Can anyone give any advice on ALLI?

Options
Does anyone have any advice on Alli? Or have you ever tried it? Does it work? What do you have to do to make it work 100% Is it expensive? How often do you need to take it and how many? i heard it makes you go the toilet regularly and sometimes people have an 'accident' I dont want to try it if I gotta bring a clean pair of knickers to work with me...
I run 2 times a week for an hour and calorie intake is recommended at 1200 per day...

Replies

• james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have not tried it, but I believe it helps a portion of your fat you eat go right through your system without being absorbed. If you eat too much fat then you have "an accident". This is from my memory of it a few years ago,maybe someone else knows more.
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i have tried it. it does work as long as you really watch what you eat and not have more than 12-15 grams of fat a meal. take it 3 times a day one pill with each meal containing fat
    you shouldnt have any nasty side effects including accidents as long as you watch your fat intake

i only stopped it because it got expensive while i took it in the past i lost about 40lbs in 5 months.

it blocks 25% of your fat intake. so its not suppose to do the work for you but HELP YOU.

needless to say the more excess fat you consume over 15g the worse the effects you will have
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have advice: Don't take it (unless you enjoy "sharting"). I took it for about a month, and had to wear a pad every day. I only lost 2 or 3 lbs, and it was just not worth the grossness of it all. The accidents happen even if you stay within the allotted fat grams, just because of the way your body breaks it down. Just.....gross. Sorry about being kind of graphic, but that is the reality of it. :embarassed:
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I do think that taking a pill to help is not a good thing, but it does what it says that it will do. I just can't see spending $50 dollars for a bunch of pills. I have tried it, didn't like the um...side effects. Lets just say that if you eat, you never know what the aftereffects will be. If you eat fried, any fried, any hidden grease or fat or oil, it will come out.
  • Liblil7
    Options
    It's kind of a mixed bag. I am being treated for Hep-C and need to lose some weight for treatment options and/or possible liver transplant. That said, I see a lot of Gastroenterologists. One gave me a prescription for the same drug that is in Alli but it was so expensive the pharmacist recommended I take 2 Alli over-the-counter instead before each meal. Same side affects that you eluded to, but more extreme. GI agreed and I was prepared to move forward with it when I saw a Kaiser Gastroenterologist who said it can be quite toxic and doesn't recommend it at all, but if used should be under close medical supervision.

Much as I love the "magic pill" idea...I've opted for less calories and more exercise. I hate it, but don't want to become svelt again only to lose my health.

Good luck with your decision! I hope this helps.
  • VeganJamiOnAMission
    Options
    I've tried it with no real success. It was hard for me to remember to take it all the time. When I did take it I didn't have any "accidents". You just have to be sure to eat only low fat foods. The problems come when you continue to eat a high fat diet. It is also very expensive. Usually $50 per bottle. It was not worth it for me. And there was recent talks of possible liver damage. The success comes from eating healthier, which you can do on your own if you really try. The Alli might make you lose a little faster, but it is still probably healthier and cheaper to lose weight without the Alli. Hope that helps.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    hmmmmmm.........

I have changed my diet so I dont eat lots of fat with my meals... so you're saying I'll still crap myself basically...? I suppose when Im running with my Running Club, I dont want to 'need' the toilet while Im out! that would be extremely embarrassing..

Yeah I enjoy eating healthy and the exercise is doing me real good... suppose I'll stick to that then eh!!

Thanks for your comments peeps!
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Be very careful with using Alli and any sort of diet pill. The Food and Drug Administration has investigated Alli numerous times due to it's ability to cause severe liver damage.

I originally thought about trying it and possibly recommending it to my mom but after investigating it, I decided strongly against it.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    You could always use Depends......
  • puddle140
    Options
    DON'T DO IT! I'm sure that it is a great tool for some but for me it was horrible. I wasn't eating anything high in fat because I was afraid of the consequences but I still had the very painful stomach cramps and orange watery stool. IT WAS GROSS! :sick:
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I was told by two different doctors that if you eat anything remotely bad for you while on Alli, it will cause anal leakage as your body will no longer want to hold the excess fat you have consumed.

due to this fact, as i cannot really budget Alli + Depends or liners + extra underwear - my dignity.
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    I have took Alli, and have never once had any nasty (or any) side affect. It is definatly not a "magic pill"- as noted on the instructions, but it does help take off the extra pound or two a week. I suppose one may have adverse affects if they continue to eat like a fatty... fried food, etc. When taking Alli, you should eat no more than 15 grams a fat a meal, as again noted on the instructions. But hello- thats a lot anyways. That is close to what one should eat throughout the duration of the day. All I can say is if you eat the RIGHT food (which when dieting shouldnt consist of ANY fried food) then it WILL work. If anything it has helped me to stay under my fat intake limit. I have nothing bad to say about it. And have been taking it for about a month...
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Be very careful with using Alli and any sort of diet pill. The Food and Drug Administration has investigated Alli numerous times due to it's ability to cause severe liver damage.

I originally thought about trying it and possibly recommending it to my mom but after investigating it, I decided strongly against it.

Not only that, but it strips all the fat out of the meals you are eating, which is extremely unhealthy.

Our bodies don't need low fat diets. We need to be eating WHOLE foods.

We need fatty acids for our bodies to function properly and a certain % of fat intake every day. Low fat diets don't give us that percentage, which can be damaging to your health.
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Not only that, but it strips all the fat out of the meals you are eating, which is extremely unhealthy.

Our bodies don't need low fat diets. We need to be eating WHOLE foods.

We need fatty acids for our bodies to function properly and a certain % of fat intake every day. Low fat diets don't give us that percentage, which can be damaging to your health.

it doesnt take out all of the fat only like 25%
  • schninie82
    Options
    Whats that?
  • schninie82
    Options
    Thanks for that... I suppose it does depend on the person and the fat in take... I have to be honest... I am tempted to try it even just a week... my sister in law has had it in the past and she says she had no accidents either... thanks...
  • schninie82
    Options
    eugh.....
  • schninie82
    Options
    ugh...that sounds bad...
  • dogwalk
    dogwalk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It works if you eat a diet high in fats,because thats what is does it blocks some of the fats from being asorbed,but if your a dieter you r probably like me you dont eat alot of fats,I did try it when it first came out years ago and it didnt work for me , it did give me a lot of gas and i felt bloated a lot, the only way is to cut back on food intake and move more,We all wish ther was a magic pill but i dont think so
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Diet pills scare the living daylights out of me! If you're eating whole, natural foods (no processed!) and exercising regularly you should lose weight just fine.

There is no "magic" pill. Those drugs exist for one reason: to make money!! Please just stick to the natural, old-fashioned strategy. It works!