Training for a Half marathon-Tips and Suggestions

Options
Hello!

I am considering busting my "*kitten*" and commit to training for a half-marathon. I was curious to know if anyone out there has any tips and suggestions. Now I do have a torn MCL and no ACL in my right knee and I need to lose about 50 pounds. I am pretty active as I already do cardio about 4 days a week for 45 minutes.

Any tips on favorite/helpful articles, foods dietary lifestyle regimens, past experiences, "before and afters" would be most helpful. Thank you!

Replies

• cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Marathonrookie.com has a great beginner training program. It's really on the "easy conservative" side of training plans. Do NOT worry about your speed or time - get your miles in to get your body ready for the big day. Good luck and smile when they take your picture corssing the finish line.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Marathonrookie.com has a great beginner training program. It's really on the "easy conservative" side of training plans. Do NOT worry about your speed or time - get your miles in to get your body ready for the big day. Good luck and smile when they take your picture corssing the finish line.

^^this.
    You can absolutely do this!
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I already subscribe to runner's world. Marathon rookie I will check out!
  • faithnfitnesss
    faithnfitnesss Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon in April and would love to give you some tips!!
    I will message you directly! :)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 4th half in September. For my first one I just tried to be out running as much as possible gaining distances. The hardest part was boredom with runnng routes!
    I think you just have to build it up as you feel able and ready. Some days I did short runs, other days that were going well I'd try for more distances.
    Try and cross-train - this is something I wish I'd done when I started running. It makes a huge difference, especially in regard to staying injury free.
    If you feel like you have a injury or you knee etc is hurting a little. Lay off it and let it recover before going out again. Rest is vital to the programme.
    Get to know what foods work for your running and times between eating and running that don't upset your stomach.
    Rest for about 2 days before the race.
    Enjoy race day - the commoraderie from the other runners and the crowd/stewards is brilliant and really motivating, and from this you will find that you will probably do better on race day than any of your training runs.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Bump. :)
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have done a few 1/2's, I find the most important thing is to slowly increase speed and mileage to avoid injury, add in some cross training to build endurance, and most of all enjoy it!!!! Good luck to you, you will do great!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am pretty active as I already do cardio about 4 days a week for 45 minutes.

Assuming that you don't run already that gives you a decent base to build on. going from a standing start it's concievable to get to half marathon distance in about 20 weeks, although that doesn't leave you any contingency for injury or hiccups in your progress.

Personally I did my first half marathon distance about 9 months after starting with a Couch to 5K plan, but I was pretty unfit at the time when I started.
    Any tips on favorite/helpful articles, foods dietary lifestyle regimens, past experiences, "before and afters" would be most helpful. Thank you!

Essentially I'd recommend getting yourself on a training plan. Runners World has several, equally several of the SmartPhone tracking apps have options on them; Runkeeper and Endomondo have them free or included in their premium versions, with Runtastic their paid add ons.

I'd also look at your diary and work out practicality. You'll fairly quickly need to be carving out 60-90 minutes four times per week with a steady ramp up to 3 hours at least once, sometimes twice per week.

Standard advice, particularly as you have knee issues, is to get yourself a couple of pairs of dedicated running shoes appropriate to your gait, and track their mileage. With that in mind I'd reinforce the value of some form of tracking app, if nothing else it automates that mileage process.

So where are you in terms of running capacity at the moment?