CNS Rest Period?

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
This question was brought about by a discussion going on in the Hugh Jackman thread but....

After a high volume session, how long is a "safe" rest period for the CNS?

Is that essentially rest from all training, or the type of training being undertaken? To give an example: Yesterday was a hard, high volume lifting session. Would yoga, rock climbing, or some other non-load bearing workout impact the CNS recovery?

Replies

• dbmata
    Options
    bump for the daywalkers.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This IS a really complicated question.

Dan John gives some examples of appropriate rest in the book "Easy Strength".

Runners recommend one day of COMPLETE rest each week for full recovery.

But a lot of people violate that all the time, and I have no idea on the actual research.

Sorry I can't be of any actual help.
  • dbmata
    Options

But a lot of people violate that all the time, and I have no idea on the actual research.

I figured it was a question the size of the Rock.

One reason it came to mind is that I'm ramping up my lifting volume, and intensity. Will my yoga, swimming, and climbing have negative effects on my CNS improvements?
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If it is actually CNS Fatigue, than 1-2 days of rest (without any physical exercises), combine with lots of fluids and eating right, should be enough to recover. In all honesty though, it is much easier to experience physical muscle fatigue, than CNS fatigue.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If it is actually CNS Fatigue, than 1-2 days of rest (without any physical exercises), combine with lots of fluids and eating right, should be enough to recover. In all honesty though, it is much easier to experience physical muscle fatigue, than CNS fatigue.

Yeah, I don't doubt that, just wondering there where that threshold is.

I'd like to work towards it of course, to see how it feels.
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: asdwedgcbuhijkihgftrdsfgh
  • dbmata
    Options

Don't you summon Cthulhu.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I think it's individual.

The only way to know is to try some programming and see how it affects you (all other things being equal like good hydration, good sleep adequate nutrition).

I know I've gone too far when simple tasks become difficult (like walking up a hill that's never normally a problem) and also when grip strength starts to tail off. Pavel tells of an old Russian dude who swore by increasing resting heart rate as a measure of effing up the cns - can't remember where I saw that one though...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yeah, I don't doubt that, just wondering there where that threshold is.

I'd like to work towards it of course, to see how it feels.

you really won't know until you get there. it's different for everyone.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think it's individual.

The only way to know is to try some programming and see how it affects you (all other things being equal like good hydration, good sleep adequate nutrition).

I know I've gone too far when simple tasks become difficult (like walking up a hill that's never normally a problem) and also when grip strength starts to tail off. Pavel tells of an old Russian dude who swore by increasing resting heart rate as a measure of effing up the cns - can't remember where I saw that one though...

I think that's in Easy Strength too, but it might be other places as well. (It's pretty to identify the source when you just have one)
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Don't you summon Cthulhu.
    ??????? I don't know you!
  • WeaponXI
    Options
    The threshold would be individual, based on fitness level, hydration level, nutrition levels at a particular time. (Too many variables to predict)
    Pushing yourself physically at over 90% for too long without any rest will tax your CNS. When you can't think straight, and your motor skills are dropping, heart rate increasing, and you're exhausted, but you can't sleep, chances are you're experiencing CNS Fatigue.
  • dbmata
    Options
    jimmmer - that makes a lot of sense. Reason the question came to mind was the deadlift item in the other thread. I'm currently deadlifting once a week, either for reps, or for weight. I'm planning to up that to 3x per week, once for weight, 2x for reps. Some weeks it might be 2x for weight, 1x for reps.

Essentially, if going down to the basement of my house and back up gets hard, I know I'm on the way to fatiguelandia, and should tone it back a bit.

My assumption though would be that muscular fatigue will occur prior to CNS fatigue.
  • WeaponXI
    Options
    Since you are upping your deadlifting, your body is not going to be used to it initially, so chances are you may experience muscle fatigue first, but again, its individual, so it's hard to predict.
    I used to squat and deadlift only once a week, but I've upped that to twice a week, and I've been doing that for 14 weeks now and I haven't had any issues. (Aside from the first 2 weeks some serious DOMS)
    The key is listen to your body, hydrate it, feed it, and give it rest.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Well, there's a lot of strong opinions in that other thread, that's for sure!

But there's no real right or wrong answer. Only what you, as an individual, can recover from.

I tried the coan/phillipi routine. Couldn't recover from it and instead of putting 10-20kg on my DL (as advertised) at the end I failed to pull for a single what I could do for 3x6 at the start. And that was DLing once a week. YMMV, of course.

Prior to that I was doing rep-progression and DLing twice a week (Reg pulls one day, Romanians the other) and had no problems recovering from that.

But work/home/eating/sleep/stress were different in both cases, so even comparing myself to myself there are differences that make it an unfair comparison. God alone knows how you'd do it for two separate human beings!
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Essentially, if going down to the basement of my house and back up gets hard, I know I'm on the way to fatiguelandia, and should tone it back a bit.

My assumption though would be that muscular fatigue will occur prior to CNS fatigue.

Climbing up stairs. Harder than it looks when you're overtrained!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

how do you propose that you'll recognize the difference?
  • dbmata
    Options

My training is that I may climb thousands. ;)

Makes a lot of sense. I'm going to be moving slowly with those DLs, just to see how it goes. If I find myself turning into a **** at home, time to dial back the volume. Besides, I just go to yoga for the viewing. and the stretching.

When you were successful with the DL progression, how much were you sleeping on avg?
  • jimmmer
    Options

My training is that I may climb thousands. ;)

Makes a lot of sense. I'm going to be moving slowly with those DLs, just to see how it goes. If I find myself turning into a **** at home, time to dial back the volume. Besides, I just go to yoga for the viewing. and the stretching.

When you were successful with the DL progression, how much were you sleeping on avg?

About 8 hours? That seems the sweet spot for me, personally. Some people do get by with less (I used to be one of them until a few years back).
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I figured it was a question the size of the Rock.

One reason it came to mind is that I'm ramping up my lifting volume, and intensity. Will my yoga, swimming, and climbing have negative effects on my CNS improvements?

Probably. Anything that stresses the body is going to have an effect, however small. It's one of the reasons I stopped doing all forms of cardio, it wasn't allowing me to maximize my lifts.

How much it affects you is going to be based on your age, your genetics, your food intake, hormone levels, intensity of workouts, everything.
    jimmmer - that makes a lot of sense. Reason the question came to mind was the deadlift item in the other thread. I'm currently deadlifting once a week, either for reps, or for weight. I'm planning to up that to 3x per week, once for weight, 2x for reps. Some weeks it might be 2x for weight, 1x for reps.

You're welcome to try DLing 3x a week but the wheels are probably going to fall off of your training sooner or later. In the beginning I liked DLs a lot so I started training them 2x a week. It went fine for a month or two, and then my lifts started plateauing. And then they started going backwards. I switched back to 1x a week and everything was fine. 3x a week would put me in a wheelchair. You're talking about the most stressful lift there is. I'm thinking you will probably regret it but sometimes you have to figure these things out for yourself.

Crap, at some point I realize I will probably have to DL 1x every other week. But I'm oldish and my DL is fairly heavyish.