Never get a "runner's high" when I run......

Options
I was in the gym this morning doing some cardio (treadmill). I typically use the elliptical or step mill with an occasional outdoor jog. I am wondering if there is a trick to this 'runner's high' that I have heard about. I'm not usually thrilled with running and I won't be doing any marathons, but I can hammer out 30 minutes of running (vary mph from 5.5 to 8.0). If I do a full 30 minutes, I try to stick around 6 mph. Each and every step is always an ordeal for me. I just can't wait to get it over with. I've tried all sorts of mind-sets to work around that because I love the benefits of my runs (I lose any excess weight very fast when I incorporate running, not to mention just feeling better, overall)

I know two people who run regularly and they just love it (so they say). I feel that way about lifting - but, I'm not one of those body types that can just do lifting and still keep excess fat off (unless I take cals too low). Cardio just keeps it off much more effectively. Is there something I am not aware of to finding this sweet spot when I run? I would love to find out how it feels because running just might become a bit more bearable.

Any input? Thanks!

Replies

• shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Me neither.

Running sucks. You either love it or you just get by, despite not loving it.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I run 40-45 miles a week and have done so for about 3 1/2 years... also lift weights... I really enjoy both, but I really love running but I do not think I ever experienced the so-called "runner's high". I have days where I feel like I could run all day, but not because I'm feeling euphoric... just because I'm feeling rested, strong and focused. I get those days in the gym, too. I don't view running as "fun" per se... I enjoy the challenge of it... I like the fact that I can get up in the morning and knock off 1,000 calories before most people even get up, but most of the time running is tough and not fun... but it makes me stronger and tougher mentally...and physically...just like those gym workouts that leave you wringing wet...

When I'm running, I never try to find the "high"... I just run because I like the way I feel when I'm out on the road or trail by myself watching the miles drop off...and getting to the point to see who is going win out... body or brain... maybe that is my "runner's high"...when I push myself to a new limit... or get a new pair of running shoes :)
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    I don't get my "runners high" every run, but usually when I do it's after like 6 or 7 miles. I can never get one with a short run, even if it's sprints.

Also, try running outdoors if you're only on a treadmill. I find no satisfaction with running on a treadmill.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    The only high I ever felt when I was running was when I finished it. In my head my body was doing cartwheels and skipping around because it was all over. In reality my body was collapsed on the floor. But I don't think that's the "runners high" they refer to.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what is so great about running - you and I may never love or even like running!

I run intervals . . . but I usually hate it! If I run for 30 minutes the 29th minute is maybe where I get a peak at that runners high.

I incorporated running because I believe it is a good workout and I wanted as many options as possible to help keep me active in the long run.
  • mammahawk25
    mammahawk25 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to be a "runner", I officially started running 5 years ago. When I first started it was miserable! I found I couldn't go 10 minutes without completely collapsing. Then took a step back and tried the couch to 5k program. It got me building slowly so I could eventually get to 30 minutes of running. But I found that I still really struggled with running, I really wasn't enjoying it and started thinking that maybe running wasn't for me. Then I learned the art of s.l.o.w.i.n.g d.o.w.n.....Yes, I had to LEARN how to slow down, it wasn't easy, but once I figured out a good pace for me...that's when I started falling in love with running! At one point I slowed my pace back to a 13 minute mile...it was a snails pace, but I enjoyed being able to run without feeling like every step was an ordeal. I am now running around an 11:30 minute mile...a few years ago that would have left me in a heap, but today it is a very comfortable, enjoyable pace that doesn't leave me feeling like I'm slogging through another run.

FWIW when doing an "easy" run (which is what most of your runs should be) you should be running at a pace that you can still carry on a conversation with short sentences.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I hate running and have never gotten a runner's high. I'm also one of those people who don't get like "OMG, I feel SO great after my workouts!" Nope. I usually feel tired. Happy I did it, but tired.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy (most of) my runs but I'm not sure if I would call it a runner's high. I do get to a point where I just feel really good, like I could go on forever. But I'm not super speedy (generally average 11 minutes/mile) and don't go super far (5 miles at the most.) So going on "forever" would be like 6 or 7 miles.
  • jmminmn
    jmminmn Posts: 28
    Options
    I completely agree - learning to slow down (and I run outside) has been best for me. While I don't get a runners high - there is something peaceful about running ourside in the morning. It's just as good for my mind as my body. Bottom line, find something that works for you - change of pace, change of scenery, music/quiet...whatever helps make it a more enjoyable experience. You may never experience the so-called runners high - but you wont' dread your runs and you'll feel great at the end!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Try running outdoors on a nice trail.

That is what you might be missing for your 'Runners High'

I get too bored on a treadmill, I love running trails and being outdoors. Since I have started I keep wanting to do more and go longer.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a runner's high is but one thing I do know treadmill sucks.

Can you run outside even if for a mile at a slower pace? Hopefully that will give you a better experience.

Edited - grammar
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I experince the 'runner's high'. Not always but fairly often. But i almost NEVER experience it DURING a workout.

Always at the end.

its very subtle and natural so its difficult to distinguish from simply 'feeling good'

I used to swim in highschool. looking back, hanging out with friends after a workout was probably the best i felt during highschool.

it wasn't until i started actually getting high in college that i was like 'oh wait, that must have been a runners high' lol. if you've never gotten artifically high, its even that more difficult to pull appart from a normal feeling (not that a runners high isn't natural). in fact the first few times i got artifically high, i couldn't tell i was high lol.

but i wouldnt expect it to help you complete a work out or really even enjoy it more. its more like an extra gift at the end.

you could try shorter intense workouts like HIIT, might experinece it. my thoughts are that you get a little of it already without picking up on it. its very sublte
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I know two people who run regularly and they just love it (so they say).

Personally I really enjoy running, but put me on a dreadmill I'd be ready to kill you after about ten minutes, probably the most boring and demotivating way to train, second only to the elliptical for the tedium.

I'd ask what you're expecting as a runners high?

For me, getitng out on the trail, listening to the wind in the trees, listening to the birds and just enjoying the time and space on my own.

Some sessions are just a means to an end, and some sessions are just painful but need to be included in the training programme.

That said I usually find the first couple of miles a bit harder work, I only really get into a smooth rhythm after that, once I've lossened up and just found my headspace.
    I feel that way about lifting

And again, personally I find resistance training to be incredibly tedious, all that p!ssing about with plates, hanging about between sets I find disruptive and boring. Resistance training is a means to an end, as it helps my running performance and helps reduce the risk of injury. I put up with it.

I admire your tenacity in continuing with the running, to make it enjoyable I'd suggest getting outside and running in the real.

You could try different types of sessions, like intervals, but if you neglect the aerobic base then you're not going to get the greatest benefit from them. And in all honesty you're not going to get a quality interval session on a dreadmill anyway.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    1. Ditch the treadmill. That should help.

2. Not all of my runs are winners. Usually, I enjoy them on some level (either physical, mental, or emotional), but very rarely all three. I have had what I would imagine is the 'runners high', where everything is clicking and you just feel like you could run forever, but that is usually in long runs, and it doesn't last the whole time. Sometimes, I enjoy it on no level whatsoever, and am just happy the run is over. Nothing is going to be fun and easy 100% of the time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go outside.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I completely agree - learning to slow down (and I run outside) has been best for me. While I don't get a runners high - there is something peaceful about running ourside in the morning. It's just as good for my mind as my body. Bottom line, find something that works for you - change of pace, change of scenery, music/quiet...whatever helps make it a more enjoyable experience. You may never experience the so-called runners high - but you wont' dread your runs and you'll feel great at the end!

Exactly this; especially if you happen to have nature trails around you. Somehow a 5am run as the sun comes up and the birds start chirping and you see the odd deer or something makes me a very happy runner. I finish my run, sit down for a minute, drink back some water and the world feels a little bit more at peace -- no matter how insanely cheesy that sounds.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    go outside.

This. I know the feeling, but I can't explain it. I ran 14 miles this morning...and I got the feeling around mile 11......honestly, I did not want to stop.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Somehow a 5am run as the sun comes up and the birds start chirping and you see the odd deer or something makes me a very happy runner. I finish my run, sit down for a minute, drink back some water and the world feels a little bit more at peace -- no matter how insanely cheesy that sounds.

Exactly...
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    go outside.

Listen to this man. He is wise. :bigsmile:

I can run outside for an hour, easy peasy. But put me on a dreadmill? Stuck inside and staring at the same spot on the wall? I'll kill you after 10 minutes. I think 15 minutes is the longest I've ever been able to stay on one. I run outside when it's 90 degrees, I run outside when it's 10 degrees, I run outside when it is sunny, when it is snowing, and when it is raining (tho I do draw the line at thunder and lightning). ALL of that is far preferable to the dreadmill.

:flowerforyou:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Somehow a 5am run as the sun comes up and the birds start chirping and you see the odd deer or something makes me a very happy runner. I finish my run, sit down for a minute, drink back some water and the world feels a little bit more at peace -- no matter how insanely cheesy that sounds.

Exactly...

thats essentially how i would describe it. i've always done more sprinit type workouts even as a swimmer. i always felt it afterwards, a tiny pick me up. i've had a few times mid workout, but even then its probably during a rest interval or when i just stop from exhaustion lol