stick to eating things that I like and enjoy. Fish is great in that it is a nice, lean source of protein...but there are numerous other alternatives. You might want to supplement omega 3 though.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    If you're eating fish only for the Omega 3 Fatty acids, then take fish oil capsules for that. Go for the krill or sardine oil as it is low in mercury and be sure to get the Omega 3 and not the Omega 3 & 6 mixed form. The "burpless" ones just have a thicker glycerin shell. Keeping the regular ones in the freezer and taking them while frozen works as well or better than paying extra for the "burpless" kind.

I'm not suggesting that a pill or supplement is equal to the real food, but if eating oily fish is impracticable, costly, or just not something you will do, then fish oil supplements are the best alternative. Most of us eating the best of diets including oily fish once or twice a week can still be way over on our optimum Omega 6/3 ratio, so taking them as a supplement is good for that alone.

Eating fish low in oil as some people are suggesting may solve the eating fish issue, but the whole point of including fish in your diet for health reasons is for the fat. Eating bland fish very low in fat really defeats that purpose.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    I also hate fish.. the only fish or seafood I can stomach is canned tuna and Flathead Catfish... I hate the texture also.

Try the Flathead Catfish.. its a meatier fish and they feed on other fish/seafood, they are not bottom feeders like most fish that you are mentioning that you do not like. I think most fish/seafood taste like dirt. YUCK.
  • Seared Ahi tuna or Halibut are the only two fish I can handle.
  • brucegaertner
    brucegaertner Posts: 1 Member
    Whether the fish is fresh makes all the difference in the world as far as "fishy flavor" goes. Unfortunately, the fresher the fish the more expensive. We buy flash frozen cod loins at Sam's. There about $12 for 8 portions, only 120 calories each and 20 grams of protein. We poach them frozen in white wine until they flake. Very hard to over or under cook, and they taste pretty close to fresh.