Smartphone running apps

Options
2»

Replies

• lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper FTW. Although I turn off the 5minute alerts - they just annoy me!
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi all, which app do you use for running? I was using RunDouble which was great when I was doing the C25K but I've progressed into my own program and RunDouble just doesn't cut it. I'd really like something that has the option to announce miles (RunDouble only tells you when you are half way and only has a few pre-set distances for fun runs) OR lets you program a custom distance to run. Bonus points if it's free, but I'd pay for something that works really well. Android.

Thanks!

Runkeeper is free I have it announce every km and every 5 minutes you can program it to miles and no time if you like.

I has an pay for upgrade but I haven't done that as I don't really need it.

Ditto. Love Runkeeper.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun for me - you can set the vocal feedback to all sorts of intervals, right down to every 0.25 km.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+. It announces every mile, tracks with GPS, and it's free. It syncs with it's site to keep stats for the day, week, month, years and includes your times and also how many miles on your running shoes. You can add friends, set up challenges, and link to FB if that's something you want to do.

Me too, love Nike+

I like Nike+. Mostly for the facebook part. I'm an attention *kitten* like that. :tongue:
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRun, which will also track walking, biking, swimming, and gym classes for you.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to try MMR. I'm actually a member but I only use it online because it has the handy route-planning tool so I plan my route and then track with RunDouble.

Thank you all for the feedback, I will check out a few of the others too!
  • rueruechika
    rueruechika Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Runtastic
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper and have been very happy with it, however it was the first running app I used so I can't compare, it has just never fallen short so I never felt any desire to try a different one. GPS seems pretty accurate, announcements are very configurable, keeps track of how many runs i've gone on and how many km, etc etc, and auto syncs to MFP.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+. It announces every mile, tracks with GPS, and it's free. It syncs with it's site to keep stats for the day, week, month, years and includes your times and also how many miles on your running shoes. You can add friends, set up challenges, and link to FB if that's something you want to do.

Me too, love Nike+

Same here. I've used Nike+ for years. I buy the shoes that you allow you to add the sensor to the inside of the shoe but you can also attached a sensor to the outside of your shoe. There's an app to go with it and they also sell other gear like wristbands with a USB and sport watches. It gives you lots of positive feed back. It will announce things like "you just ran for fastest mile", "That was your longest run", "you've run 3 days in row". They also have levels based on how many miles you've accumulated.

Nike+ Levels are assigned to the following kilometer-based achievements:

Yellow: 0-49 kilometers or 0-30 miles
    Orange: 50-249 kilometers or 31-154 miles
    Green: 250-999 kilometers or 155-620 miles
    Blue: 1,000-2,499 kilometers or 621-1,552 miles
    Purple: 2,500-4,999kilometers or 1,553-3,106 miles
    Black: 5,000-14,999 kilometers or 3,107-9,319 miles
    Volt: More than 15,000 kilometers or 9,320 miles
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I really like the Nike+ app. Mainly because I can add friends from FB and it keeps track everyone's total distance. It motivates me to try and get ahead of them. I also like that during the run, it announces when you hit each mile, your time and average pace.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Another vote for MapMyRun if you're going to use a phone app. I've been using it for over a year and love it (use it for biking and kayaking too).

But I recently got my Garmin 310XT connected to my home computer (it was down for maintenance so I couldn't install Garmin Connect)...for the past three days, I've been working out "phone free" and it has been SO nice! All the info that I need is right on my wrist (plus it is waterproof, so I don't need to worry about rain! yay!) :smile:
  • lynda167
    Options
    The Nike+ app can also be customized - to announce to you every x miles or every y minutes - whatever you like. Also, you get badges when you meet certain goals and it keeps track of your fastest mile, fastest 5k, longest run, farthest run, etc. Also, once the run is done you can see where you ran faster and slower on the map - which helps to realize how hills affect you or if you need to get better at pacing yourself. So many helpful aspects.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun for me - you can set the vocal feedback to all sorts of intervals, right down to every 0.25 km.

It looks like my information is outdated (I know in the past, I was limited to only being told in 1 mile intervals and had to upgrade for it to tell me at 0.5 intervals. So things have changed, or else they have a different policy for km vs miles)! I've been looking around the app and can't seem to figure out where I can adjust the intervals for the voice feedback. Would you mind sharing how to change that? Thank you!

ETA: I found it! In case it helps anyone else...

1) Go to Settings
    2) Select "Voice Feedback" (I didn't realize at first by clicking on this, it would open a new menu)
    3) Go down to the "Interval" section and select whatever "Update Interval" you want

I'm thankful for your post about the voice feedback intervals... that is going to help me so much hearing my pace every 0.25-0.5 mile instead of just every mile. Perfect timing, as I am running a 5k on Monday :D