Help me pick my dinner please!

Options
Going to a Mexican restaurant tonight, don't want to go crazy.
What would you recommend, i will probably have 600 to 750 calories for dinner available.

http://www.barrabarrasaloon.com/menu.html

Replies

• TriClaudia
    TriClaudia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Guacamole, fajitas, go with corn tortillas and skip the rice. If you like pork, the puerco colorado looks tempting. Still, skip the rice and go with corn tortillas instead of flour.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Shrimp cocktail and grilled swordfish tacos?

Or fajitas and skip the tortilla and eat ALL of the fillings :)

I'm going to the Chargers game tonight and it's Mexican tailgate night, so we'll see how good I can be. Probably not very!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Going to a Mexican restaurant tonight, don't want to go crazy.
    What would you recommend, i will probably have 600 to 750 calories for dinner available.

http://www.barrabarrasaloon.com/menu.html

I would choose:

* Flat iron steak with sauteed poblanos, onions, mushrooms + roasted tomatoes + pepper jack cheese ~ around 385 calories +/-
    * Mexican Charro beans 140 calories +/-
    * Grilled corn salad 130 calories +/-
    * Jalapeno cheddar cornbread - 150 to 425 per slice [skip this]
    * 2 flour tortillas 180 calories +/-

Beverage ~ Chilled water with ice
    Dessert ~ skip it.

ETA: Add tortillas. Your guestimated calories should be around 695 to 700 calories, depending on their cooking methods. I would leave a slight overage @750 budgeted calories for the jic prep methods.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Honestly, not sure if this helped or just made me more hungry
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    One of the fish dishes - sea bass, swordfish or tuna. That way, you avoid the calorie laden cheese and breads. Swap the fries for salad or fresh seasonal veg. With only 750 calories, you will have to skip desert whatever you go for. To be really good, stick with diet sodas to drink or water; if you must have alcohol, a spirit is (IMO) better calorific value than a beer or wine! Good luck and enjoy!
  • mrastaffordML
    Options
    I'd go with either the fajitas and don't go over bored on the tortillas and rice or if they have a chicken soup. It's usually made out of chicken broth and tomatoes.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    One of the fish dishes - sea bass, swordfish or tuna. That way, you avoid the calorie laden cheese and breads. Swap the fries for salad or fresh seasonal veg. With only 750 calories, you will have to skip desert whatever you go for. To be really good, stick with diet sodas to drink or water; if you must have alcohol, a spirit is (IMO) better calorific value than a beer or wine! Good luck and enjoy!

????? wine for the win on calories vs spirit drinks. beer not so much but wine is low carb/sugar and basically only 123 calories for a 5 ounce glass.
    3 ounces of margarita is 150 calories and usually you get much more than 3 ounces at a restaurant.

fajitas are usually cooked in a TON of oil. I'd ask for something grilled. like actually grilled. Definitely skip any rice dishes as mexican rice usually again has a ton of oil. corn tortillas ftw. ie. whatever kind of meat you normally like ask for it grilled with a side of veggies (Grilled not cooked in oil. specify that you don't want it cooked in oils) and corn tortillas. mexican restaurants are SO easy to get in deep with the fat.