Help! No Endurance

Options
Hi. I need some advice. Some days I can walk and I feel pretty good and other days I am dying after 5 min. This has happenend all my life I could never consitantly have a workout that felt good even when I had been doing the same thing for a long period of time. It makes me hate worling out. Sometimes I could push a little further but most times I could barely get through the basics. I have been doing 1 mile at 2.5 mph this is a slow pace. Yesterday I had to take a break halfway through and fought to finish. Today muscles are hurting. Why do I have this problem?

Replies

• htrombleyl
    htrombleyl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh. I made my diary public. Maybe it is in there? Frustrated...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What's your height and weight?
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    It looks like your average intake is ~1100 calories which is really low (too low for most people). Maybe you need to up your calories so you can have more energy and your body can repair your muscles?
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Endurance needs consistency and patience. You just have to keep going. It's really this easy.
    According to your weight ticker, you are looking to lose 105 lbs. I'm 132 lbs, and I have no problem power walking 5 miles at a 5mph speed. If I had to carry pretty much 2x 50 lbs bags of horse feed with me, I wouldn't even make it out of the barn! Don't give up! It will get easier!

I looked at your diary, and the one thing that I noticed, is your sodium intake. It's going up and down, but overall, it's way too high for your mission. Very likely, you didn't add any extra salt that you might sprinkle over your food. A high sodium intake promotes water retention in your body, and that's a load of problems that you don't need, including, but not limited to high blood pressure, bloat....

The previous poster is right, for a closer look, you might have to provide your stats.

:flowerforyou:
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Your diary shows you aren't eating enough. Assuming is accurate I would make a point to get more fresh fruits and vegetables in there. Keep notes about your exercises and what/how you ate before them and how you feel after them. i.e. "ate 1/2c oatmeal made with 8oz milk, 10 raspberries, 2tsp brown sugar 1hr before 25 minute walk, felt good." and "ate light n'fit yogurt 30 minutes before 25 minute walk, felt awful, could not complete" This strategy will help you figure out what, when and how to eat to support your workouts.

As for endurance, the only way to get it is to work at it. With your walking, set time aside for it every day and attempt it every day. Get that routine going. If you complete it one day, but don't the next, don't get frustrated. Look at what changed from day 1 to day 2, but understand your body is not a machine. Sometimes it just won't do something, but that doesn't mean you should stop. If you fail to complete your walk 2 days in a row, dial it back for the next couple walks - going either slower or shorter, then when rested try it again at the faster or longer levels.
  • htrombleyl
    Options
    I am 5 6" and 185 now. I don't use salt on my food ever. If its in there then it is in the product.
    iam really big boned. If I get down to 180's then I look thin. I would never get down to 130. I would look sickly. Been there years ago. When I was thinner I had the same problem. I could do the same workout formore than six months and have three out of the four days be an up hill battle to complete. It makes me dread my exerciseandsets me up for.failure..
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I am 5 6" and 185 now. I don't use salt on my food ever. If its in there then it is in the product.
    iam really big boned. If I get down to 180's then I look thin. I would never get down to 130. I would look sickly. Been there years ago. When I was thinner I had the same problem. I could do the same workout formore than six months and have three out of the four days be an up hill battle to complete. It makes me dread my exerciseandsets me up for.failure..

No such thing as a fat skeleton. You need to be eating more - you have zero energy and no basis from which to help your body recover and refuel.
  • htrombleyl
    Options
    Thanks. I think I will start using the food and exercise notes!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

FWIW, I know plenty of girls who are around 5' 6" and eat upwards of 1600-1700 per day and still lose. Don't punish yourself!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    "Big boned" is a myth. Your skeleton is roughly the same size as the rest of ours.

And for the record, I am 5'6 and started at 183 lbs. I am currently 148 and my goal is 130 (I've weighed it before). I eat 1600-1800 a day and am losing quite steadily. No need to starve yourself!
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    It looks like your average intake is ~1100 calories which is really low (too low for most people). Maybe you need to up your calories so you can have more energy and your body can repair your muscles?
    This ^
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    We all have good and bad days when working out. I know I have my share of bad runs. A lot of the time it is because of what is going on in my head. Some days I am just not feeling it and I will stop more. I also acknowledge that some of my bad runs are because I just don't have the mental energy or I stop myself when I know full well I can go on. You might have more of a mind over matter situation. If you think you can't do something or start out with a negative attitude, it can affect your workouts. Try to focus on how good you will feel and how if you push yourself a little bit more, it will pay off down the road.
  • htrombleyl
    Options
    I know the calorie intake is low. Emotionally I am scared to eat more. I have a chronic illness and I am now on my 5 the medication for it. The last one made me gain 2 to 3 pounds a week. For a total weight gain of 85 lbs in about 7 months. I didn't realize it was the medication at first and started to lower my food intake. When I was around 1500 calories I was still gaining weight. I also am geting married in May. I have already postponed once because of my health
    And weight gain. Overall just panicked about getting that dress in a few months. My fiancée thinks I am crazy obsessed now. I am feeling better and the new meds are fine. I just feel like I have no time.
  • htrombleyl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice. I really appreciate it!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I know the calorie intake is low. Emotionally I am scared to eat more. I have a chronic illness and I am now on my 5 the medication for it. The last one made me gain 2 to 3 pounds a week. For a total weight gain of 85 lbs in about 7 months. I didn't realize it was the medication at first and started to lower my food intake. When I was around 1500 calories I was still gaining weight. I also am geting married in May. I have already postponed once because of my health
    And weight gain. Overall just panicked about getting that dress in a few months. My fiancée thinks I am crazy obsessed now. I am feeling better and the new meds are fine. I just feel like I have no time.

Lose the weight for life, not to get into a dress. Your goal shouldn't be a one time event, because what motivation will you have to continue with the lifestyle? If it's that severe of a mental issue, perhaps some counseling would be in order, and it couldn't hurt to include your fiance since your problems will be his problems when y'all are married.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

FWIW, I know plenty of girls who are around 5' 6" and eat upwards of 1600-1700 per day and still lose. Don't punish yourself!

Agree!
    I'm 5'6 169 lbs and eat 1600-1900 calories daily and still lose.

ETA: You are my age, and when I started I was on almost triple the medications you are, so I can understand how they impact you. Instead of making yourself miserable to fit into a dress for your wedding, how about you learn how to do this the right way, lose the weight for good, and feel great at your wedding.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight for life, not to get into a dress. Your goal shouldn't be a one time event, because what motivation will you have to continue with the lifestyle? If it's that severe of a mental issue, perhaps some counseling would be in order, and it couldn't hurt to include your fiance since your problems will be his problems when y'all are married.

QFT!

Your fiance has seen what you have been through, still is going to marry you. He is going to think you are beautiful when you walk down the aisle no matter what size you are wearing! All he wants is for you to walk down that aisle.

Eat more food, keep your fiance and doctors in the loop, keep notes so you learn what you need and how things affect you.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

Allow sufficient recovery.

Watch your endurance and performance increase....