Why some girls got LEAN?

Options

Replies

• CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to acheive exactly? You have a thigh gap are you trying to look waif? I am not sure what you want.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but "thigh gap" is not a measurement.

It is if you whip out the trusty ol' calipers

dd14_stainless_steel_digital_calipers_w_lcd_screen.jpg
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I would take bulk over what I have any day. hands down. I say the image of what you think is "supposed to be" in your head is much distorted.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    um... okay, maybe i used the term in an incorrect way, the word "bulk". Not BULK bulk in massive, but THICKER. From the side views in my photos, they don't look different. But from front views (I didn't show), I can see that it's bigger. anyways, sorry if I got you all confused with my saying of "bulk".

You haven't got "bulkier" but rather your leg muscles, particularly your quadriceps, have become more defined.

It is likely that you are actually smaller but you are given the illusion of greater size which comes from better definition.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    There is nothing bulky about you at all, you are quite slim.

Your perception of yourself is distorted.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I would take bulk over what I have any day. hands down. I say the image of what you think is "supposed to be" in your head is much distorted.

Yeah I agree with this statement. A thigh gap is a genetic thing. You can't get one if your body is not built for one. And due to your statements about being afraid to gain fat and your concern over people's comments about you "getting big," I think you've got some body issues you need to work on.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I think there's a cultural disconnect happening here.

The OP is a young girl living in Thailand and their cultural perceptions of what is "bulky" and so on is a little different to that of the West.
  • queenierz
    queenierz Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Ah, that kinda simplifies things... thanks... didn't think of it.
    And yes, i am aware I'm underweight; I am trying to gain actually, but I'm focusing on my cores and upper body more than lower body.
    And yeah, i'll just see what happens; i'll keep doing the routines i'm doing because i want to get stronger overall..i guess the only thing i have to deal is be strong mentally.
    thanks for all the replies, guys!
    I think there's a cultural disconnect happening here.

The OP is a young girl living in Thailand and their cultural perceptions of what is "bulky" and so on is a little different to that of the West.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think you are a very beautiful girl and you are very skinny. No where on your body can be considered "bulk" or even "thick" In my opinion you will look better with more weight on and with more muscle tone, but that's just my opinion.

I can understand why you look at yourself with such a distorted image. I think most Asian do. Somehow lots Asian think "the skinnier the better" I came from Taiwan almost 20 years ago. When I was 19, I weighted 110 lb and with my 5'7 height, people still told me that I would look even better if I could lose a bit more weight. I never thought I was skinny, I always thought I have a big butt ( and my American girl friends now often joke about it "butt? where?") I always thought I have big thick legs... now I look back, I was a paper thin person and unhealthy.

I think you are doing great with all the excise you are working on. Aim for being healthy, not being smaller ( leaner) You are beautiful and don't let others opinion effect you.

edited for typo
  • queenierz
    queenierz Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hahaha yup, I am surrounded by friends and my parents (big influence here) who think "the skinnier the better", and I'm trying to convert my thoughts to the different direction here. Thank you so much; I am trying to gain and get muscular in the upper body, but maybe I do not realize that it's not possible to do so without gaining the lower as well?
    To be fair, I admit I have bad distorted perception of myself, like other people here said- one of my issues here hehehe. but yeah, i need to slowly adapt myself mentally, accepting the fact that it's not big it's not big it's not big >< Thanks for the understanding :D
    I think you are a very beautiful girl and you are very skinny. No where on your body can be considered "bulk" or even "thick" In my opinion you will look better with more weight on and with more muscle tone, but that's just my opinion.

I can understand why you look at yourself with such a distorted image. I think most Asian do. Somehow lots Asian think "the skinnier the better" I came from Taiwan almost 20 years ago. When I was 19, I weighted 110 lb and with my 5'7 height, people still told me that I would look even better if I could lose a bit more weight. I never thought I was skinny, I always thought I have a big butt ( and my American girl friends now often joke about it "butt? where?") I always thought I have big thick legs... now I look back, I was a paper thin person and unhealthy.

I think you are doing great with all the excise you are working on. Aim for being healthy, not being smaller ( leaner) You are beautiful and don't let others opinion effect you.

edited for typo
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    If the pictures in your profile are of you and your legs - then Honey, they are not bulky -at all, from any perspective.

Get healthy and go enjoy your life. Your 18. You should be out having ALL the fun.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    no.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ohhh FFS! :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options

m... i'm scared if i'm eating at calorie deficit I won't gain my muscles on my upper arms- the progress is good up there though. It's just funny on how I don't focus on my lower body at all in lifting except some cardio trainings.. But thank you. I do feel stronger inside and I'm loving it. ;)

Please don't focus only on upper body training and just do cardio for lower body. It's against the law to skip leg day. :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Take proper measurements. My thighs look bigger but they are actually 3/4" smaller - boo :(
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you are trying to put on muscle.... Increase is muscle is an increase in mass. I don't quite see the problem?
  • infoandreafryett
    infoandreafryett Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, there are a lot of comments so someone may have touched on this.

You may need a stretching program like Essentrics designed as cardio but also to strengthen in an essentric (or anelongated position). I have the same "problem" as you, I build muscle easily and it "bulks". It's genetic. For me, the trick has been essentric, and not consentric training.

Look on youtube for essentrics, you will find some video's
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Edit... because stretching doesn't prevent bulky muscles. Not lifting and not eating at a surplus prevents bulky muscles.

I think I'm confused about the goal.

Lose weight.

Get muscle.

Get strong.

Look good naked.

Pick something. There can and might be overlap- but you need a goal.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You = not bulky
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    +1
    Edit... because stretching doesn't prevent bulky muscles. Not lifting and not eating at a surplus prevents bulky muscles.

I think I'm confused about the goal.

Lose weight.

Get muscle.

Get strong.

Look good naked.

Pick something. There can and might be overlap- but you need a goal.