Lifting: How much needed to maintain LBM???

Options
I'm currently eating at a deficit (approx 1600) and working out to continue losing weight. I know how important it is to add weight lifting into your workout routine to help maintain as much lean muscle as you can while losing weight. But how much and how heavy???

When I first started losing weight I only did Body Pump classes as my weight training. However I have since moved on into the weight room. I currently do an upper/lower body split and cardio. I'm lifting enough weight where I can do 12-14 reps, almost impossible to do 16 reps. I'm wondering if that is good enough or should I consider going a bit heavier where I can only do maybe 8-10 reps?

21525558.png

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Generally people suggest starting out on a basic program like 'starting strength' or 'strong lifts' - both are pretty simple, you do 3x5 reps mostly and 3 exercises per session 3 times a week.

It's a pretty complex area, so there's not a massive amount of research to prove what's generally better or not.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear the answers. I'm certainly no expert, but I've always heard/read that getting to failure is more important than amount of reps or weight.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I read an article that said the best type of lifting for preserving LBM was the same type that build strength, which is lower rep, 4-6.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

I'd also recommend doing a good solid full body program, rather than just making stuff up as you go. Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength are both excellent programs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I would like to respectfully disagree with everyone always pushing Stronglifts or Starting Strength for hypertrophy. I think they are fabulous, for what they are intended for, which is building strength. I also think strength training is both more fun and more useful, but that's not what everyone is looking for.

When I was younger, I was into bodybuilding and now that I am older, I am a power lifter. I trained differently for each. Stronglifts' own website states it is not for bodybuilding.

I like the 8-10, 3 sets concept for bodybuilding. Just my opinion though and we all have different ones...:flowerforyou:
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm doing much the same thing . . . doing strength training while losing weight.

I'm no expert, but from what I've read on the subject the number of reps you should do depends on what you are trying to accomplish. My understanding is that lower reps with higher weight builds strength; whereas, higher reps with lower weight builds muscle mass.

An example from weighttrainer.net :
    Max muscle = 3 sets of 1-5 reps
    Max strength = 3-7 sets of 6-12 reps
    Combined strength & muscle = 3 sets of 3-12 reps

I do my routine as a combined with 3 sets of 8. I've definitely noticed strength gain while continuing to lose weight. Currently my weight loss has slowed; but I'm still seeing definite changes in my body measurements for the better.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I would like to respectfully disagree with everyone always pushing Stronglifts or Starting Strength for hypertrophy. I think they are fabulous, for what they are intended for, which is building strength. I also think strength training is both more fun and more useful, but that's not what everyone is looking for.

When I was younger, I was into bodybuilding and now that I am older, I am a power lifter. I trained differently for each. Stronglifts' own website states it is not for bodybuilding.

I like the 8-10, 3 sets concept for bodybuilding. Just my opinion though and we all have different ones...:flowerforyou:

Poster isn't looking for hypertrophy, only preservation of LBM, which a strength protocol would do.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Who said anything about hypertrophy? The OP asked about MAINTAINING lean body mass while losing weight. Stronglifts is a great program for someone looking to be strong - and an added benefit would be maintaing LBM or if there is no real muscle tone to speak of - probably increasing it to a small degree. FWIW I agree with your bodybuilding perspective, I personally do 12-10-8 reps for 3 sets of pyramiding work to failure or near failure. Call it old school - it works. I don't think that's what the OP is looking for though. My wife has had tremendous body comp changes with Stronglifts - and that's for a 37 y.o. woman who NEVER lifts weights.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Who said anything about hypertrophy? The OP asked about MAINTAINING lean body mass while losing weight. Stronglifts is a great program for someone looking to be strong - and an added benefit would be maintaing LBM or if there is no real muscle tone to speak of - probably increasing it to a small degree. FWIW I agree with your bodybuilding perspective, I personally do 12-10-8 reps for 3 sets of pyramiding work to failure or near failure. Call it old school - it works. I don't think that's what the OP is looking for though. My wife has had tremendous body comp changes with Stronglifts - and that's for a 37 y.o. woman who NEVER lifts weights.

Thanks!

Yes I'm only looking to maintain LBM right now as I lose weight. I'm also 37 and consider myself a newbie in lifting. I was looking into Stronglifts for that but wasn't sure if it would be the best choice.
  • Isakizza
    Options
    Questions:
    If I do Stronglifts to maintain LBM during weight loss... do I not need to worry about accessory work? Will this pretty much cover my full body?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Questions:
    If I do Stronglifts to maintain LBM during weight loss... do I not need to worry about accessory work? Will this pretty much cover my full body?

Yes, Stronglifts is fullbody and no, you shouldn't need accessory work. Aren't really supposed to do it anyway.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Questions:

Yes, Stronglifts is fullbody and no, you shouldn't need accessory work. Aren't really supposed to do it anyway.

depends, BBers utilize isolations and accessory work to great benefit for their goals.

The compounds in strong lifts though are excellent for newbies and should be enough for most of what is needed.
  • Isakizza
    Options
    Thanks! Started StrongLifts :happy:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Started StrongLifts :happy:

Have fun!