Coconut Oil and Weight Loss

Options
So I've switched over to Coconut Oil for all my cooking since I heard such great things about using it to aid in weight loss. After abut a month, I do see that my abdominal fat has decreased as well as I no longer have a heavy appetite. Has anyone else had similar experience with using coconut oil. I wish I had measure my waist before I started but I will try to going forward to track my progress.

http://authoritynutrition.com/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I can't answer because I tried the coconut oil and found that I could really taste it in the food and it wasn't great. Have you had the same experience? I got Trader Joe's brand. I'd like to start using it but I don't like for *everything* to taste like coconut.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    So I've switched over to Coconut Oil for all my cooking since I heard such great things about using it to aid in weight loss. After abut a month, I do see that my abdominal fat has decreased as well as I no longer have a heavy appetite. Has anyone else had similar experience with using coconut oil. I wish I had measure my waist before I started but I will try to going forward to track my progress.

I do cook with coconut oil but there is no magic here. Coconut oil is just healthier form of oil that you can cook with and has many other uses as well. It however does not magically help reduce abdominal fat or magically make your body burn extra calories. The only thing that does that is a caloric deficit.

ETA: I read the last part of the article. It is similar to many others I have read saying the same thing. In fact it almost looked like it could have been copy and pasted from another one I read. Like many of these types of articles one can find online there is a lot of maybe's and looks like.
  • Brwnsugar_80
    Brwnsugar_80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can't answer because I tried the coconut oil and found that I could really taste it in the food and it wasn't great. Have you had the same experience? I got Trader Joe's brand. I'd like to start using it but I don't like for *everything* to taste like coconut.

Yes, I've been using the Trader Joe Coconut Oil, both the jar and spray. Personally I don't taste it when I eat the food or notice any after taste. However, when I tried Oil-Pulling, I do taste it and I didn't like the taste but I was using a different brand of Coconut Oil.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    would agree with above poster, coconut oil is a nice thing to cook with but it is still down to calories in and out plus exercise. I like the flavour and I also use it on my face and hair as a moisturiser and even sometimes run over my dogs' coats too but though it may be more healthy than some cooking fats, there are no miracles to be had.
  • Brwnsugar_80
    Options

I do cook with coconut oil but there is no magic here. Coconut oil is just healthier form of oil that you can cook with and has many other uses as well. It however does not magically help reduce abdominal fat or magically make your body burn extra calories. The only thing that does that is a caloric deficit.

ETA: I read the last part of the article. It is similar to many others I have read saying the same thing. In fact it almost looked like it could have been copy and pasted from another one I read. Like many of these types of articles one can find online there is a lot of maybe's and looks like.

Hi ksy1969,

Thanks for comments! That's why I like getting opinions from others beside online articles. That way I can gauge the "truthiness" of articles.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^QFT
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I blend (in the blender) coconut oil in my coffee everything morning, I haven't cooked with it yet, but I have really noticed a difference in my appetite for sure. It makes me feel very full and not so hungry all day long! For abdominal fat, that may just be because I am not overeating as often :) Coconut oil is supposed to have many benefits for your body! Including, hair, skin, and nails! I am a believer in it so far. And its a great quick breakfast in my coffee everything morning.
  • christullos
    Options
    Coconut oil is good but there are other oils that are good for you too and you won't get that coconut flavor. I keep a range of oils on hand depending on what I'm cooking.

Olive oil; 2 kinds of olive oil. 1 Pomace olive oil for sauteeing and a good extra virgin olive oil for finishing (never heat a good evoo)
    Avacado oil, Walnut oil, Sesame oil (great for stir fry), just to name a few.

All of these oils have their distinct flavors and can be used for different dishes.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I like it for my hair...
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I know I'm likely not getting enough "good" fats in my body so I have a little supplement chew that I take daily to get coconut oil in. I can't cook with it because my partner is allergic (unless we cook 2 separate meals which is silly when we can just cook 1) and the idea of oil pulling makes me gag (personal thing) so this is a good way to do it! And it's like a coconut caramel so it's delicious, it's like having a little treat!
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options

If you get refined coconut oil it shouldn't taste much like anything. Virgin unrefined coconut oil is definitely full of coconut flavor, and you can taste it in almost everything you cook in coconut oil.
  • TXPIP
    TXPIP Posts: 10
    Options
    Does it not change the taste of your coffee?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

There are primarily two types of coconut oil: unrefined and refined. The unrefined tastes like coconut. Delicious in certain recipes, not so much in others. The refined doesn't have this coconut taste.

That said, there is nothing magical about coconut oil Weight loss is the result of a calorie deficit. The end. It's still our preferred cooking oil for various other reasons.
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

It tastes a lot like a plain creamer for your coffee, when I blend it I like the flavor a lot better! and Then I add honey instead of sugar to make it a little more sweet. Its really good! Just like a latte from a coffee shop
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

If you get refined coconut oil it shouldn't taste much like anything. Virgin unrefined coconut oil is definitely full of coconut flavor, and you can taste it in almost everything you cook in coconut oil.

Ah good info, thank you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I cook with coconut oil...it is delicious...I particularly like using it with my scrambled eggs...but it's not magic...it doesn't contribute jack **** to weight loss. Burning fat happens when you consume less energy (calories) than your body requires for maintaining the status quo. Fat is stored energy...when you're consuming less energy than your body requires, your body has to pull from somewhere to cover the deficit...that somewhere is your fat stores.

Burning fat and losing weight has nothing to do with whether you use coconut oil or not. It's a tasty fat source...nothing more, nothing less. I would further add that many of the touted health benefits are anecdotal at best...I mean, coconut oil is all the rage right now...but it was a great dietary villain of the 90s....it was the devil...more artery clogging, cholesterol raising, heart attack causing than butter...and today it is a "health" food...in a couple of years the industry will be onto the next "super food" or magical potion...don't get caught up in all that BS.

Like I said...it's delicious...I use it frequently along with olive oil, avocado oil, and butter depending on the application. It's just fat.
  • CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Here's a question...

Even with calorie in/calorie out, don't healthy oils provide other benefits that could affect a "smaller" tummy without burning fat?

Such as bowel movement regulation and decrease in bloat? It looks like an increase in healthy fats is also one of the ways to create regularity. Ewwwy, yes... but pooping regularly and decreasing bloat leads to smaller tummies, too.

http://www.amandahamiltondiet.com/health-advice/weight-loss/seven-steps-to-healthy-bowel-movements/
  • Brwnsugar_80
    Options
    I have completely changed my eating habits and added exercise as well as adding coconut oil. I was just wondering if the coconut oil was helping with the abdominal fat loss and a filling of fullness. My calorie count daily is way down compared to two years ago and since I started with the coconut oil, I was wondering if that was why i struggle to eat at least 1200 calories a day. These are all good comments everyone is leaving! And yes, I have curly hair and coconut oil works really well in my hair. I'll continue as I'm doing and will start back with trying Oil-Pulling again with Coconut Oil.
  • Brwnsugar_80
    Options

It tastes a lot like a plain creamer for your coffee, when I blend it I like the flavor a lot better! and Then I add honey instead of sugar to make it a little more sweet. Its really good! Just like a latte from a coffee shop

Sounds kinda like that bulletproof coffee but with no butter as the fat. I should try it!
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    .... My calorie count daily is way down compared to two years ago and since I started with the coconut oil, I was wondering if that was why i struggle to eat at least 1200 calories a day.

If your diary for the last five days is accurate, you aren't anywhere near 1200 - you didn't go above 850! and one day was only 575. NO ONE on here is going to advocate this type of low calorie consumption because it is very dangerous to your health. That being said, in those days I glanced at in your diary, I didn't see any coconut oil logged. So, either you are consuming more than you think or you just didn't use any coconut oil on those days. Whatever the case, you need to eat much more than you are currently eating. Seriously!