K-cup calories?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
If instant coffee is 5 calories a serving, surely a kcup is more than 0 calories? I know that 2 cups is not going to make or break my diet, but I'm curious... I've been using the Archer Farm ones, and the database says it's 0 calories.

Replies

• AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My San Francisco Bay brand ones are like 2 or 4
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The ones I have at work range from 2-4 calories a pod.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    calculate them the same way you would normal coffee grounds. a k-cup is nothing more than an individual serving of coffee grounds with a built-in filter. so all you're getting is normal coffee.

ETA: besides, you're drinking the flavored water, not eating the pod or the grounds inside.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i guess its not really 0 cals but not worth logging or worrying about either, and it seems like you feel that way anyway
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    For my Keurig, I only use Green Mountain brand Kcups and they are 2 calories for each K cup. It is the only thing that I don't log.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The ability to legally claim no calories and actually having no calories in a food item are very different things. A cup of black coffee is 2-9 calories depending on the site reporting the information. If you drink a lot of coffee, it can add up but one or two is negligible and falls within the margin of error.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I know that hot chocolate and the chai latte k-cups are 60 calories each, but the black coffee ones are 2-4 calories per serving.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    They're 4 calories, and they're listed on MFP. Some are 60 calories depending if it's got other things like caramel mixed in them.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    My sister in law is a nutritionist and I had asked her this as I was confused as well, she said all plain unflavored coffee and any tea has zero calories (if drinking it black/plain) due to the energy it takes consuming the caffeine as long as its brewed with water (not sure what else you would brew it with) . The calories you need to be concerned with most to log are any added sugar, cream, other things you might add to it. If you want to log it as 2 or 4 that's your choice but its probably negligible either way. I log mine because I just log everything including my water. Cheers.