Has anyone given up on reaching their goal weight?

Options
Has anyone given up on reaching their goal weight and decide to start maintaining instead when they reached a certain weight as it gets harder as you get lighter?

Replies

• tar0809
    tar0809 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given up, but I don't worry about it was much. I know eventually I will get there but sometimes I just don't give a rats *kitten* about getting to my GW. Sometimes you just have to not be so anal or strict for awhile and then get back to it. I know that's what I do now. I've been at my current weight for about 5 months now without much weight loss and some days I'm ok with that then others I'm like nope I need to start losing again.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I am tempted to quit trying because it's been 2 months and I haven't lost a thing at all. The only thing I changed was adding in exercise 5 days a week. I am beyond annoyed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think this would largely depend on if your goal weight was actually realistic...a lot of people just arbitrarily pick a weight without understanding their frame, body composition, etc. For example, while there are many 5'10" guys out there who weigh 150 Lbs or so and that would be right in the middle of healthy BMI for me...but it would be completely unrealistic for me to get down to that weight...to do so would require me to burn up a lot of muscle, not just fat.

So I guess it just depends on whether or not you set a goal that was actually realistic or not. Personally, I never went by scale weight for a goal..it's very arbitrary and made of of numerous things, only one of which is fat. BF% and composition is much better.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have days I feel like I wanna give up because I'm so close to that number I originally set(btw I wanna lose between 75&85 pounds before I kind of re evaluate) on those days I talk to either my mom or my friends and tell them how I'm feeling. I know it sounds stupid but just talking it through reminds me of why I started this process in the first place and reminds me that I would only be hurting myself if I walked away from this(and proving my dad right which would kill me haha). By the way, my dad predicted that I'd quit and gain it all back....and then some. Oh and yes I agree....it's a lot harder now that I'm lighter but I don't let that stop me.
  • japaneseboy
    japaneseboy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Why should it get (noticably) harder to lose weight as you get lighter? I've seen that statement multiple times now and i don't understand the rationale and personally, i can't confirm it at all.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to attain a goal WEIGHT and have instead focused more on goal SIZE...i don't care if i am 200lbs if I am healthy and fit comfortably into a size 8. Since i started lifting, I haven't lost much in terms of pounds, but have lost quite a bit in terms of inches.
  • Cjmi427
    Cjmi427 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My goal weight was kind of randomly chosen. I had been 115 at my lowest weight while breastfeeding and felt pretty good about it, so that's what I picked.
    Then I started seeing pics of MFP ladies who were lifting weights and looked fab! I also looked at that site where they show pictures of people who all weigh the same but their bodies look totally different. I decided that it was time to rethink my goal weight.
    I was pretty close to my goal weight when I switched my calorie goal to maintenance, started lifting and eating back most of my exercise calories.
    I've lost a couple more pounds since then and I notice changes in my body from lifting. I still weigh myself, but I rely more on measurements and pictures now.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I am tempted to quit trying because it's been 2 months and I haven't lost a thing at all. The only thing I changed was adding in exercise 5 days a week. I am beyond annoyed.

You might want to reevaluate the amount of calories you're taking in. I know since I do the TDEE method, that they recommend adjusting your calories after about 10 pounds lost. You might be taking in too many calories for your current weight.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Why should it get (noticably) harder to lose weight as you get lighter? I've seen that statement multiple times now and i don't understand the rationale and personally, i can't confirm it at all.

Because when you're fatter, you use more calories, so you can eat more food and still maintain a substantial deficit.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Maybe you are burning less than you think and thus eating a bit too much?
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    I actually set my goal weight about 15 pounds higher than what I'd really like to weigh, just being realistic. I'm within about 12-13 pounds of my goal and still losing several pounds a month. When I reach my goal (when, not if) I will re-evaluate whether I want to maintain or keep going.:ohwell:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Sort of. A trainer told me years ago that I should definitely stay under 120 lbs and my dr would also like me to be between 113-118. I stay around 122-127, not higher than 132.

As long as I'm active and eating right, I don't make myself crazy.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Because when you're fatter, you use more calories, so you can eat more food and still maintain a substantial deficit.

Ecxactly ,you also burn less calories when you are lighter than someone who is heavy. Your calorie deficient also get reduced so when I don't work since I have an active job or exercise ,I struggle and fee weak all the time since my body is yearning for more calories
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    given up here
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I got within 5 pounds of goal weight and STAYED THERE for more than a year.... SO. Then I upped my GOAL, thinking if I was ten pounds away from goal weight, it would trick me int losing 5.

I am either too smart to be tricked by stupid me, or too dumb to be able to trick my clever self...one of those.

It has been almost 17 months since I got here. I am tempted to just say OH WELL and change THIS to my goal weight except I feel certain -- CERTAIN! I would immediately gain five pounds.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    As I've lost weight, I've become significantly more active, which probably counteracts the tendency to lose at a slower rate because of a lower calorie requirement.
  • strongereveryday7
    strongereveryday7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Never threw in the towel and given up completely, but I have had plenty of setbacks! I just try to re-evaluate my goals and objectives to ensure they are realistic and attainable, then "get back on the horse" so to speak! :)
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    given up here

what was your original goal weight and how far have you made it?
  • strongereveryday7
    strongereveryday7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As I've lost weight, I've become significantly more active, which probably counteracts the tendency to lose at a slower rate because of a lower calorie requirement.

I don't know you, but I'm uber proud of your progress! Keep up the good work. What an inspiration and proof that hard work pays off! :)