VERY FRUSTRATED at my new gym!

Options
I went for my regular run on Friday last week & found my gym doors padlocked shut & a "no trespassing" sign... they went under. :ohwell: A new LA Fitness opened closer to my house & I ended up signing on, because it's really only about $8/mth more than what I *was* spending, & it has a sauna, hot tub, & pool. :bigsmile:

I had my appointment with a "Fitness Coach" for an "Assessment" today. The last time I had one of these "assessments", my measurements were taken, I was weighed, the trainer calculated my body fat percentage, lean-to-fat ratio... & called me fat, told me I would likely *never* have slim legs like I want, I need a trainer because a, b, c, d, e..... z reasons....

Today, I expected the same thing; we'd talk about my "goals". I'd get new measurements, know exactly my re-starting point.... Nope. Not so much. I basically got told that I absolutely can't lose weight on my own without a trainer. "Cardio is WRONG you can't lose weight with cardio unless you STARVE yourself & throw up every meal". :angry:

:explode: Really? Never had a trainer before... & pre-car-accident/pre-breakup-with-my-ex I was 143lbs. In 2012. After LOSING 45lbs. Now, I'm back up to 168. Pretty sure, if left to my own devices, I can find 143 AGAIN. Did it once. Was never expecting to have to do it again, but life happens.

I know weight training is good for me. I know it'll help things go faster, I'll tone up, I'll have more energy... but I HATE IT. I would rather sit in a bathtub full of LEECHES than lift heavy objects. :noway: JUST. To. Put. Them. Back. DOWN. :grumble:

Anyone else get high-pressure tactics at their gym? :mad:

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Nope, I just do my running, it keeps my weight down and my fat % good.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well you did go to the people who are supposed to sign you up for training. That is what the Assessment is at LA Fitness. So as long as you don't go over to those people in charge of signing up people for trainers again they probably won't ask you to sign up for anything. Let it go and move on with your day.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Smile, nod, move along. They're just preying on people's vulnerability to try and shame them into coughing up more money.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Smile, nod, move along. They're just preying on people's vulnerability to try and shame them into coughing up more money.

Yes. This.

Long ago, in a place far far away called high school - I remember weight training and I remember it was just... not entertaining.

I like my barre classes with their 2 and 3 lb weights and all the lunges, and squats and whatnot. It's not MUCH resistance training, but as I had little baby muscles before - I'm noticing a difference. I am getting stronger. I'm sure you can find other classes that are way more fun to strengthen up and if you want to go hard core eventually... the weights will be there.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty awful.

I am in the UK and at my gym you have an induction to show you how to use the equipment and they set you up with an initial programme depending on your goals. They will re assess it regularly. But otherwise they leave you alone unless you ask for help, there is always someone there if you need them and they are happy to advise you at any time. If you want a personal trainer you can pay for one. But there is no pressure and they don't try to sell anything. You have paid your membership so you have access to all equipment, classes, the pool, Jacuzzi and steam room.

Mind you it is a public leisure centre not a private gym so it might be different. :ohwell:
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I'm sure despite my weight loss and muscle gain, if I went to the place at my gym where they hook you up with a trainer, they'd tell me that I can't achieve my goals without a trainer either. It's just business. Would a car dealer tell you that you could probably make due just buying a bus pass? Would a vacuum salesmen agree that all you really need is a broom...
  • Aussie_in_PA
    Aussie_in_PA Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This ^^
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm sure despite my weight loss and muscle gain, if I went to the place at my gym where they hook you up with a trainer, they'd tell me that I can't achieve my goals without a trainer either. It's just business. Would a car dealer tell you that you could probably make due just buying a bus pass? Would a vacuum salesmen agree that all you really need is a broom...

Yes. Actually. A good one would.
    Matter of fact, we generally expert professionals to put their profession's integrity first -- and to assume that that will serve them better financially in the future.

Do not listen to that and do not take grief from those trainers.
    If you don't like lifting weights, don't do it. Find another physical activity you do like.
    BTW, cardio burns many, many more calories than any weight lifting does. They used to try to claim that lifting weights ramped up your metabolism in a way cardio does not, and therefore it is better at burning calories. It turns out, the increase in metabolism amounts to about 100 extra calories a day -- essentially insignificant.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Yes. Actually. A good one would.
    Matter of fact, we generally expert professionals to put their profession's integrity first -- and to assume that that will serve them better financially in the future.

Do not listen to that and do not take grief from those trainers.
    If you don't like lifting weights, don't do it. Find another physical activity you do like.
    BTW, cardio burns many, many more calories than any weight lifting does. They used to try to claim that lifting weights ramped up your metabolism in a way cardio does not, and therefore it is better at burning calories. It turns out, the increase in metabolism amounts to about 100 extra calories a day -- essentially insignificant.

But it is extremely helpful at lowering BF% due to the properties involved in maintaining muscle mass while eating at a deficit. That is why a good mix of both is advised.

I'm guessing from your post, you're more looking for a cardio vs lifting thread, so I'll just back out.....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's a gym- tell them you don't want training thanks for their time and walk away.

You pay to use the facilities. Period.

If the sales/ trainers are being to push- complain to the operations manager.

not so hard.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i signed up with planet fitness specifically because i didn't want to have to deal with trainers or anyone else trying to get me to do stuff i'm not interested in doing. they leave you alone to do your thing, unless you need something.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    I do feel a little compelled to say that maybe a mix-up in routine could help quite a bit, and that building up some muscle mass would help you burn calories and drop weight in the long term... but I totally recognize that you CAN get to your goal weight by doing cardio. It's not impossible, it just might be harder. However, I'm mostly going to leave that alone and complain about pressure tactics in gyms.

I remember that 2 "free personal training sessions" were presented as basically a signing bonus at the last gym I belonged to (and ultimately cancelled). I scheduled the first one, really looked forward to it, learned some new moves... and then was taken to a small windowless room where they pressured me about how I would have to pay them $1600+ to do 2x/week training for a short period of time to get myself ready for my first 10k. You know, if I wanted any hope at all of completing it. And that would be "the bare minimum", and that they'd really prefer to see me 3 or 4 times a week to help me train... for a greater cost, of course. Never mind the fact that I was already following the training schedule distributed by the people who run my race... and that I was doing just fine. How the hell was I supposed to fit in 3 intense resistance training sessions with the 3-4 runs I was already doing every week? Talk about fatigue; where are the rest days there?

I wish I would have stood my ground more. I just let them pressure me and then squeaked out an "I'm sorry, I'll think about it but I'm just not ready..." on my way out. I never did take them up on that second one, though the first was admittedly a great workout. Instead I spent $17 on Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, cancelled my gym membership, kicked *kitten* at my first 10k, and got into the greatest shape of my life.
  • marc_santos83
    Options
    The truth is that most trainers at commercial gyms aren't really that good. I have been in A LOT of gyms and that is USUALLY the case. I will say I have been surprised by a few. Most times trainers in smaller private gyms are usually of a higher caliber so that may be a good place to start.

If you decide to work with a trainer or coach, do not go into it unprepared. You have to realize that YOU are the EXPERT of YOUR LIFE. It is the responsibility of the trainer to customize a plan that fits into your life style and your goals.

Somethings to look for:

Do they perform a movement screen?
    Do they spend A LOT of time really understanding you and your goals?
    Do they make you feel heard and offer some guidance in relation to your concerns?

Good coaches make their services known, but most are not really pushy. The ones I know are very confident in their profession and it shows in how they program and choose to work with clients.

Good coaches can do a lot for some one, and I highly recommend one if you can find a good one.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I work out at LA Fitness, and there's a staff person who helps people with their goals and advises them on what workouts to do. Do they have someone like that at your gym? I'd talk to the manager and tell them how dissatisfied you were, and see if maybe you can get an assessment with a different trainer. My trainer is great!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses!

I went to a class today; Yoga. I've never tried it before, & I'm pretty sure my body was never *actually* designed to *do* a lot of those movements... but I also coaxed movement out of my shoulder that hasn't happened since it separated in 1999!

I'm sure I'll pay for this tomorrow with sore muscles, but I'm feeling a bit better today.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Today, I expected the same thing; we'd talk about my "goals". I'd get new measurements, know exactly my re-starting point.... Nope. Not so much. I basically got told that I absolutely can't lose weight on my own without a trainer. "Cardio is WRONG you can't lose weight with cardio unless you STARVE yourself & throw up every meal". :angry:

Call corporate, file a complaint.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I avoid trainers at the gym like I avoid kiosk people at the mall. The actual trainers are bad enough, the people that think they are trainers are the worst. Sorry your trainer was such a dillhole.