Nicest thing anyone has said about your weight!

Options
There is a thread, "rudest thing anyone has ever said about your weight?" After reading it, I was just shocked at all of the negative comments people have had to endure. But I'd love to hear the other side of that! A little pick me up for the day!

For me it was probably what my best friend's mom said when I lost a little bit of weight. She said, "Jillian, you look amazing! You're absolutely glowing." Then when my best friend and I were alone she said, "My mom told me, 'Jillian looks fantastic! She has always been beautiful, though.' "

I made a change to get healthier, and it's nice to be supported with a compliment instead of someone saying, "You don't have to lose weight. You're fine the way you are." It's meant to be a nice statement, but what's wrong with being healthy? So I loved that she understood my motives, but loved me before anyway.

I'd love to hear what your best comment/comments are.

Replies

• scasey1656
    scasey1656 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My brother and his wife were over with my nephew one day and they were both commenting on the amount of weight I lost saying that I looked really good. Then my 2 year old nephew looks at me and says "Why you so skinny Sarah?" Haha, it made my day. I'm not skinny by any means but it was pretty funny.
  • HamptonPhoenix
    HamptonPhoenix Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My brother and his wife were over with my nephew one day and they were both commenting on the amount of weight I lost saying that I looked really good. Then my 2 year old nephew looks at me and says "Why you so skinny Sarah?" Haha, it made my day. I'm not skinny by any means but it was pretty funny.

Awh!! I love it :D
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Nice! LOVE the positive twist! I read some of that other thread, too, but could not believe the stupidity that has been told to some people. Crazy. Not to mention mean and rude.

And, OP, it definitely depends on the delivery and the intent of the comment, but the way it was worded towards you was very thoughtful and had the correct effect. Super!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to add that I think if you are going to attempt to comment on someone's weight loss emphasizing the HEALTH aspects of it and the healthy benefits is the way to go. Making comments that are appearance-based only can imply that you didn't think they looked good before. Either way, it can be tricky!
  • HamptonPhoenix
    Options
    Nice! LOVE the positive twist! I read some of that other thread, too, but could not believe the stupidity that has been told to some people. Crazy. Not to mention mean and rude.

It breaks my heart! It was horrifying to me to read all of the negative comments!! Appearance based compliments are definitely tricky. I wish more people complimented on the health aspect as well. :)
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    Someone that I have known for 18 years told me the other day "Wow, I didn't realize how tall you are!". I guess that means my height is more obvious than my width now that I have started losing? I know I'm walking with a little more confidence lately, maybe that's what is making the difference. I'm not really that tall, I'm just taller than she is :).
  • HamptonPhoenix
    Options
    I know I'm walking with a little more confidence lately, maybe that's what is making the difference.

As you should!!! :D I love when people start gaining their confidence. It really does make a huge difference!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I agree, I really love those weight loss compliments & comments that include "but you've always been (insert positive adjective)".

On Saturday my husband and I went to a car show and we saw one of his friends there, and the guy is not a big talker or complimentary type of person. He said, "Man, it seems like every time I see you guys you look better". I really liked that, especially because I know this guy meant like //healthy// and just overall happy rather than "thin". It was cool.
  • HamptonPhoenix
    Options
    He said, "Man, it seems like every time I see you guys you look better". I really liked that, especially because I know this guy meant like //healthy// and just overall happy rather than "thin". It was cool.

I love that he said that too :) It's nice when people notice how hard you're working to be healthy! That's sweet!
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Man: Do you go to the gym?
    Me:...No.
    Man:Really? What do you do?
    Me...nothing
    Man: but you're so skinny! You look great...

Haha. It was actually super awkward because I'm a massage therapist, and he was my client.
    I always love being called skinny though xD
  • mandyosetti
    mandyosetti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was walking across the room towards a friend and she said to me "How much weight have you lost? You look really great!"
    It's nice when people start to notice. :)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    "You look like a million bucks."
    I heard that one three times in one day (twice by the same person, but whatever).
    It was also amusing to sit at a table with four people who I've known since high school and have to tell them who I was because they didn't recognize me.
  • HamptonPhoenix
    Options
    These are all so great :D Keep up the good work guys!! It's so cool to see people's reactions :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I was referred to as a Sylph!! I have been obese since 2nd grade so I actually blushed and got a little teary eyed. I love it when people say I am looking fit.
  • HamptonPhoenix
    Options
    I was referred to as a Sylph!! I have been obese since 2nd grade so I actually blushed and got a little teary eyed. I love it when people say I am looking fit.

Your weight loss is incredible!! :) Awesome work!!
  • BerriHan
    BerriHan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Earlier this year before I /really/ committed to losing weight, I would just occasionally watch what I ate, and biked/walked around the neighborhood.

I remember one time biking over to my grandma's house to say hi (I used to visit her almost on the daily) and I walked in and started talking to her (the whole time I was talking to her I was standing up) and she eyeballed me up and down and said "Whoa Hannah-Beth, your figure looks great!"

And that's the only time I remember being complimented on my body/figure/weight for as long as I can remember... ha
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    My husband is the sweetest man.. he is constantly telling me I look so pretty and I am so sexy. lately he wants to take me clothes shopping and dress me up. I think he thinks I am his new Barbie doll. I am serious. Its not even weird. its very flattering. I have had confidence issues most of my life even before I gained weight and I am telling you its because of him that I feel downright sexy and beautiful inside and out. I have to say his compiments trump all others cuz he also tells it like it is even when I don't want to hear it. He was never the man to ask if a pair of jeans makes you look bad (even when you already knew they did) he wont even lie a little. So his saying all these daily compliments and comments about how I look or what I am wearing is totally awesome to me.
  • HamptonPhoenix
    Options
    @foureyes94 Awh! That's so sweet that your grandmother said that!! :)

@FindingAmy77 I hope I find a man someday that thinks I'm that pretty and sexy!! Such a confidence booster :)