sugar/fat

Options
Now when you have those nasty minus signs in red for your MACROS, but it is due to sugar found in veggies (and are not diabetic) or fat from nuts/hemp seeds etc. , and still maintain you calorie goal, will you gain weight?

Replies

• Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Nope. All that matters is that you're within your calorie target.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    no it's all about calories in vs. calories burned.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    That is actually not correct Jim. Stella, your calorie goal is your first goal but your macros are important too. You really should keep your fat % and carb % under 30% a piece to start with. It will make you feel better lose alittle more and help you tone up if you can get your protein higher.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    That is actually not correct Jim. Stella, your calorie goal is your first goal but your macros are important too. You really should keep your fat % and carb % under 30% a piece to start with. It will make you feel better lose alittle more and help you tone up if you can get your protein higher.

Actually you are incorrect.

I've lost 20 pounds in the last 40+ days without losing even an ounce of lean body mass, and I don't think there has been a single day on which I wasn't over on my sugar macro.

I also think my years as a certified trainer and working in the fitness industry might give me a tad more insight on the subject than you're giving me credit for.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not even a macro. It is a micronutrient. That said, I am trying to lower sugar at the moment, but due to a health issue. As a side effect, I find that I am eating less calories - but it isn't necessary.

While it's okay not to follow the ideal macros MFP sets, the general recommendation is to stay under 35% fat and MFP automatically sets it to 30%. I'm not a low-carb expert, but I think Paleo and other low-carb diets can have up to 40%. You may experience digestive issues with too much fat. However, it's not something I stress too much about.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Actually you are incorrect.

I've lost 20 pounds in the last 40+ days without losing even an ounce of lean body mass, and I don't think there has been a single day on which I wasn't over on my sugar macro.

I also think my years as a certified trainer and working in the fitness industry might give me a tad more insight on the subject than you're giving me credit for.

You have lost a lot of weight my gosh Jim:D

Ty all, I think too if it is from healthy sugar/fat it\s okay. Not like soda sugar or chocolate bars etc.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    The source of your carbs, fats, protein is important for health. Obviously, if you eat your calorie allotment with mostly candy bars and protein shakes, you're going to be missing out on vital nutrients.

For weight loss, sure you'll lose weight. It's calories in vs out, always. Unless you have a medical condition that complicates the math, that's how it works.

Focus on hitting your macros for body comp and your micros for health.

I eat a hilarious amount of sugar in my day and it isn't all from fruit(candy bars, ice cream, etc). I've had no issue losing weight, reducing bf% , etc. There's no need to stress avoiding foods. Just focus on nutrient density and meeting your goals. Put some stuff in there you enjoy and enjoy life :P
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard to meet both my calorie intake and my macros every day. I've looked over a lot of people's diary including those who were successful in losing weight and I find that almost no one meets both most days.

I have no problem being under my calorie goal which is now 1800, but when I try to reach 1800 I am always over on either fat or carbs. I try to focus on the protein which I have a hard time getting enough of, other than that I just adjust as I go. If I have fat on red I don’t have salmon, save it for tomorrow or keep only the egg whites instead of an egg….

I try to focus on keeping my fat macros within check most days of the week, but at least 2 days I let myself go over. With sugars it really depends where you are getting them from, the recommendation is to keep it as low as 24 grams a day (yeah right!) but from added sugars. Most foods contain natural sugars in them so it is really hard to keep track of which you are consuming. I have mine set at 60 grams per day but if I had fruit during the day I’m usually over, since those are natural sugars I don’t mind them.

I say try your best but don’t stress :wink: