I need a miracle

Options
Hi new friends,

I am happy to have found this place!

I am a 49 year old mom of two teens and have struggled with my weight for my entire life. I am about 140 lbs. overweight according to the BMI scales.

That is terrifying to me.

I have spent many years trying to eat healthily, followed by years of falling off the wagon, and have yo-yoed to the highest weight I have ever been.

My doctor, for years now, has been trying to get me to consider gastric bypass. I have been very resistant to this, because I have heard so many horror stories about the after effects... and the devestation of relapse.

But here's the thing, so much research suggests that the obese really ARE wired differently. And I have failed so many times in the past, I am just not sure I can really do this. This being losing 100+ pounds and keeping it off FOREVER.

So that is my brief story.

The only thing I want to add is that I am a woman of deep faith, and I truly do believe that even if I am not capable, God is. So yes, I am praying for the miracle to happen. For me, losing the weight isn't really the problem, it is the relapse afterwards. I am praying that this time is the last time.

I would LOVE to hear from people who have kept a large amount of weight off. How have you done it?

Blessings,
Rachel

Replies

• SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Oh, Rachel, I am so glad you joined. I would love for you to add me as a friend so I may journey with you. I am thanking the Lord that He brought you here. It is such a great, encouraging, community. Would love to partner with you in prayer that this will be a successful, fun, and uplifting time in your life. Hugs! ~Skye
  • jacquib234
    jacquib234 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Jacqui and have also been battling my weight for, well, forever. I'm 50 and am having some success, along with the good and bad days that we all suffer. I'll send a separate friend request which I hope you'll accept as you sound like you are of a similar person to me. Good Luck for the journey you are about to start.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    When it becomes the number 1 priority in your life, then it's much more achievable. There are times in your life you have to be a little selfish till you get where you need to be. An understanding family will support that.
    A truly motivated person will reach their goal regardless of the obstacles and setbacks. Just don't take too long to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    While I can't say I have lost a 100 pounds (yet!) that is pretty close to my goal. I have lost 52 pounds since October. This is after getting bad news in about September of last year that I was considered "borderline" for diabetes. My wife has it...and I didn't want it and knew I had to make changes.

Here's how I've done it so far:
    1) To get a good START on losing weight, I focused on only ONE of my macros. I chose to make it fat as we learened in a diabetes prevention class at my local YMCA that for the same weight, fat requires the most energy expenditure to burn. (If you are also pre-diabetic, you might consider checking with your local YMCA to see if they offer the class..I know it was free through my employer's healthcare provider but I'm not sure if the class is free...or if the health insurance was paying for it in hopes of keeping me from being "more expensive" to the company later. You'll be with others, set goals, weigh-in and have at least short-term free access to the Y's equipment.)
    2) Once you hit your first "magic number" goal (say around 10-15 pounds) STOP obsessing about that macro. Some people are really good at getting all the numbers to line up without feeling deprived but most of us aren't. If you are burning more calories than you are eating...overall...it really won't matter too much in the end if you overdo on sodium or carbs or fat or sugar or yadda yadda yadda unless you have a specific medical reason to watch more than just calories. Make your focus now keeping your numbers "in the green" for most of the week. Since MFP is setup to give you a calorie deficit everyday based on your activity level and weight loss goals, if you're in the green, even if it's "just barely" you will see weight loss.
    2) Get used to logging what you eat...everything you eat. I have not been able to be one of those people who use food scales..but I do try and come up with a good estimate of what I'm eating and use the trackers here in MFP to help me hit my goals.
    3) Become more active. I am not a gym rat...but I do make sure now that I have no days where I have zero activity. If you have a gym at the office, use it during breaks...treadmill for 10 minutes three times a day = 30 minutes activity....just like recommended. If you can do that 5 days a week, you will see pounds start to drop.
    4) Change up your activities so you don't get bored. Walk/jog outside...instead of the treadmill..if weather's nice. Do stepper instead of elliptical.. go swimming..lift weights..play tennis/basketball..etc etc etc. Mixing up the ways you get active will help you not get tired of any one thing.
    5) Don't look at one day in the red as the "end" of your efforts. Many weeks I have a day that's in the red and still lose weight. MFP builds in a deficit..unless I have a huge calorie bomb one of the days, I still have a deficit and I still lose weight. In other words, I come in at around 600 calories under if I'm in the green. Let's assume that I'm OVER 3 days of the four by 200 calories. I would still have the equivalent of 600*4 or 2400 calories UNDER for the week...my loss might be less than it would with the full 4200 calories under but I'm still losing. Don't sabotage your overall goals with a binge or by giving up because you think you "blew it" one day.
    6) It's OK to have "junk" food if you look at it in terms of budgeting for it in your day.. Extra exercise = more I get to eat. WHAT I choose to eat in those calories is up to me..yeah I can eat a whole lot more spinach than ice cream for 200 calories but when I want ice cream, that's what I want.

Good luck...and go get 'em
  • Rachelwin65
    Rachelwin65 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! I appreciate it. Great advice so far.

Skye, I would love to friend you... but am not sure how!
  • Rachelwin65
    Options
    Oh, wait, I figured it out!
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You did it!!! Thanks!!! I am here anytime you need me. While I do not have a huge amount to lose right now, I have lost the same weight over and over again for years. Up and down, I have gone. This time, though, I have found a way to eat, live, and stick with it. I will help you however I can to achieve your goal. If you just need an ear......I am here. So happy to have met you!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    HI and welcome to MFP. I love this place (I may break into a country song here :laugh:)

These are a few things I learned along the way.

1. No one at the gym, park, neighborhood or track, are looking at you. They are thinking “Man, I ought to get out there too!!”

2. Modify. Any exercise can be done at any stage of strength, you just have to modify. Don’t say “I can’t” say MODIFY…….cannot do a full out squat? Go ½ down. Don’t worry about finishing the whole video, or doing the steps right……..YOUR DOING MORE THAN BEFORE!! Woot!!

3. Make friends for support. MFP friends will ALWAYS want to hear how you walked 2 steps further than yesterday. Encouraging others was KEY in my life change, and sticking to it.

4. Eat to live, don’t live to eat.

5. Measure all your food.

6. Eat at least ½ your exercise calories each day.

7. WHEN you plateau keep going. That pound you are waiting to lose may be just around the corner, but that binge stopped it! Give your body time to adjust.

8. Strength training is awesome!!

9. Send me money……..Oh wait…….that isn’t part of the plan, but it sure would be nice!! LOL

10. You never know when a medical emergency is going to occur. IF you are eating right, exercising more, you will have a greater chance at full recovery. (I had heart surgery and it went well, and recovery was quick!)

11. When you screw up (and you will) go back to step one!!!

12. You are not the sum of someone else's words.

13. You CAN do it!
  • gotonenerveleft
    gotonenerveleft Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You've received some wonderful advice already. I don't have that much to lose but would love to be friends to help, motivate, and encourage each other.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    with seven months under my belt, and 100 lbs gone, this is my advice (please note, I am not a dietician or a doctor. Just a guy who lost weight)

1) Get a food scale and measuring cup - this will help keep all of your portions under control and let you accurately log your food.

2) Always log your food - Log EVERYTHING you put into your body. EVERYTHING

3) Get some exercise - even if it is just 10 minutes of walking for the day, try to do something

4) Find your Calorie nitch - Even though MFP will tell you what you should be, make adjustments where you can and want. According to most people, I take in much less than I should for my height and weight (about 1200-1300 a day). However, I feel fine and I will adjust accordingly if I feel tired.

5) Stay hydrated - I ended up in the hospital within the 2nd month of weight loss. This was because I had not taken in the right amount of water for the amount of exercising.

6) Listen to your body. - Dont push too hard. Dont ignore symptoms. Always listen to what your body is telling you on pain and hunger.

7) Eat often - try to eat 5-6 meals a day. It keeps your system burning and metabolizing foods.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    One more thing I'd like to add to all the good advice you got so far:

Don't start too strict, take it slow.
    Maybe start logging what you eat for a week. Let's say you consume 3000 calories per day ( like I did at the beginning)... don't cut down to 1200 from now to then, because you won't be able to maintain this for a very long time. Start by cutting maybe 250 calories and eat 2750 calories for a week or 2, then cut some more. This will get you used to eating less without being overly hungry all the time.
    Same with exercise: if you've never worked out before, don't start with trying to run half an hour and doing zumba and bodypump classes right the first week. You'll not be able to do it, and you'll be terribly sore, and maybe you'll lose motivation faster than you'd wish.
    Take it slow, small steps, small changes and when you manage those, make them bigger or add some more.
    And do not cut out anything, because you'll miss it. Make those "bad habits" smaller.
    My weakness is chocolate. Well, instead of eating the whole package, I only eat one bar... There are days that I have to have a second one, and others where I can go without. Knowing that I still can have everything makes it easier!
  • crzdirector
    crzdirector Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm adding you to my prayer list. God can do amazing things and prayer is powerful. Lean into Him.

Secondly, congratulations on starting. Sometimes that is the hardest part. There are hundreds of people on this board that have started from similar and more perilous situations. They all did it the same way, hard work, diet, and exercise. There are no short cuts but it works. Keep after it and good luck.
  • Rachelwin65
    Options
    Thank you so much, guys. I appreciate all the heartfelt advice and welcome. And especially appreciate the prayers. So far I have had a couple of good days tracking a short walk yesterday. I plan to do that again today. One day at a time!