Muscle Rest and Repair

Options
My fitness goal is to lose weight (a lot), gain flexibility and strength. I know to go slow and work up. Yesterday i got some great advice to try various DVD programs but I have another question.

Many of the DVD programs are the "cardiovascular combined with all over strength" type videos. Think 30DS. Can you do these types of workouts every day without negative effects? In my younger years I remember something about alternating days and sites (abs and arms one day, legs another...) for strength training -- to allow enough time for the muscle groups to rest and repair?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    When I was doing P90X, I recommend it, the DVD knows about repair so you do different muscles from day to day.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Most of those types of videos (30DS, T25) don't tear things up enough to need to alternate sites. At most, a day a week of rest or light stretching is plenty.

The more intense videos (Insanity, P90X, etc.) generally do some type of rotation.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm currently working the 30 DS, and I'm on day 24. (51, female, 5'5", 132 lbs). This is an extreme, limited time training program. It does not have any scheduled rest days as such, and it is meant to work together with a considerably strict diet plan in order to get the advertised results. The program is not suited for slow sustainable weight loss/ lifestyle change.

That said, the exercises are set up as high intensity interval training circuit with weights. It's as easy as you want, or as hard as you want. There are modifications provided, and they can be performed without weights. Generally, the circuit is promoted with a pair of 3 lbs dumbbells. Personally, I get exactly what I want out of it, which is overall conditioning and fat reduction. Depending on the exercises, I use anything from 5 lbs to 12 lbs weights, which translates for me in sets of 'high reps, low weights, as many as possible'. And yes, the way I do it, makes muscles grow.
    However, since I work this as hard as I can, I will take rest days. Some of the exercises hit the muscle groups very hard, every day, and this is not a good thing. Today is one of my rest days on weights, and I will do some stationary bike and a movie instead....

I'm a big Jillian video workout fan, and I've done many of her programs, or part of her programs to spice up my routines. There is the 'Ripped in 30', that I can recommend. the circuits are set up similar to 30 DS, but the workouts are supposed to be done 5-6 days per week, rest days are expected. Again, as hard as you want, or as easy as you want, with a variety of weights. No results, however, without proper nutrition plan.

Good luck, train safe!
  • tuxedord2
    tuxedord2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    These types of workouts are okay to do daily.